inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: old horror flicks

Written By: runner69 on 11/12/07 at 2:59 pm

does anybody remember an old horror flick called lets scare jessica to death. came out in 71. i was 10 years old when i first watched it. scared the crap out of me. i have watched it a few times since 71 and it never fails to do the same. it was a low budget film but done amazingly well. i love a good horror movie and while some and only some are done well i have never watched one that can truly frighten like this one.............anyone seen it.

Subject: Re: old horror flicks

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/12/07 at 3:03 pm

YES!! it was one of the few i actually watched as a kid. i was way too afraid to watch most scary movies.

i think i was about 12 or 13 when i saw it at my brothers apartment. i remember when she was eating that spaghetti, and there was a voice in her head saying that the sauce was blood.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/12/07 at 4:54 pm

My sister told me about when she saw "Phantasm".

It came out in the mid-or-late '70s.
She is now almost 40, and she still has nightmares about it.
I'll have to see it sometime.

Written By: runner69 on 11/12/07 at 10:07 pm

i remember watching hush hush sweet charlotte when i was a little kid. didnt sleep for days due to nightmares. watched it the other day..........no more than a drama  :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 12:35 pm

does anybody remember an old horror flick called lets scare jessica to death. came out in 71. i was 10 years old when i first watched it. scared the crap out of me. i have watched it a few times since 71 and it never fails to do the same. it was a low budget film but done amazingly well. i love a good horror movie and while some and only some are done well i have never watched one that can truly frighten like this one.............anyone seen it.

I can't believe I missed that one! I'm gonna have to track it down.

Written By: schaefman on 11/17/07 at 10:14 pm

What I remember are some of the ads for movies that I could never see, like "Dawn of the Dead", "Silent Scream", or "It's Alive". Then, when I worked at the Theater, or later at Blockbuster, I caught some of them, and though "Geez, what's the big deal?"

"Amityville Horror" was creepy. "Jaws" was actually rated X when it first came out. My folks went to see it.

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/07 at 10:26 pm

What I remember are some of the ads for movies that I could never see, like "Dawn of the Dead", "Silent Scream", or "It's Alive". Then, when I worked at the Theater, or later at Blockbuster, I caught some of them, and though "Geez, what's the big deal?"

"Amityville Horror" was creepy. "Jaws" was actually rated X when it first came out. My folks went to see it.

Probably because of the skinny dipping... but just like in horror flicks; teens paid for their indiscretions and disobedience in Jaws  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/17/07 at 10:47 pm

I just saw The Car (1977) (known in Canada as DeathMobile)

I thought it was really good and scary!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/18/07 at 4:34 am

There was one I recall, from the early '80s, called "Return To Horror High".

The preface of the film was about a movie documenting the slaughter that occurred years before.
The High School (now closed indefinitely) becomes the proverbial bloodbath again, when various cast members get killed off.

The main things I remember were the following:

-The name of the killer: Unofficially known as "Hatchet Face"
-Early adult role for Maureen McCormick, of "Brady Bunch" fame
-The only real survivor of the original massacre was the young cop who solved the whole shpiel

I thought it was good schlock that I went looking for the film before it.....only to find out it didn't exist.
A pity, really.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/25/07 at 12:53 pm

^it's actually from the late 80's--it was released in 1987.

i like that movie too, but it was really confusing....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/07 at 2:34 pm

The ones I remember:

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Asylum
Carrie
Halloween
Willard
Ben
Amityville Horror
The Exorcist

I know there are more (just watch any MST3K  :D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: fishryc on 11/28/07 at 5:29 pm

The ones I remember:

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Asylum
Carrie
Halloween
Willard
Ben
Amityville Horror
The Exorcist

I know there are more (just watch any MST3K  :D ;D ;D )

Cat

"The Excorcist" hasta be number one!!
  I was only 14 or 15 when it came out, and walked down the street to my friends house with a flashlight for about a month after seeing that one!!
Also, "Crowhaven Farm" scared the living be-jebus outa me with it's witchcraft / supernatural theme in 1970 / 1971?.
Heck, when they piled the boulders on the barn door under which lay the attractive Hope Lang......................    "Jebus" is all I can say!!
My hair still stands up!!

