inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rocky Horror

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/19/07 at 6:56 pm

What do you think of the best cult film ever made?

Subject: Re: Rocky Horror

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/20/07 at 1:41 am

I liked bits and pieces of the film cinematicly, half of the fun in watching this though is the audiance participation.

Written By: Brigitte on 10/20/07 at 8:44 am

I could never understand this cult film, What's with the toast?

Written By: loki 13 on 10/20/07 at 8:56 am

I could never understand this cult film, What's with the toast?

This is an audience participation movie, including props. The toast is to throw in in air when Frankenfurter
raises his glass and says, "A toast," to his guest at dinner. Toilet paper is also thrown when Dr. Scott
is first introduced (Scott Tissue). Water guns and newspapers simulate Brad and Janet walking in the
rain towards the castle.

To really enjoy this movie you have to see it in a theater with full audience participation. I've seen this movie every
Friday and Saturday night from 1982 to 1985. The audience makes it a cult classic, the movie itself is pretty bad.

Written By: loki 13 on 10/20/07 at 9:45 am

I haven't seen this movie in a theater in over 20 years, I've seen it on DVD but it's just not the same. I
remember the opening song and what the audience says during the song, at least the Philadelphia area
audience, I'm sure it's different elsewhere. Opening song lyrics, audience parts in parenthesis.

Lips :
Michael Rennie was ill
The Day the Earth Stood Still
But he told us where we stand...(on our feet.)
And Flash Gordon was there
In silver underwear
Claude Rains was The Invisible Man...(I didn't see 'im.)
Then something went wrong
For Fay Wray and King Kong...(she went ape sh*t.)
They got caught in a celluloid jam
Then at a deadly pace
It Came From...(Where?)... Outer Space
And this is how the message ran...(Freeze those lips.)

Science fiction(ooh ooh ooh) double feature
Doctor X...(will screw a creature.)...will build a creature
See androids fighting (and f***ing and s***ing on)... Brad and Janet
Anne Francis stars in (ooh ooh ooh) Forbidden Planet
Wo oh oh oh oh oh
At the late night, double feature, picture show

I knew Leo G. Carroll...(Was f***ing a barrel)
Was over a barrel
When Tarantula took to the hills
And I really got hot
When I saw...(Janet's tw*t).. Janette Scott
Fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills...(What the f***'s a triffid?)
Dana Andrews said prunes
Gave him...(The sh*ts)... the runes
And passing them used lots of skills....(yay skills!)
But When Worlds Collide...(audience claps hands together.)
Said George Pal...(Who the hell is George Pal?)...to his bride
I'm gonna give you some terrible thrills
Like a...(X-ray.)

Science fiction (ooh ooh ooh) double feature
Doctor X...(will screw a creature)...will build a creature
See androids fighting... (and f***ing  and s***ing on)... Brad and Janet
Anne Francis stars in (ooh ooh ooh) Forbidden Planet
Wo oh oh oh oh oh
At the late night, double feature, picture show
I wanna go -..(but I'm already here.).. Oh oh oh oh
To the late night, double feature, picture show
By R.K.O. - Wo oh oh oh
In the back row -(F*** the back row. No, you f*** the back row. We'll all f*** the back row. Gang bang the back row.)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/20/07 at 11:09 am

i'm a cult movie fan, but i've never been able to get into this film as much as other people. But I love the song "Science Fiction/Double Feature", and the "Sweet Transvestite", "Rose Tint My World", and "Don't Dream It, Be It" scenes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/07 at 1:20 pm

It was not created to be an audience participation film but evolved into one. I love everything about the film, the music, the cast, etc.-yeah, it does lose something watching it on video/DVD rather than seeing it in the theatre. But, the nice thing about watching it in my living room is that I can REALLY sing along with it.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Capt Quirk on 10/21/07 at 4:19 pm

This is an audience participation movie, including props. The toast is to throw in in air when Frankenfurter
raises his glass and says, "A toast," to his guest at dinner. Toilet paper is also thrown when Dr. Scott
is first introduced (Scott Tissue). Water guns and newspapers simulate Brad and Janet walking in the
rain towards the castle.

