inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Soap Operas in the 70s

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/21/07 at 1:13 pm

Hey what Soap Operas do you remember from the 70s. Do you remember any now famous celebs when they were in a soap opera ?!? I remember Kevin Beacon on Guilding Light, Marissa Tomei on As the World Turns, Ian Zering on the Guilding Light. Can you tell thats' what I was forced to watch As The World Turns, The Edge of Night and the Guilding Light.

Subject: Re: Soap Operas in the 70s

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 1:24 pm

I was an ABC kid  mostly ALL MY CHILDREN & GENERAL HOSPITAL (occassionally ONE LIFE TO LIVE) but I watched them more in the 80s.

BTW since you are so much younger than me  ;) how do you remember soaps from the 70s?

I remember Kim Delany on AMC
Luke & Laura but sadly I started watching a couple months after the wedding.
I remember Lori Laughlin on Edge of Night.
John Stamos on GH

and of course... Sarah Michelle Gellar on AMC (BUFFY KICKS ASS!!!!)

Written By: nally on 11/21/07 at 1:26 pm

My parents have been watching All My Children for as long as I can remember. I knew, from reading about it on IMDB.com, that it premiered in 1970...but I don't know how long my parents have been watching it. And it's still on today...and that's what happens when a show is written well and receives lots of viewers.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 1:43 pm

And it's still on today...and that's what happens when a show is written well and receives lots of viewers.

That's how I feel about GH it started in April 1, 1963.  (and no I didn't have look the date up)

I started watching OLTL in the 80s and stopped watching when they went back to the old west I don't remember the date but I want to say 1989 or a little later

I started watching AMC just before Jesse & Jenny ran off to New York (1983?) and stopped watching in the 90s around the time Natalie got stuck in the well. I went back off and on through the years for certain storylines and guest appearances but Susan Lucci's "acting" is so over the top it annoys me.

That reminds me I remember when Erica was modeling she was out to dinner in NYC and a black woman approached the table and introduced herself as a fan... that woman was Oprah Winfrey- I think she was wearing a shiny blue dress... I remember it so vividly-  mmm I wonder if its on youtube?  BRB

Dang youtube let me down!  >:(

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/21/07 at 1:54 pm

Well maybe it was the 80s lol...but I think it was the seventies.  I think Capital came on between As the World Turns and Guilding Light. It amazed me how the people age so rapidly...lol. Oh yeah I remember Danny Pintauro from Who's the Boss being on As the World Turns as Bob and Kim's son.  He could not have been older than 5 or 6 Great story about oprah !!!

Well Im outta here !! Want to wish you all A HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!

Written By: Lindee on 11/21/07 at 2:13 pm

Judith Light and Tommy Lee Jones-One Life To Live
Richard Dean Anderson (McGyver),Rick Springfield, Demi Moore, Janine Turner, Emma Samms -General Hospital.
Christopher Reeve was on one but I don't remember the name of it.
David Hasselhof- Young And The Restless

Some of these stars were from the 70s and 80s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 2:29 pm

That's how I feel about GH it started in April 1, 1963.  (and no I didn't have look the date up)

That is great date.

I started watching OLTL in the 80s and stopped watching when they went back to the old west I don't remember the date but I want to say 1989 or a little later

I started watching AMC just before Jesse & Jenny ran off to New York (1983?) and stopped watching in the 90s around the time Natalie got stuck in the well. I went back off and on through the years for certain storylines and guest appearances but Susan Lucci's "acting" is so over the top it annoys me.

That reminds me I remember when Erica was modeling she was out to dinner in NYC and a black woman approached the table and introduced herself as a fan... that woman was Oprah Winfrey- I think she was wearing a shiny blue dress... I remember it so vividly-  mmm I wonder if its on youtube?  BRB

Dang youtube let me down!  >:(

I never got into AMC but I started watching OLTL way back when it was still only a half hour show-that was when you had the Lords, the Woleks, & the Siegels. That's going WAY back. I remember the first show I saw-it was when Viki married Steve Burke when Joe was assumed dead.

BTW, the Wild West took place in 1988-don't ask me how I remember that.

I started getting into GH about 1992. And when PC came on-I was REALLY hooked. PC was my absolute fav. After they canceled PC, I stopped watching OLTL & GH.

Other soaps I used to watch in the 70s:
Soap (of course) and Dark Shadows.

Cat

Written By: Capt Quirk on 11/21/07 at 2:35 pm

Dark Shadows is the only soap I ever watched... besides Soap. And occasionally Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. But that's it.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 2:52 pm

BTW, the Wild West took place in 1988-don't ask me how I remember that.

Its funny how that stuff just sticks with you sometimes.  I actually stopped watching after the wild west thing... when Sara died.  Bo was mourning Sarah when Kevin & Joey were what 10 & 12? The next day they aged Joey & Kevin to late teens and Bo was still mourning Sara.  I could reconcile that one in my head... I understand aging kids on soaps but at least wait til you resolve a major storyline.  I know soaps are all about suspending belief but that was asking too much of me.

