inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My thoughts on '70s music. Should I give more of it a chance?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/31/07 at 2:04 am

Even though I'm a huge music afficionado, I've always been a little iffy and selective about Seventies music...like 1972 to 1980. Pretty much the period inbetween the Jimi Hendrix/Janis Joplin/Jim Morrison deaths and the launch of MTV.

Don't get me wrong, there's individual songs I enjoy, but I was never able to get into it passionately as a whole. I'm sure some people will disagree with me on this, but I always thought alot of it was harder to enjoy because of the extended and more "raw" sound of some of it. Just to get an idea of where I'm coming from, I love the surrounding decades. Other than growing up listening to both '60s and '80s music, I think they kinda do have similarities that appeal to me on their own. For instance, both tended to have slick production with shorter and simple, poppy songs...which is more my thing.

I guess with the '70s, I tend to lean towards classic rock lite, some singer-songwriters and any late decade presages towards Eighties music. Although there really isn't a continual string through it, because alot of bands I might only like one or two songs from. Just to give you some idea, these are several of my favorites:

Jet Airliner - Steve Miller
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Jamming - Bob Marley (I like alot of his stuff actually)
A Horse With No Name - America
Radar Love - Golden Earring
Disco Inferno (one of the few pure disco songs I really love)
Still the One - Orleans
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Breakdown - Tom Petty
a few early KISS songs, like "Rock and Roll All Nite"
Deacon Blues - Steely Dan
Sail On - The Commodores
Double Vision - Foreigner
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
Take it Easy - The Eagles
Remember Rock and Roll Radio - The Ramones

Does anyone else agree or disagree...or have thoughts in general on this?

Subject: Re: My thoughts on '70s music. Should I give more of it a chance?

Written By: snozberries on 10/31/07 at 2:42 am

Even though I'm a huge music afficionado, I've always been a little iffy and selective about Seventies music...like 1972 to 1980. Pretty much the period inbetween the Jimi Hendrix/Janis Joplin/Jim Morrison deaths and the launch of MTV.

Don't get me wrong, there's individual songs I enjoy, but I was never able to get into it passionately as a whole. I'm sure some people will disagree with me on this, but I always thought alot of it was harder to enjoy because of the extended and more "raw" sound of some of it. Just to get an idea of where I'm coming from, I love the surrounding decades. Other than growing up listening to both '60s and '80s music, I think they kinda do have similarities that appeal to me on their own. For instance, both tended to have slick production with shorter and simple, poppy songs...which is more my thing.

I guess with the '70s, I tend to lean towards classic rock lite, some singer-songwriters and any late decade presages towards Eighties music. Although there really isn't a continual string through it, because alot of bands I might only like one or two songs from. Just to give you some idea, these are several of my favorites:

Jet Airliner - Steve Miller
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Jamming - Bob Marley (I like alot of his stuff actually)
A Horse With No Name - America
Radar Love - Golden Earring
Disco Inferno (one of the few pure disco songs I really love)
Still the One - Orleans
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Breakdown - Tom Petty
a few early KISS songs, like "Rock and Roll All Nite"
Deacon Blues - Steely Dan
Sail On - The Commodores
Double Vision - Foreigner
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
Take it Easy - The Eagles
Remember Rock and Roll Radio - The Ramones

Does anyone else agree or disagree...or have thoughts in general on this?

I say stick with it.. there's poppy stuff from the 70s too you just gotta look a little harder to find it...
There's:
Elton John
Olivia Newton John
ELO
The Partridge Family's Come On Get Happy
Heck even the brady bunch had a couple of good songs.  ;)
Bay City Rollers- I only wanna be with you
and many more songs that I can't recall just yet but I will get back to you.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/07 at 7:57 am

Well...you know what my answer is going to be Jesse ;)  There are so many 70's songs that I have discovered over the years....that I think you would definitely enjoy.  I am definitely going to make you a 70's mix CD and send it to you....ok? :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/31/07 at 3:17 pm

Perhaps I'm automatically comparing certain '70s music to stuff which the artists did later (since I wasn't around for it). I mean "The Boys of Summer" is a million times better than any Eagles song, lol.

When I was writing up that list, I realized I actually do like quite a bit more than I thought at first. There's definitely some classic songs that I wouldn't want to be without. It's just that it's more selective and I tend to jump around with my tastes compared to the Sixties (1964-1971) or the Eighties and core Nineties (1981-1996). There's also some stuff that, no matter how hard I've tried, I've found it stale and non-catchy to the point of never being able to get into it. Like, Led Zeppelin personally just bores the hell out of me - no offense to any fans.

*ducks heavy flying objects* :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/31/07 at 3:26 pm

Well...you know what my answer is going to be Jesse ;)  There are so many 70's songs that I have discovered over the years....that I think you would definitely enjoy.  I am definitely going to make you a 70's mix CD and send it to you....ok? :)

You're so sweet. :) Plus, you know that I'm returning the favor about thirty times over, right? ;)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/31/07 at 4:44 pm

I would reccomend more Fleetwood Mac. Get their greatest hits, atleast. And their album 'Tusk'.