Scott

Written By: Booberry on 01/12/08 at 4:17 pm

Fearnet is actually running this one now, saw it for the first time about two weeks ago. Good stuff. The pacing is slow, but its an effective and moody film.

Now if I could only find The Asphyx.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/08 at 4:36 pm

Fearnet is actually running this one now, saw it for the first time about two weeks ago. Good stuff. The pacing is slow, but its an effective and moody film.

Now if I could only find The Asphyx.

stuff from the 70s did move at a slower pace....  now when I watch these shows/films I find myself screaming internally "JUST GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!"  ;D

Written By: Booberry on 01/12/08 at 5:11 pm

stuff from the 70s did move at a slower pace....  now when I watch these shows/films I find myself screaming internally "JUST GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!"  ;D

Absolutely! If its a 70s movie and its a dinner scene, you are in for about twenty minutes of filler. I know that in Jessica there was a point where I turned to my wife and said "So, we are just hanging out with the characters a while?".  ::)

Written By: cinnabon on 01/13/08 at 4:52 pm

There was one that came out in 1978 and remade in 2003 called The Toolbox Murders about all these so-called sinful young women being eliminated by a serial killer who uses various hardware tools to commit the crimes - the culprit turns out to be the landlord of the building who is distraught over the death of his daughter, which at some point leads him to kidnap a 15-year old girl who also lives in the building and torments her daily while her brother and his best friend are attempting to rescue her and solve the murders - eventually her brother's friend who is also the landlord's nephew, turns out to be psychotic as well and sets her brother on fire.  I heard this film was banned in the United States for 20 years.

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/08 at 4:57 pm

There was one that came out in 1978 and remade in 2003 called The Toolbox Murders about all these so-called sinful young women being eliminated by a serial killer who uses various hardware tools to commit the crimes - the culprit turns out to be the landlord of the building who is distraught over the death of his daughter, which at some point leads him to kidnap a 15-year old girl who also lives in the building and torments her daily while her brother and his best friend are attempting to rescue her and solve the murders - eventually her brother's friend who is also the landlord's nephew, turns out to be psychotic as well and sets her brother on fire.  I heard this film was banned in the United States for 20 years.

I haven't heard of this but I am going to look for it...

I am still trying to find a copy of The Longest Night about a girl who is abducted and buried alive by her kidnappers.

Written By: cinnabon on 01/14/08 at 5:00 am

I haven't heard of this but I am going to look for it...

I am still trying to find a copy of The Longest Night about a girl who is abducted and buried alive by her kidnappers.

You can purchase a copy of "The Toolbox Murders" over at amazon.com.  :)

Written By: KKay on 01/14/08 at 7:55 am

does anybody remember an old horror flick called lets scare jessica to death.

great one. some from that era are Dont' Be Afraid of The Dark and Dark Night of the Scarecrow and Bad Arnold. (is it arnold? harold?)

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/08 at 10:07 pm

sweet! I just netflixed it!

Written By: Michael C. on 02/09/09 at 7:35 pm

There's a great,similar 70's Film......The Candy Snatchers......

Written By: Michael C. on 02/09/09 at 7:40 pm

Well worth checking out......
very classic example of 70's horror...

I can't believe I missed that one! I'm gonna have to track it down.

Written By: markus017 on 06/10/10 at 9:15 pm

Don't be afraid of the dark .. used to scare me to death with those prune people that live in th fire place. I recently watched clips on youtube... it still gives me the creeps..

Written By: coolie fiend on 07/28/10 at 9:43 pm

"Gargoyles ", the made for TV movie from 1972. Love it!!

Written By: alleykid76 on 07/31/10 at 11:03 am

Last House On The Left was sort of the prototype of the teen/slasher movies that got big in the 80s. It had all the elements...attractive girls, drug-crazed psychos, over-the-top violence. It came out in maybe 71 or 72.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/10 at 1:55 am

Cannibal Holocaust
Cannibal Ferox

Two Italian b-movies not for the nervous!