I started getting into GH about 1992. And when PC came on-I was REALLY hooked. PC was my absolute fav. After they canceled PC, I stopped watching OLTL & GH.

Yeah I liked Port Charles too... until it went all supernatural on me.
The girl who played Scotts daughter Serena, Carly Schroeder, does a lot of independent films and has the title role in the Elizabeth Shue/Andrew Shue film Grace

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 2:59 pm

Its funny how that stuff just sticks with you sometimes.  I actually stopped watching after the wild west thing... when Sara died.  Bo was mourning Sarah when Kevin & Joey were what 10 & 12? The next day they aged Joey & Kevin to late teens and Bo was still mourning Sara.  I could reconcile that one in my head... I understand aging kids on soaps but at least wait til you resolve a major storyline.  I know soaps are all about suspending belief but that was asking too much of me.

Yeah I liked Port Charles too... until it went all supernatural on me.
The girl who played Scotts daughter Serena, Carly Schroeder, does a lot of independent films and has the title role in the Elizabeth Shue/Andrew Shue film Grace

When PC when all supernatural-that was when I REALLY LOVED it.

What really sucked about them killing Sarah off was they brought her back (played by some actress I didn't care too much for) only to kill her off again right away.

Yeah, I love how kids aged overnight, or people's faces change.  ;)  The one that is a classic is on AMC when Bobbie Martin went up to the attic to wax his skis and was never heard from again.  :o :o :o  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 3:09 pm

When PC when all supernatural-that was when I REALLY LOVED it.

I KNEW you were gonna say that.... I have been contemplating giving it another shot b/c it airs on Soapnet but I have to catch it at the beginning again.  I know it would be hard to do but I wish they would put certain soap storylines on DVD.

What really sucked about them killing Sarah off was they brought her back (played by some actress I didn't care too much for) only to kill her off again right away.

Yeah, I love how kids aged overnight, or people's faces change.  ;)  The one that is a classic is on AMC when Bobbie Martin went up to the attic to wax his skis and was never heard from again.  :o :o :o  :D ;D ;D

That was funny... I always wanted someone to go up to the attic and see a skeleton holding skis in the corner... it would've been a nice wink to fans.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 3:15 pm

I KNEW you were gonna say that.... I have been contemplating giving it another shot b/c it airs on Soapnet but I have to catch it at the beginning again.  I know it would be hard to do but I wish they would put certain soap storylines on DVD.

I found a place on the net that sells PC arcs (I'm sure you remembered how they had the 13 week arcs) on VHS for $50.  :o :o :o  A little steep. But, they also sell CDs of the music-which is what I bought.  ;D ;D  I do love the music they played when they had the "Stephen Clay Experience".

That was funny... I always wanted someone to go up to the attic and see a skeleton holding skis in the corner... it would've been a nice wink to fans.

Actually, I think according to AMC's history department, Bobbie is away at summer camp. The poor kid, his family left him there for all these years.  :\'( :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 4:20 pm

some of the stuff I would love to see...

All the GH Nurses Balls & some of those performances are hilarious
GH when Anna was kidnapped by Grant
GH the Luke & Laura stuff (ABC put out vhs stuff a few years ago but it was just clips I want full sets with eps and behind the scenes extras)
GH the Ice Princess caper
GH Robin and Stones saga
GH Brenda and Sonny
GH Brendas return (when she marries Jason!  ;D )
GH Lucky and Emily the beginnng their friendship when they ran away
GH Liz's rape and aftermath
GH Jason's saga
GH the music- Eddie Maine, Mary May- Frisco  (no Ricky Martin tho)

AMC Jenny & Jesse in NYC
AMC Bianca comes out
AMC Bianca's rape

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 4:27 pm

some of the stuff I would love to see...

All the GH Nurses Balls & some of those performances are hilarious
GH when Anna was kidnapped by Grant
GH the Luke & Laura stuff (ABC put out vhs stuff a few years ago but it was just clips I want full sets with eps and behind the scenes extras)
GH the Ice Princess caper
GH Robin and Stones saga
GH Brenda and Sonny
GH Brendas return (when she marries Jason!  ;D )
GH Lucky and Emily the beginnng their friendship when they ran away
GH Liz's rape and aftermath
GH Jason's saga
GH the music- Eddie Maine, Mary May- Frisco  (no Ricky Martin tho)

AMC Jenny & Jesse in NYC
AMC Bianca comes out
AMC Bianca's rape

What? No Ricky Martin?  :D ;D ;D

BTW, I have a few tee shirts from the Nurse's Ball. I also have a CD of GH stuff (as well as Wally Kurth stuff, too) and I have a CD of OLTL stuff-when Max & Luna were married. I also have the Valentine's Day show with "Luna's Love Line" and all those songs from the CD. I used to tape the show every day in case I might not be home to watch. It was such a special show, that I saved it. I also have Max & Luna's wedding-and several other shows.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 4:33 pm

;D

I wouldn't hate it if they put Ricky on the set as long as they didn't say eliminate a Mary Mae song to do so...