To really enjoy this movie you have to see it in a theater with full audience participation. I've seen this movie every
Friday and Saturday night from 1982 to 1985. The audience makes it a cult classic, the movie itself is pretty bad.

I can't believe you forgot the rice! What's a wedding without throwing rice at the new couple?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/21/07 at 7:06 pm

Water guns and newspapers simulate Brad AS*hcroft*SHOLE and Janet SLUT! walking in the rain towards the castle.

Fixed that for ya.

As you pointed out, the film itself is (good, bad, and) mediocre.  It's the audience partici---TYPE IT!---pation that makes the film.  The closest thing in recent film history was Snakes on a Plane, which lasted only for a few days, and never got enough fans to keep the joke going.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 10/22/07 at 8:33 am

"For Fay Wray and King Kong...(she went ape sh*t.)
They got caught in a celluloid jam"

That's not the way I remember it, but a few years have passed too. The way I learned it- "They got caught in a celluloid jam... (69!)"
But yes, I'm sure it is quite different from region to region. I actually had to rent the movie, just to see what was happening without the audience participating all over the place.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/22/07 at 6:03 pm

Per my bio-

I am a 5-Cast veteran of this magnificent piece of fluff.

And yes, I have a (CENSORED) neck.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 10/22/07 at 9:19 pm

Back when I had seen it live for the first time, I was working at a full service gas station. There was this cute red-headed girl that used to stop there to gas up fairly regularly... and I couldn't help but feel like I had seen her elsewhere. Then it dawned on me, she was Janet, and her boyfriend was Frank! Small world. But, as it turned out, she was also an excellent actress and singer with the local theater group.

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/07 at 8:47 pm

What do you think of the best cult film ever made?

Personally I think its over rated... all though I do like the Time Warp (but I will attribute that to the fact that I was first introduced to the Time Warp in the film Fame)

I liked bits and pieces of the film cinematicly, half of the fun in watching this though is the audiance participation.

In the mid 80s I worked at movie theater.  The decided, for a short time, to show the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Fridays and Saturdays. It was the first I had heard of it. I didn't know about the audience participation until I had to clean the theater after the first screening. It sucked. I still won't go near lentils today. 

My co workers and I had enough after the second or third week. During the rain scene we dumped a bucket of water over the back row. They were PO'd.  they came out to yell out my boss. we didn't get fired tho cuz she was up in the booth with us!  ;D

I guess they complained to corporate because we didn't have to show it after that weekend.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 10/27/07 at 4:41 am

Well, this splendid film is not for everyone, like anything else in life.

Such as Rottweilers, and Grape leaves stuffed with Brussells Sprouts.
And -ESPECIALLY- Larry the Cable Dork.

8-P

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/07/07 at 7:11 am

I am actually a bit of a purist when it comes to RHPS. I prefer to watch it unadulterated - ie without and audience and definitely without audience participation.

My friend and I actually held a Guiness World Record back in the mid 80s for watching it more times than anyone else in a single year. I cant remember our exact number but it equaled out to twice a day for 365 days.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 11/07/07 at 7:59 am

I think you have to watch the DVD at least once, just to hear what is really happening in the movie. It's not nearly as entertaining that way, but at least you know.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/07 at 2:20 pm

I am actually a bit of a purist when it comes to RHPS. I prefer to watch it unadulterated - ie without and audience and definitely without audience participation.

My friend and I actually held a Guiness World Record back in the mid 80s for watching it more times than anyone else in a single year. I cant remember our exact number but it equaled out to twice a day for 365 days.

I do remember when people bragged about how many times they saw it. When I first heard of it - 1980 (I know, I was a late bloomer  :-[ )  I was doing summer stock that year and there were a few girls bragging they they saw it 130 times or 58 times, etc. I looked at them and said very sheepishly that I never saw it (I was almost embarrassed to tell them that I never even heard of it). The all looked at me at started calling me a virgin. I knew that I needed to change that.  ;D ;D  I never did keep track on how many times I saw it. To me, that never mattered. What mattered is the fact that I have seen it enough times so I can say the lines/sing the songs/do the dances etc.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/07/07 at 3:23 pm

There are many people who either hate the film, or just like to criticize it.