Written By: ronobvious on 08/18/10 at 11:02 pm

Cannibal Holocaust
Cannibal Ferox

I second Cannibal Holocaust. Some parts of it haven't aged particularly well but it was really far ahead of its time in a lot of ways. The faux documentary feel especially. Plus the opening song is really catchy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf1Vt6r-sj8

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/10 at 12:00 am

I second Cannibal Holocaust. Some parts of it haven't aged particularly well but it was really far ahead of its time in a lot of ways. The faux documentary feel especially. Plus the opening song is really catchy!

Some people really thought they cut that guy's johnson off!
:o

Written By: ronobvious on 08/19/10 at 1:25 pm

SPOILER ALERT!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/10 at 12:05 am

SPOILER ALERT!  ;D

Iffen knowin' how the plot of "Cannibal Holocaust" turns out is a major passion in your heart or in your mind, you need to see a psyyyy-chiatrist!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing4.gif

Written By: ronobvious on 08/21/10 at 12:10 pm

Iffen knowin' how the plot of "Cannibal Holocaust" turns out is a major passion in your heart or in your mind, you need to see a psyyyy-chiatrist!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing4.gif

;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/21/10 at 12:35 pm

There were a couple of mild-mannered horror movies that I'd love to see again, but doubt I ever will (and they probably won't hold up under another viewing anyway)

First one is "Strays" (1991) starring Kathleen Quinlin and Timothy Busfield about a bunch of psycho housecats.  http://www.badmovies.org/movies/strays/

Second one is simply titled "Sssssss" (1973) starring Dirk Benedict.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070622/

Written By: lola669 on 08/21/10 at 7:37 pm

There were a couple of mild-mannered horror movies that I'd love to see again, but doubt I ever will (and they probably won't hold up under another viewing anyway)

First one is "Strays" (1991) starring Kathleen Quinlin and Timothy Busfield about a bunch of psycho housecats.  http://www.badmovies.org/movies/strays/

Second one is simply titled "Sssssss" (1973) starring Dirk Benedict.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070622/

I saw Ssssss not too long ago, I've seen worse.  ;D

Squirm is on of my favorites, it's so bad it's actually pretty good.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/10 at 9:03 pm

I saw Ssssss not too long ago, I've seen worse.  ;D

How long was it again?
:-\\

He Knows You're Alone (1980).  Campy horror flick -- and -- Tom Hanks' film debut!

Written By: lola669 on 08/24/10 at 9:15 pm

How long was it again?
:-\\

I dunno.  :-\\

He Knows You're Alone (1980).  Campy horror flick -- and -- Tom Hanks' film debut!

Another of my favorites, it was filmed in my hometown.  I got my bridesmaid's dresses from the bridal shop that was in the movie.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/10 at 9:38 pm

I dunno.   :-\\

Another of my favorites, it was filmed in my hometown.  I got my bridesmaid's dresses from the bridal shop that was in the movie.

I used to think horror films were much scarier than they are because my parents never took me to see them.  I thought "He Knows Your Alone" was as scary as "The Exorcist" or something.  As it turns out, not so much. 

I ditched my friends for the night once because they were going to see "Nightmare On Elm Street III" (or whatever) and I refused to go on the grounds that it was too dumb!

I don't mean to offend Freddy fans here...you're not the sort of people I want to offend...I mean...I....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

Written By: lola669 on 08/25/10 at 6:58 am

I used to think horror films were much scarier than they are because my parents never took me to see them.  I thought "He Knows Your Alone" was as scary as "The Exorcist" or something.  As it turns out, not so much. 

I ditched my friends for the night once because they were going to see "Nightmare On Elm Street III" (or whatever) and I refused to go on the grounds that it was too dumb!

I don't mean to offend Freddy fans here...you're not the sort of people I want to offend...I mean...I....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

I didn't see The Exorcist until I was a teen, to me it's still one of the scariest movies.  I'll watch it any time it's on T.V..  That and Rosemary's Baby.

I liked the first Nightmare but didn't like any of the others.

Another one I remember being quite scary was Audrey Rose, but I was only about 8 when I saw it.  Not very scary when you see it as an adult. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/10 at 3:35 pm

I didn't see The Exorcist until I was a teen, to me it's still one of the scariest movies.  I'll watch it any time it's on T.V..  That and Rosemary's Baby.