Oh yeah Max & Luna I forgot about them I would watch that again. I have a ton of VHS tapes from 95/96 with GH on them but I taped in SLP so the qualities not great.

That reminds me...

Marcia Cross- from Desparate Housewives was on OLTL... 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 5:03 pm

;D

I wouldn't hate it if they put Ricky on the set as long as they didn't say eliminate a Mary Mae song to do so...

Oh yeah Max & Luna I forgot about them I would watch that again. I have a ton of VHS tapes from 95/96 with GH on them but I taped in SLP so the qualities not great.

That reminds me...
-
Marcia Cross- from Desparate Housewives was on OLTL... 

Yup-Marcia Cross played Kate Saunders. (Don't ask how I remember that.)

As for the GH CD, Mary Mae is NOT on it.  :\'(  It has Brad Maude (Tony), Wally Kurth (Ned/Eddie), and Vanita Harbour (Dara Jensen) and a bunch of instrumentals-including the opening & closing theme.

I like the one from OLTL better. It has:

-From This Day On-Brenda Russell & Howard Hewitt
-I Still Believe in You-Cliff Richard (Max & Luna's song)
-The Way That you Love Me-Wendy Molen
-Here we are my Friend-Billy Dean
-(You're My) Soul and Inspiration-Darlene Love & Bill Medley
-Teach me How to Dream-Chris Walker (Marty & Suade's song)
-All I Know-Amy Holland & Micheal McDonald
-New Fire From an Old Flame-Stephanie Mills
-For your Precious Love-Jerry Butler (with the Impressions)
-Goodbye-Warren Wiebe

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 5:16 pm

Yup-Marcia Cross played Kate Saunders. (Don't ask how I remember that.)

As for the GH CD, Mary Mae is NOT on it.  :\'(  It has Brad Maude (Tony), Wally Kurth (Ned/Eddie), and Vanita Harbour (Dara Jensen) and a bunch of instrumentals-including the opening & closing theme.

I like the one from OLTL better. It has:

-From This Day On-Brenda Russell & Howard Hewitt
-I Still Believe in You-Cliff Richard (Max & Luna's song)
-The Way That you Love Me-Wendy Molen
-Here we are my Friend-Billy Dean
-(You're My) Soul and Inspiration-Darlene Love & Bill Medley
-Teach me How to Dream-Chris Walker (Marty & Suade's song)
-All I Know-Amy Holland & Micheal McDonald
-New Fire From an Old Flame-Stephanie Mills
-For your Precious Love-Jerry Butler (with the Impressions)
-Goodbye-Warren Wiebe

Cat

That's okay I knew Kate and if I thought about it hard enough I would've come up with Saunders... remember when Tina interrupted her wedding to Cord? I was so pissed Cord was too nice to fall for Tina's crap.... boring but nice  ;D

That OLTL CD sounds awesome.

I remember that GH CD. I did not buy it but I was upset that it didn't include Mary Mae...Rosalind Cash could really sing

I would also like to see tribute DVD sets for the stars who are no longer with us... you know with clips, interviews, retrospectives from co-stars, and the "funeral" episodes shown in entirety

Man I should be in charge of ABCs distribution dept.  All they have to do is hire fans for consultation, and get a few film students or new editors trying to break into the business... in fact I bet the fans would sit through the screenings to time stamp portions of eps for editing.,.. I would love to get paid to do that!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/07 at 5:58 pm

That's okay I knew Kate and if I thought about it hard enough I would've come up with Saunders... remember when Tina interrupted her wedding to Cord? I was so pissed Cord was too nice to fall for Tina's crap.... boring but nice  ;D

That OLTL CD sounds awesome.

I remember that GH CD. I did not buy it but I was upset that it didn't include Mary Mae...Rosalind Cash could really sing

I would also like to see tribute DVD sets for the stars who are no longer with us... you know with clips, interviews, retrospectives from co-stars, and the "funeral" episodes shown in entirety

Man I should be in charge of ABCs distribution dept.  All they have to do is hire fans for consultation, and get a few film students or new editors trying to break into the business... in fact I bet the fans would sit through the screenings to time stamp portions of eps for editing.,.. I would love to get paid to do that!

Yeah, Rosalind Cash could sing. I loved when she did "Gladys Knight" at one of the Nurses' Ball with Luke, Lucky, and Justice as the "Pips". I was ROTFLMAO!!!!!

ABC would be better off if they would consult with some of the fans. When they canceled PC, I signed a bunch of petitions, and I think I even sent an email to ABC. It was because they canceled that show that I stopped watching the other two. And besides, this message board is as much of a soap opera as those shows are.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/21/07 at 8:10 pm

My parents both watched As the World Turns and Guiding Light religiously for many years. My mother also liked to watch Search For Tomorrow and The Edge of Night.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 8:12 pm

. And besides, this message board is as much of a soap opera as those shows are.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

yeah I'm starting to notice that  ;)

Written By: little sis on 11/22/07 at 10:13 pm

Does anyone remember when Mickey met Maggie in Days? I was a kid then.

Check for new replies or respond here...