Their sound has been described as "polished" and commercial. So that's right up your alley.

Also, Olivia Newton-John and ELO as another memeber said.

And what do you think of this Donna Summer song?  :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1EjxuZ7oWI

Written By: snozberries on 10/31/07 at 10:52 pm

I thought of you today... You're Still the One was on the radio today and I thought... now that's the perfect "poppy" 70s song.

Written By: loki 13 on 11/01/07 at 4:20 pm

Man, we are definitely from opposite sides of the universe. Short, simple, poppy songs or what I call radio rock just isn't my thing.
I Feel the best music written was between 1968 and 1979. I also think there is a reason for it and why someone, who wasn't there
to experience it, might not like it.

My opinion being:

In the 50's and 60's music was made for a radio audience. Very few bands toured and those that did, did so more for radio promotions
or TV music shows, e.g. Bandstand. So the music written and performed were campy little numbers with a straight and simple beat.
Catchy little tunes that stick in your head and last a few minutes. When the Beatles changed the way people viewed music, no longer
dance shows but rush the stage and watch them play shows, other bands took notice and the made for concert music was born. 70's
music tended to be longer, concept albums with 8 to 10 minute epics. Definitely not made for radio music. Bands geared to put on a show,
the more elaborate the better. Some musicians still wanted to play the catchy little ditties, Billy Joel, Van Morrison, Boz Scaggs and such
but the majority wanted big production, heavily syncopated, play 'till we drop songs.

That all changed on August 1, 1981. With the advent of MTV, bands went back to the catchy little, stick in your head numbers.
This was an abrupt change, never has music changed so drastically, so quickly as the time between the 70's and 80's. Even bands
that were making epic songs of the 70's were now making made for radio, or visual radio. i.e. MTV, songs. The band Yes goes from
epics such as "Close To The Edge" and "Starship Trooper" to garbage like "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" in what seemed like an overnight
transition. MTV gave a visual effect of what the 50's and 60's was doing musically, so it is easy to understand why someone who grew
up in the MTV generation would gravitate to the the music of the 60's rather than the 70's. for those of us who experienced the 70's,
there is no match for music that was made and because of the abrupt change, it took a long while for some of us to appreciate 80's
style music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/07 at 3:20 am

^ You know what, Loki? even though our tastes are totally different, I can appreciate where you're coming from on this. Alot of that long form music had good musicianship that you probably don't see as much in the typical three minute radio single, so I can see why people are drawn to that.

Yeah, I've always thought '80s music was heavily influenced by '60s stuff (and '50s too really) while being innovative and bringing new things to the table at the same time. Things always blend together for awhile, but I think the MTV sound was firmly in place by 1983.

P.S. I love "Owner of a Lonely Heart" too, but it's all good. ;D

I would reccomend more Fleetwood Mac. Get their greatest hits, atleast. And their album 'Tusk'.

Their sound has been described as "polished" and commercial. So that's right up your alley.

Also, Olivia Newton-John and ELO as another memeber said.

And what do you think of this Donna Summer song?  :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1EjxuZ7oWI

Yeah, Fleetwood are pretty good. I have their Greatest Hits, and a tape of their self-titled debut and Tango in the Night. Don't have Tusk though, I'll have to check that out. I heard it was their experimental album.

I like "Physical" and "Magic", but don't know any other Olivia songs. Those aren't typical for her though, since she was more of a country artist originally.

ELO has alot of good songs too, and I think they were ahead of their time. "Don't Bring Me Down" and "Shine a Little Love" sound like 1983, not 1979. They used synthesizers and have alot of imagery in their lyrics too. If MTV had been around a few years earlier, I could've seen them totally taking advantage of it and being a visual band.

I thought of you today... You're Still the One was on the radio today and I thought... now that's the perfect "poppy" 70s song.

Cool, lol. :) Yeah, that's super catchy, I've always liked that one, although I didn't always know when it was from. It's hard to believe they only had a couple hits with as good as that song is. They were more of a ballad band too.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/02/07 at 4:19 pm

I say, give more of it a listen!  (Of course I have a major bias  ::))

If you're into 70's pop/rock, here are some additional artists to check out.  How about Chicago, Three Dog Night, Elton John (as mentioned), any ex-Beatle you choose (or all of them), Paul Simon, America, the Doobie Brothers, Grand Funk Railroad, Bachman Turner Overdrive, E.L.O as you mentioned, Queen, Hall and Oates, or Badfinger, just to get started.

Not knowing whether you like R&B type music, I'll just add that it was an outstanding time period, among the best, what with Philly Soul, Funk, Stax, and grown up Motown artists (eg. Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye).  If you're so inclined you might find something you like among the Spinners, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire, Bill Withers or the Commodores, just to name a few.

