inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70's high school memory

Written By: Anita Staples on 11/03/07 at 3:53 pm

Can you help ?  There was a Notebook students passed around in school. You numbered a page 1-25 and you picked a number, there was a question per page (as an example  Is Jane a good kisser?  Do you think Johnny is cute?) and in the back of the book was an index that you would sign your name by the number you chose(for example  Sally  would be #7)  We would pass them around during class time.  Do you remember the name of this type of book?   :)

Subject: Re: 70's high school memory

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/07 at 5:17 pm

It is called a Slam Book mainly because you would "slam" people and only leave your "#". But of course, you could look in the front or back of the book for the "index" and knew exactly who said what about whom.

Cat

Written By: spteach on 11/03/07 at 5:39 pm

Thank you!  Thank you!  I am so glad you knew.

Written By: snozberries on 11/03/07 at 7:14 pm

It is called a Slam Book mainly because you would "slam" people and only leave your "#". But of course, you could look in the front or back of the book for the "index" and knew exactly who said what about whom.

Cat

So that's what a Slam Book is.... thanks Cat I've heard of them before and always wondered!

Q

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/04/07 at 11:53 am

Personally, I always thought they were stupid. I had a few friends who created them and yeah, I did sign in a few of them but never created one myself.

*Edited to add that the "Facts of Life" had an episode where some of the characters had a slam book.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 12:18 pm

Personally, I always thought they were stupid. I had a few friends who created them and yeah, I did sign in a few of them but never created one myself.

*Edited to add that the "Facts of Life" had an episode where some of the characters had a slam book.

Cat

That may be where I first heard of it

Check for new replies or respond here...