The whole point to the film is that it was never meant to be a cinematci gem.
Richard O'Brien wrote it intentionally to be a B-Film, as it is an homage to B-Films.

Honestly, though- how many other films can one say have evolved into an "audience-friendly" film?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/07 at 9:10 pm

RHPS is one of the most overrated and over-attended films of all time.  It's total crap.  Not kitsch, not camp, not b-movie so-bad-it's-good.  Total crap. 

That's just one man's opinion.  I'm not interested in persuading fans to change their minds, so disregard my remarks if you disagree.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/07/07 at 11:41 pm

RHPS is one of the most overrated and over-attended films of all time.  It's total crap.  Not kitsch, not camp, not b-movie so-bad-it's-good.  Total crap. 

That's just one man's opinion.  I'm not interested in persuading fans to change their minds, so disregard my remarks if you disagree.

I respect your opinion, and I think we agree to disagree.

Written By: Banks on 11/08/07 at 11:32 pm

Oh My God, I LOVE Rocky Horror...Both the stage play and the movie!!!

Was taken to the stage play as a five or six year old...and saw the movie not long after...While its true (at least for me) that audience participation is awsome, its also great just as a movie musical comedy. My wife has never seen it in the cinema and has only ever seen it on TV and VHS. I have most of the various VHS releases (only because I was scared the original one I bought back in the early 1980's would wear out, though it never did) and I own the original UK cast recording, the original US cast recording, the original Australian cast recording, and the original motion picture soundtrack on vinyl as well as the single Time Warp also on vinyl...And I have two or three versions of the movie soundtrack on CD plus one or two various cast recordings on CD as well...I also own Shock Treatment on VHS and DVD and the soundtrack on CD plus the single Shock Treatment (which is the only good song from the film if you ask me). The movie wasnt very good at all really, unlike RHPS.

AN

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/07 at 10:57 am

Oh My God, I LOVE Rocky Horror...Both the stage play and the movie!!!

Was taken to the stage play as a five or six year old...and saw the movie not long after...While its true (at least for me) that audience participation is awsome, its also great just as a movie musical comedy. My wife has never seen it in the cinema and has only ever seen it on TV and VHS. I have most of the various VHS releases (only because I was scared the original one I bought back in the early 1980's would wear out, though it never did) and I own the original UK cast recording, the original US cast recording, the original Australian cast recording, and the original motion picture soundtrack on vinyl as well as the single Time Warp also on vinyl...And I have two or three versions of the movie soundtrack on CD plus one or two various cast recordings on CD as well...I also own Shock Treatment on VHS and DVD and the soundtrack on CD plus the single Shock Treatment (which is the only good song from the film if you ask me). The movie wasnt very good at all really, unlike RHPS.

AN

I do agree with you that Shock Treatment sucked-but I must admit that I do like the music from it.

Cat

Written By: runner69 on 11/13/07 at 9:14 pm

i had a girfriend that used to drag me to see it weekly at a midnight showing......it always bored me to tears..fell asleep most everytime :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/07 at 11:18 pm

The real Rocky Horror ...

http://www.filmjunk.com/spacejunk/wp-content/images/movies/Rocky6.jpg

"Adrian!  I caught you in bed with Clubber Lang.  You two timed me bitch and now you're gonna die!"

;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/14/07 at 12:19 am

That's OK.

I'm sure you'd all get emphatic if someone attacked stuff you guys like, too.

Written By: schaefman on 11/17/07 at 10:09 pm

I used to work at a movie theater where we ran this as a Midnight Show on Friday and Saturday nights. It was a blast, because there were lots of people that really got into it, and came in costume, with all of the props and everything. They would stand up at the front of the theater, and act the whole thing out.

Every now and then, we'd get a couple that heard about the movie, and came to check it out, but got all put out by the crowd. The Managed just gave them a pass to regular movie, explaining that this is what the Rockie Horror was all about.

Good memories.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/18/07 at 4:21 am

I used to work at a movie theater where we ran this as a Midnight Show on Friday and Saturday nights. It was a blast, because there were lots of people that really got into it, and came in costume, with all of the props and everything. They would stand up at the front of the theater, and act the whole thing out.

