inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Roxy Music

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/25/07 at 6:01 pm

http://www.intuitivemusic.com/images/N-roxy-music-178.jpg

i first heard them two years ago. i found my brothers 1984 CD copy of thier first album lying around, and it's cover aroused my curiosity (it looks so ahead of it's time, that i was startled that the album came out in '72). he said said that it was one of the coolest albums ever, so i gave it a listen. i was really struck by how they didn't sound like any band i've ever heard from the 70s before. they were my introduction to avant garde music. they were also one of the first new bands i got into after listening to only Blondie and Madonna day and night for a year.

Subject: Re: Roxy Music

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/07 at 10:43 pm

Roxy Music were/are great.  Their most successful album in their homeland was the chart topping Avalon which also hit #1 in several other countries including Canada.  Said album also has two of my all-time favourite 80s songs: 'More Than This' and 'Take A Chance With Me', the latter which gave them a 2nd Top 40 hit in Canada, following 'Love is the Drug' in 1976

Of their 70s work, I love 'Dance Away' the best.  I could listen to that song all day 8)

Written By: fishryc on 11/26/07 at 8:06 pm

Roxy Music were/are great.  Their most successful album in their homeland was the chart topping Avalon which also hit #1 in several other countries including Canada.  Said album also has two of my all-time favourite 80s songs: 'More Than This' and 'Take A Chance With Me', the latter which gave them a 2nd Top 40 hit in Canada, following 'Love is the Drug' in 1976

Of their 70s work, I love 'Dance Away' the best.  I could listen to that song all day 8)

Regarding Roxy / Byan Ferry- 

My Highly Opinionated "best" are: "Manifesto", "Country Life", and "Siren"......................................................

(Without mentioning ENO's "non-roxy" stuff:  "Fripp and Eno", "No Pussyfooting", etc....................

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/01/07 at 1:54 pm

I think Roxy Music paved way for New Wave bands.

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/02/07 at 1:00 am

Roxy Music is VERY underrated in its place in music history and their influence, especially to the early 80's/New Wave and pop sound.

I didn't listen to them until the mid 80's (Love Is The Drug) and instantly thought they were a great up and coming new band. Only to be shocked to learn the song was released in 1975! Ten years earlier!  :o

Their sound was much more advanced and ahead of its time compared to their contemporaries of the mid '70's.

Incredible innovators of new sounds and directions of music at the time.

Imagine, if not for Brian Eno (Music for Airports), electronica, ambient, and electronic music in general of the 80's, 90's and 00's would have taken a different track...

Check for new replies or respond here...