inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prog Rock

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/02/07 at 3:40 pm

Though Prog Rock started in 1967, it flourished in the 70's. But when Disco came, it shattered Prog Rock.

Subject: Re: Prog Rock

Written By: loki 13 on 10/02/07 at 5:52 pm

I see a poll with Emerson Lake & Palmer I have to cast a vote.

I am a prog rocker from way back, ELP is my favorite along with Triumvirat and Nektar. I don't think disco really
had any bearing on progressive rock, like all good music it just evolved. Todays symphonic/opera metal definitely
has it's roots in progressive rock.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/02/07 at 6:09 pm

Ooh, I love classic prog rock.

Hard choice but I went with King Crimson. Even though Court of the Crimson King came out in '69.

Written By: Tia on 10/02/07 at 6:18 pm

definitely "yes" for me. i'm wondering if pink floyd might be on there.

i think for such a maligned category, a lot of the higher-end "jam bands" working today do something kinda approximating progrock. i'm thinking like medeski, martin and wood -- whose praises i've sung here before -- mainly. it's different but as rewarding to listen to. i miss the cornball mysticism of bands like yes and ELP, though. music should be really earnest like that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/02/07 at 6:24 pm

I think Pink Floyd is more Psychedelic than Progressive. I dunno, I'm not one to label things apart from: what I like & what I don't.

Written By: Tia on 10/02/07 at 6:28 pm

I think Pink Floyd is more Psychedelic than Progressive. I dunno, I'm not one to label things apart from: what I like & what I don't.

they seem like they're in between. not jokey or faddish like the 13th floor elevators, strawberry alarm clock or status quo (not to take anything away from those fine, fine acts) but not as technically ostentatious as someone like king crimson. i dunno, i think they started flirting with prog rockishness when they started getting into that long heavy concept stuff -- meddle up to the wall, that whole period. after their reunion they became more like a glorified soft rock band, unfortunately. i always liked gilmour more than roger waters but he needed waters to keep him from veering too far in the foo-foo bunny rabbit musical direction.

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/07 at 11:15 pm

I picked other so I can name a great Canadian Prog rock band:  Klaatu

'Dear Christine' and 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft' are just awesome !

Written By: Lindee on 10/05/07 at 11:54 am

Genesis

Although I do like ELP and Yes

Written By: NbC on 10/13/07 at 4:14 am

Other:

Alan Parsons Project and Pink Floyd

Written By: Tia on 10/19/07 at 3:21 pm

so i’m listening to this

http://www.progrockradio.com/

all day at long at work. just trying to learn some basics. some of it’s really good. some of it is, wow, really not.

my notes.

ayreon
little atlas -- paranoiac
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Pazzo Fanfano Di Musica -- La Dolce Follia -- well, not really.
Transatlantic
Pure Reason Revolution
Porcupine Tree?? actually it’s pretty damn dull.
Uriah Heep
Frogg Cafe (it’s horrible but damn funny.)
Harmonium, alternates between cool and totally gay. great phasory guitar tone.
Epidaurus -- chilled out almost to a fault. then the vocals come in and it all falls completely apart. it’s actually also kind of funny.

Written By: Tia on 10/25/07 at 9:10 am

having gone back and listened to these bands again transatlantic is the only one i still like. well, and uriah heep but he’s ancient.

Check for new replies or respond here...