Every now and then, we'd get a couple that heard about the movie, and came to check it out, but got all put out by the crowd. The Managed just gave them a pass to regular movie, explaining that this is what the Rockie Horror was all about.

Good memories.

I am a veteran of 5 casts, and a co-founder of 2.
I have many good memories of this film.

.........And the ones who attacked RHPS or were asleep, were usually the ones who got TP'ed by the rest of the audience. ;D ;D 8)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/08/07 at 5:40 am

I took my RHPS addiction to a whole new level yesterday - I got a tattoo.

Its the Rocky lips and they are about 2 and a half inches wide ! On the inside of my left ankle.

Its as itchy as hell today!!!

When its all healed nicely I will put a photo up.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/08/07 at 8:15 am

Ever taken the Rocky Purity Test, I was 88.3% Rocky pure. With only an 11.7% Rocky corrupt rating I feel shamed.  :-[

Rocky Purity Test, how corrupt are you?

http://www.rockymusic.org/purity.php

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/08/07 at 11:03 pm

Sheesh I consider my self an addict (having been in the Guiness Book of World Records for Rocky viewings) and even I could barely tick most of those questions!

My results were
You answered "yes" to 41 of 230 questions, making you 82.2% rocky pure (17.8% rocky corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 10%, based on a comparison of your test results with 73563 other submissions for this test.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/10/07 at 4:08 am

Damn!

I must be slipping!
My official results: -You answered "yes" to 119 of 230 questions, making you 48.3% rocky pure (51.7% rocky corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 42%

Years ago, I was 75% Rocky Corrupt!
What the %^!*(*)@? happened to me?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/07 at 4:21 pm

Your Rocky Horror Purity Test Results
You answered "yes" to 26 of 230 questions, making you 88.7% rocky pure (11.3% rocky corrupt).
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 4%, based on a comparison of your test results with 73563 other submissions for this test.

Strange test.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 12/20/07 at 6:52 am

We go to see the stage show every time it comes round which is usually every other year. Last year I dressed up as the cigerette girl from the start of the show. I love the fact that coming in to town on the train there will be all these guys in like tracksuit bottoms etc and on the way home they don't care anymore who sees and are just there in basques, stockings and high heels. it can be a truely terrifying sight...............

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/20/07 at 1:58 pm

We go to see the stage show every time it comes round which is usually every other year. Last year I dressed up as the cigerette girl from the start of the show. I love the fact that coming in to town on the train there will be all these guys in like tracksuit bottoms etc and on the way home they don't care anymore who sees and are just there in basques, stockings and high heels. it can be a truely terrifying sight...............

I suppose it would be, if they're built like me...

Hairy, pot-bellied Viking-types.

Written By: brwndrtcowboy on 12/29/07 at 12:06 pm

;D That was great. I havnt thought of Rocky Horror in years. I can remember seeing it for the first time when I was dating a Purdue student back in the late 80's. I never laughed so much in my life. The audience participation was the greatest. I havnt seen it in theaters in years. Does anyone know where they still play this. I use to have the dvd, but that went by the way side years ago. Thanks for the memories.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/30/07 at 3:43 pm

;D That was great. I havnt thought of Rocky Horror in years. I can remember seeing it for the first time when I was dating a Purdue student back in the late 80's. I never laughed so much in my life. The audience participation was the greatest. I havnt seen it in theaters in years. Does anyone know where they still play this. I use to have the dvd, but that went by the way side years ago. Thanks for the memories.

California is still the place for it!

Berkeley is home to "The Bawdy Caste".
Sacramento had a cast called "Absent Friends", but it underwent several name/cast changes.
Who knows what the Frank it's called now!

I believe there's a 'Frisco cast.

Written By: tonelar on 01/05/08 at 12:22 am

Ugh... I'm 90-1 % PURE? Thas heartbreaking...

Yepp there are probably still shows around here (SF) as well as Berkeley.  Although the best local cast currently is Barely Legal at the Parkway in Oakland.

Check for new replies or respond here...