I hope you'll give more 70's music a try.  You just might like it!  :)

Written By: Paul on 11/02/07 at 4:40 pm

Perhaps I'm automatically comparing certain '70s music to stuff which the artists did later (since I wasn't around for it). I mean "The Boys of Summer" is a million times better than any Eagles song, lol.

*ducks heavy flying objects* :o

And you should be 'ducking' from a statement like that!  :o

Do yourself a favour and grab hold of all 25 volumes of 'Have A Nice Day - Super Hits Of The 70s'

...and after you chewed through that lot, all 20 volumes of 'Didn't It Blow Your Mind - Soul Hits Of The 70s'

...and if you still ain't 'converted' after that lot...well, you'll just have to give that decade a miss!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/02/07 at 4:46 pm

And you should be 'ducking' from a statement like that!  :o

Do yourself a favour and grab hold of all 25 volumes of 'Have A Nice Day - Super Hits Of The 70s'

...and after you chewed through that lot, all 20 volumes of 'Didn't It Blow Your Mind - Soul Hits Of The 70s'

...and if you still ain't 'converted' after that lot...well, you'll just have to give that decade a miss!

Very well said, Paul!  ;)

Written By: Paul on 11/02/07 at 4:50 pm

Very well said, Paul!  ;)

Thank you, young Karen...us 70s 'babies' have got to take a stand! :D

Having said that, all those CDs don't even touch 'glam rock', 'punk', 'prog' 'new wave' and they barely skim 'disco'...so there's certainly loads more to investigate!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/03/07 at 1:48 am

Go out and buy "Houses of the Holy" and "Physical Graffiti" by Led Zeppelin.

Amazing stuff.  ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 2:09 am

LOL, it's all good, I'm sure I would get disagreements in general. ;) Seriously though, I do like one Led Zeppelin song, "All of My Love", although that's not really typical of their sound. It's more of a ballad and since it's 1979 it does sound a teeny bit '80s in a formative way. That being said, I probably would like them more if their sound was streamlined and the songs shorter.

I do somewhat like alot of the songs and styles people mentioned since my last reply, though. I forgot about Elton John, but "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" is catchy as heck lol. He had alot of good early pop songs actually. In retrospect, I probably was exposed to more Seventies music growing up than I initially realized. I think it's just that I'm selective with everything as opposed to pre-1972 or 1981+.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/03/07 at 3:10 pm

I forgot to mention the Carpenters, but they are pretty corny...

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 7:13 pm

I forgot to mention the Carpenters, but they are pretty corny...

I LOVE the Carpenters. I think Karen had a pure voice. I think We've Only Just Begun and Close to You got overplayed because of weddings and stuff so the Carpenters don't get the respect they deserve.

Just listen to Singles cd again
Superstar
Rainy Days and Mondays
Ticket to Ride
Goodbye to Love
It's Going to Take Some Time (I think Jesse will like this song)
Top of the World
Hurting Each Other

These are great songs!

Written By: Banks on 11/09/07 at 12:27 am

It sounds like you would like a lot of disco stuff...Though if you dont like songs that go for more than 3 minutes then stear clear of any 12" mixes.

Fleetwood Mac are awsome...Id also suggest some Who songs, like Baba O'Rielly, Who Are You?, Behind Blue Eyes, and even their 1980's contribution You Better You Bet.

As for Led Zeppelin...Im a MASSIVE fan, but can understand how people may not like their music due to length etc...However, for some of their more 'commercial' songs, try Led Zep III and IV. Immigrant Song, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Goin To California and Gallow's Pole are awsome pieces of music that could easily be played on the radio.

As has been said, Boz Scaggs is pretty good, I especially love Lido Shuffle...Also, as has been said, Billy Joel has a lot of radio songs...and Queen (again as has already been pointed out) have some amazingly catchy tunes.

Bob Welch's Ebony Eyes is a radio classic.

Id also try to find some Promises music, such as baby Its You.

Air Supply are also amazing and had a LOT of radio hits.

Others Id suggest:

Racey

Blondie

Hot Chocolate

Boney M

Dr.Hook

Joe Tex

Cold Chisel

Genesis (and their various solo careers, especially Gabriel's Salsbury Hill)

Cat Stevens

and while there are more, Ill finish with...

The Little River Band

Hope this helps.

Written By: snozberries on 11/09/07 at 11:37 pm

Air Supply are also amazing and had a LOT of radio hits.

Others Id suggest:

Racey

Blondie

Hot Chocolate

Boney M

Dr.Hook

Joe Tex

Cold Chisel

Genesis (and their various solo careers, especially Gabriel's Salsbury Hill)

Cat Stevens

and while there are more, Ill finish with...

The Little River Band

Hope this helps.

you forgot America and Kansas

Check for new replies or respond here...