inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite of these C.B.G.B.'s punk/proto-punk/new-wave artists?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/21/07 at 8:04 am

I know there are more, but I listed the most prominet ones.

Blondie is one of my favorite bands ever. They are the reason I got into  punk/new wave/underground/avant garde/independent/80's goth music. It all started when I got Blondie: Greatest Hits in 2005. I know they aren't really avant garde, are defintely not 80's goth, and are really hardly punk, but they led me to get into all kinds of underground/independent music. I probably would never have listened to The Smiths, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Roxy Music, etc. if it weren't for them. They had a HUGE impact on my taste, and I will always love them for that. Unfortunately, I hardly listen to them anymore, since I listend to Blondie and Debbie Harry albums constantly in 2005/06, and I'm kind of..............tired of them  :\'(. What sucks the most is that they aren't taken that serisously, and I can't stand it when people call them a "singles band"  >:(.

I have never really been able to get into The Ramones for some reason. I like them, but.......I don't know. They are really popular with kids at my school.....

Haven't been able to get into Talking Heads much either, but I have 5 of their albums anyway. I just can't stand David Byrne. I want to punch him everytime I see his face.

I like Patti Smith alot. I didn't really at first, but she's grown on me alot, and she's even the subject of a project I'm doing in my drawing class.

Along with Patti and Talking Heads, Television and Richard Hell seem to get the most "props" for their writing. I've got Marquee Moon, and I like it, but I hardly ever listen to it. I've got Blank Generation from The Voivoids, and it's good.

I really like The New York Dolls, and I like how they were sort of a trashier and grittier kind of glam rock band.

Subject: Re: Favorite of these C.B.G.B.'s punk/proto-punk/new-wave artists?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/21/07 at 8:26 am

The Ramones....always been my favorite band. I would have loved to have seen them perform there..back in the day.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/21/07 at 1:31 pm

I chose Patti Smith. ..."Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" ...  Such a dichotomy - beautiful poetry from someone so rough around the edges.

All the others are great too. 

Also, you are not alone in wanting to punch David Byrne in the head.  :P

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/21/07 at 3:52 pm

Well, since I'm something of a Talking Heads fan, they're my pick  ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/21/07 at 5:28 pm

Definitely Blondie for me.

Written By: NbC on 09/21/07 at 9:12 pm

Blondie gets my vote

Written By: whiteport on 09/21/07 at 10:18 pm

I voted Ramones

Written By: Brigitte on 09/24/07 at 6:47 pm

I like the Talking Heads! Stop Making Sense is one of my favorite movies/albums.
David Byrne is so theatrical when he performs, check him out with his "BIG" suit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r7X3f2gFz4

Check for new replies or respond here...