inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Band - Robbie Robertson

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/07 at 12:16 pm

The Band was a Canadian-American group that gained ground as backing band for Ronnie Hawkins, and then Bob Dylan before striking out on their own in 1968.  In 1978, the group said farewell with the legendary concert film 'The Last Waltz' as directed by Martin Scorsese.  In 1983, the group reformed without Robbie Robertson and in 1993, after a decade of touring, released their first studio album since 1977.  Through this time, Robertson had worked as a film composer for Scorsese before going solo in 1987.  Today, he continues to work with Scorsese

Members:  Robbie Robertson, Richard Manuel (d. 1986), Garth Hudson, Rick Danko (d. 1999), Levon Helm
Helm was the only American member (Trivia: Helm was the subject of Elton John's song 'Levon'). 

THE BAND
1968 - The Weight
1969 - Up on Cripple Creek / The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
1970 - Rag Mama Rag
1970 - Time to Kill
1971 - The Shape I'm In
1971 - Life is A Carnival
1972 - Don't Do It
1973 - Ain't Got No Home
1974 - Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) <w/ Bob Dylan>
1976 - Ophelia
1978 - Out of the Blue
1993 - Remedy

ROBBIE ROBERTSON
1988 - Showdown at Big Sky
1988 - Somewhere Down the Crazy River
1988 - Fallen Angel
1991 - What About Now
1992 - Go Back to Your Woods
1992 - Shake This Town
1994 - Bad Intentions
1994 - Skinwalker
1995 - Ghost Dance
1998 - Take Your Partner By the Hand <featuring Howie B>

NOTABLE COVER SONGS:
1968 - This Wheel's on Fire by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and the Trinity
1968 - The Weight by Jackie DeShannon
1971 - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by Joan Baez
1987 - This Wheel's on Fire by Siouxsie and the Banshees
1991 - Broken Arrow by Rod Stewart

Subject: Re: The Band - Robbie Robertson

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/07 at 12:33 pm

Was "The Band" (and Robbie Robertson) with Bob Dylan on stage during that famous "Judas" moment?

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/29/07 at 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the info.  I had no idea Elton John's "Levon" was actually Levon Helm.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/29/07 at 5:28 pm

I've had occasion to recently watch a copy of 'The Last Waltz' (I had taped it onto VHS some while back).  It's amazing - not only excellent performances by the Band themselves, but it contained performances by some major music luminaries - eg. Neil Young, Muddy Waters, and Eric Clapton, just to name a few.  Interspersed between the performances is some very candid interview footage.  For anyone who's even slightly interested in this work, take the plunge - it won't disappoint.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/07 at 10:25 pm

Was "The Band" (and Robbie Robertson) with Bob Dylan on stage during that famous "Judas" moment?

Apparently they were.  At that time, they were still known as 'The Hawks'

Written By: ralfy on 03/25/16 at 7:21 am

"Concert Celebrating 40th Anniversary of "The Last Waltz" Taking Place in New Orleans in April"

http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/concert-celebrating-40th-anniversary-of-the-last-waltz-taking-place-in-new-orleans-in-april-abcid35643515/

Check for new replies or respond here...