Rosemary's is the perfect example of the kind of horror movie I like.  Not so much blood and gore as suspense and psychological torment!
"The Shining" is my all-time favorite.  The scariest movies for me have themes I can relate to.  With "The Shining" the themes are isolation, anxiety, and loss of control.  While I've never been violent, I could identify with Jack Torrence as his mind took him places he did not want to go. 

***SPOILER ALERT***

With "Rosemary's Baby" the scariest theme for me is not the occult, but betrayal.  Rosemary Woodhouse is betrayed by Guy Woodhouse, the Castevets, Dr. Sapirstein, and -- inadvertently -- by Dr. Hill.  It is not so much the idea that Guy gives Rosemary to the witch coven to use as the birth mother of the Antichrist (in exchange for quick fortune's in Guy's acting career), but that they are all lying to Rosemary and abusing her while appearing so kind.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/25/10 at 5:30 pm

Cannibal Holocaust
Cannibal Ferox

This crazy chick I used to date made me sit through Cannibal Holocaust. I dunno, I thought they way the plot portrayed the film crew as being evil and manipulative towards the tribes so their ultimate fate turned out to be their comeuppance, was a total cop-out. I thought the movie would've been much more effective if the film crew had been more sympathetic characters and the tribes more sinister.

No, but they really did butcher that giant turtle, which is one of the main reasons Cannibal Holocaust remains so controversial to this day. (Not to mention that it was one of the absolute grossest f**king things I've ever seen.  8-P)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/10 at 8:48 pm

This crazy chick I used to date made me sit through Cannibal Holocaust. I dunno, I thought they way the plot portrayed the film crew as being evil and manipulative towards the tribes so their ultimate fate turned out to be their comeuppance, was a total cop-out. I thought the movie would've been much more effective if the film crew had been more sympathetic characters and the tribes more sinister. No, but they really did butcher that giant turtle, which is one of the main reasons Cannibal Holocaust remains so controversial to this day. (Not to mention that it was one of the absolute grossest f**king things I've ever seen.  8-P)

I agree.  Animals were harmed in the production of that film!  I made myself watch the entire turtle scene.  

You wanted to watch this disgusting move, so watch it!  Don't be a p*ssy!

:P

Written By: lola669 on 08/26/10 at 7:29 am

Rosemary's is the perfect example of the kind of horror movie I like.  Not so much blood and gore as suspense and psychological torment!
"The Shining" is my all-time favorite.  The scariest movies for me have themes I can relate to.  With "The Shining" the themes are isolation, anxiety, and loss of control.  While I've never been violent, I could identify with Jack Torrence as his mind took him places he did not want to go. 

***SPOILER ALERT***

With "Rosemary's Baby" the scariest theme for me is not the occult, but betrayal.  Rosemary Woodhouse is betrayed by Guy Woodhouse, the Castevets, Dr. Sapirstein, and -- inadvertently -- by Dr. Hill.  It is not so much the idea that Guy gives Rosemary to the witch coven to use as the birth mother of the Antichrist (in exchange for quick fortune's in Guy's acting career), but that they are all lying to Rosemary and abusing her while appearing so kind.

I haven't seen The Shining in years.  I should watch it again.  The first time I saw it I just didn't get it,  I was too young. 

I think I need to got to the bookstore and pick up copies of The Shining and Rosemary's Baby. 

Anyone ever watch Faces of Death?  I remember being told it was all real but I still wanted to see it.  Of course I figured out that most of it was fake.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/26/10 at 8:44 pm

I'm trying to think of the name of a movie. 

All I remember (which is not much) is someone being killed by knitting needles stuck in their head and the body possibly being put into a window seat.  Heck, I might have even dreamed this.  :D ;D

***SPOILER ALERT***

Guy is such a slime, after that night he's never able to look at Rosemary agan.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/10 at 9:42 pm

I haven't seen The Shining in years.  I should watch it again.  The first time I saw it I just didn't get it,  I was too young. 

I think I need to got to the bookstore and pick up copies of The Shining and Rosemary's Baby. 

