inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: That Wonder Woman show from the 70s is SO lame!

Written By: Satish on 11/15/07 at 3:40 pm

A local TV station in the city where I live is showing re-runs right now of that Wonder Woman show from the 70s with Lynda Carter. I'd never seen the show before, so I've been watching a few episodes over the past few weeks for the first time, and I have to say, it's just SO totally lame! I'd say it's in the same vein as other action-adventure shows of the 70s like "The Incredible Hulk," "The Six Million Dollar Man," and "The Bionic Woman," but it's so much more ridiculous than any of those! Everything about it, from the plots, to the dialogue, to the acting, is just laughable! I just can't see what people ever saw in the show. It's probably even worse than the Batman show with Adam West and Burt Ward from the 60s, but at least that had camp appeal. The Wonder Woman show is just so stupid and cheezy!

Subject: Re: That Wonder Woman show from the 70s is SO lame!

Written By: Red Ant on 11/15/07 at 6:02 pm

I just can't see what people ever saw in the show.

Hmm, I seem to recall this:

http://ex-donkey.mu.nu/images/lynda-carter12-thumb.jpg

Lynda Carter was a complete doll back then. Even at 56 now, she's still pleasing to the eye.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/07 at 10:05 pm

The show was in the 70s, so now looking back on it, it seems quite lame, but in those days, shows like those were all the rage

I used to watch the re-runs in the 80s and I thought it was cool.  Haven't seen it since though, so who knows if I might still enjoy it

Written By: gumbypiz on 11/16/07 at 2:21 am

The show was in the 70s, so now looking back on it, it seems quite lame, but in those days, shows like those were all the rage

I used to watch the re-runs in the 80s and I thought it was cool.  Haven't seen it since though, so who knows if I might still enjoy it

Exactly.
Linda Carter was so much cheescake at the time.
The show was cheesy even then, but most shows based on comic series were like that until the 90-00's (Smallville). Even then there is a certain "suspension of reality" to be had to watch them.

Linda Carter still is very good looking at 56, any woman could only hope to look that good at her age (and after fighting off the evildoers of the world too). :)

Written By: Davester on 11/16/07 at 11:08 pm

Everything about it, from the plots, to the dialogue, to the acting, is just laughable! I just can't see what people ever saw in the show.

You may be overlooking Lynda Carter's place in the "fresh-scrubbed, wholesome girl-next-door" mania.  Acting?  Who cares?  The whole point was to outshine Lindsay Wagner...

Written By: Brigitte on 11/17/07 at 10:44 am

I think this is what people saw in the show Satish, :D
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/seventies/fposter2.jpg

Written By: Lindee on 11/17/07 at 1:51 pm

I'll take the cheesey 70s TV shows anyday over the crap they try and pass off as TV today. The writers can stay on strike as far as I'm concerned.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/18/07 at 9:39 pm

Yep, that would be it.  ;D

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 1:29 am

There are two eras of Wonder Woman... the first two seasons were set in the 40s during WWII! These episodes were great! Yes cheesey but that was the appeal.  However the ones from season 3 were set in the 70s and these were a little harder to swallow.

Other cheesey shows of the 70s Shazam and Isis (tho IMO Isis was unbearable)

Written By: runner69 on 11/21/07 at 7:54 am

it was a corny show alright. bullets sparkig off her wristbands. i look at it this way. even today they still pass off the same garbage. we know lead does not spark....even jacket lead. we know the possibilty of a bullet setting off a gas tank are almost nil. people jumping off 100 ft cliffs and hanging on to the other side by fingertips is impossible. and yet it is still done today with the exception of maybey better acting and better special effects..........still the same crap

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 1:05 pm

it was a corny show alright. bullets sparkig off her wristbands. i look at it this way. even today they still pass off the same garbage. we know lead does not spark....even jacket lead. we know the possibilty of a bullet setting off a gas tank are almost nil. people jumping off 100 ft cliffs and hanging on to the other side by fingertips is impossible. and yet it is still done today with the exception of maybey better acting and better special effects..........still the same crap

yeah but if television were more realistic it'd be boring... plus the shows would be a lot shorter,

Written By: runner69 on 11/21/07 at 3:08 pm

true

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/26/07 at 3:31 am

Agreed!  ;)

When I was a kid I remember watching Wonder Woman with my older brothers and all of us being in awe of Lynda Carter's bodacious ta-tas.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/07 at 3:40 am

Wonder Woman was not lame back in the 70's for there was no president to that type of programme.

Written By: ninny on 11/26/07 at 10:41 am

I Agree, ask most men, they did not care about the acting, or the plots, they just saw Lynda Carter
As a teenage girl when it was on,I thought it was stupid,but then again I also thought the Six Million Dollar Man was great. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/07 at 12:14 am

Oh yeah, you can't watch that Wonder Woman trash.  "The Incredible Hulk," now there's the stuff of Homeric legend!
:-\\

Written By: snozberries on 12/01/07 at 11:24 am

Oh yeah, you can't watch that Wonder Woman trash.  "The Incredible Hulk," now there's the stuff of Homeric legend!

I like the Incredible Hulk too but there are so many errors in it.  I have seen eps where they forgot to paint the bottom of Lou Ferrigno's feet.
Saw one where the hulk jumped off a barge and you could see the stunt pads in the frame... it's like they didn't even try.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/03/07 at 2:54 pm

I like the Incredible Hulk too but there are so many errors in it.  I have seen eps where they forgot to paint the bottom of Lou Ferrigno's feet.
Saw one where the hulk jumped off a barge and you could see the stunt pads in the frame... it's like they didn't even try.

I remember one episode of the Incredible Hulk where David Banner was driving an orange Plymouth Valiant, he was being chased by two rednecks in an old beat up 1950's Peterbilt pulling a rusty tanker trailer, and they just filled in the rest with footage from "Duel."  :P

Written By: Satish on 12/06/07 at 10:25 am

Hey, I never said "The Incredible Hulk" was all that great, just that it was much better than the Wonder Woman show!  ;D

To be fair, I actually think "The Incredible Hulk" has an endearing quality to it. Each episode shows a touching, sensitive portrayal of real, human characters.

Check for new replies or respond here...