Anyone ever watch Faces of Death?  I remember being told it was all real but I still wanted to see it.  Of course I figured out that most of it was fake.

Most of it is fake.  Some of it is real.  I can't tell you what's what because I watched them soooo long ago.  There's no redeeming quality to be found in "Faces of Death."  On top of that, it's not even amusing!

"The Shining" movie is different from the book in some parts.  What Kubrick does with "The Shining" is establish the gnawing malaise and suspense early in the film and sets the pitch right there, so when the gruesome things happen, you're already nervous as hell.  It gets scarier every time I watch it!

You don't know there's a witch in the woods or there's a monster in the lake.  There's the demonstration of ESP "shining" from Mr. O'Halloran to Danny, but that's not the only eerie thing.  Jack is just wound tight and off-kilter.  If you've ever seen a man fall into nervous fits over a couple of weeks, yeah, it looks kind of like that!  So then when Jack is totally psychotic, you have sympathy with his pain.  The idea of a monster movie is to kill the monster...but when the monster comes from inside you....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/blossom.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/10 at 9:47 pm

All I remember (which is not much) is someone being killed by knitting needles stuck in their head and the body possibly being put into a window seat.  Heck, I might have even dreamed this.   :D ;D

Guy was the weak link.  The Castevets figured that out right away.  He was an easy mark -- self-centered, shallow, and vain.  

"If she ate the mouse, she won't remember nothin'!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devilsmile.gif

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/26/10 at 10:23 pm

I wasn't a big fan of the Shining.  Maybe, like you, I was too young and I, too, haven't seen it in quite a long time.  I might like it better now.

I've only seen one Faces of death.  Don't know which one.  It was at a drive-in that was having all-night movies.  I thought it odd the line-up of movies.  There was a Disney cartoon, and another "family" movie that wasn't too shocking, then Faces of Death and then a fourth movie that was first-run at the time (although I forget what it was now.)  Mind you that Faces of Death came on about 3 a.m., but the kids in the next car were still awake and watching.

*spoilers*
I  just remember bits and pieces of he movie, I think a Korean family ate a cute puppy (or was it a monkey...I forget now.)  IZt was the most bizarre cooking segment I've ever seen.  I think there was a magician that got killed in the movie, his big magic trick went wrong.  Oopsies.  I think there was a bungee jumper that miscalculated their rope (too long for what they were jumping off of.)  Ooopsy part two.  And then there was a really fake psychiatric patient goes homicidal on a bunch of nurses in a doctor's office.  Never really wanted to see any more FOD after that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/10 at 10:45 pm

I saw really terrible stuff like that before people got too nervous about Internet content. 
8-P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/26/10 at 10:54 pm

All I remember (which is not much) is someone being killed by knitting needles stuck in their head and the body possibly being put into a window seat.  Heck, I might have even dreamed this.   :D ;D

A quick look-up on yahoo surprisingly revealed knitting needles as a weapon of choice in horror movies.  (Go figure)

Apparently, "The Commune" (2009), "the Crazies" (1979), "Friday the 13th part 3" had a knitting needle through someone's head, "The old dark house" (which was a 1960s Hammer horror film), "Afraid of the dark" (1991), "Inside" (a 2007 French film), "Daughters of Darkness" (1971 vampire flick, aka "La Rouge aux levres"), "Dead End", and I'm sure there are others.  lol

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/27/10 at 12:16 am

A quick look-up on yahoo surprisingly revealed knitting needles as a weapon of choice in horror movies.  (Go figure)

Apparently, "The Commune" (2009), "the Crazies" (1979), "Friday the 13th part 3" had a knitting needle through someone's head, "The old dark house" (which was a 1960s Hammer horror film), "Afraid of the dark" (1991), "Inside" (a 2007 French film), "Daughters of Darkness" (1971 vampire flick, aka "La Rouge aux levres"), "Dead End", and I'm sure there are others.  lol

I searched earlier and I came across some of these titles also, I can rule some of them out because of the years.  I'm leaning towards "The Old Dark House".  I'll have to see if it's available to rent or posted on YouTube.

Thanks!

Check for new replies or respond here...