inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Whistling torso's......

Written By: hodee5 on 01/04/08 at 2:27 am

Not quite sure if I'm in the right decade, but I remember a bunch of guys with huge hats that went down to their shoulders, with their arms raised up in the hats so you couldn't see them. They had huge lips painted on their stomach, along with eyes on the chests. I think they had fake arms around the waist area, and then the legs were just legs. And they did some kind of whistling air band thing! I can't remember if I saw them on the Gong Show or the Tonight Show.....Our small town school sometimes has their own "Gong Show", and I thought it would be a hoot to do something like that with the dads in town....if someone knows of a video online of what I'm typing about, I'd love a link! Been snooping around but can't come up with anything....thanx much!

Subject: Re: Whistling torso's......

Written By: gibbo on 01/04/08 at 2:42 am

Not quite sure if I'm in the right decade, but I remember a bunch of guys with huge hats that went down to their shoulders, with their arms raised up in the hats so you couldn't see them. They had huge lips painted on their stomach, along with eyes on the chests. I think they had fake arms around the waist area, and then the legs were just legs. And they did some kind of whistling air band thing! I can't remember if I saw them on the Gong Show or the Tonight Show.....Our small town school sometimes has their own "Gong Show", and I thought it would be a hoot to do something like that with the dads in town....if someone knows of a video online of what I'm typing about, I'd love a link! Been snooping around but can't come up with anything....thanx much!

Sorry, I've seen many acts on various "talent" shows that have this exact description but not certain where it all started........

Written By: saver on 01/04/08 at 3:42 am

Among other places this form of entertainment showed up was the 'Pasadena Doo-Dah' Parade, as a troop of them would march to a whistling song...most appropriate song these acts would commonly use was March Over the Bridge of River Kwai or The Harlem Globetrotters theme :-*

Written By: Nozmo on 01/11/08 at 10:39 pm

The Globetrotters theme is "Sweet Georgia Brown".

Im pretty sure that the "Whistling Torsos" or similar type act appeared on the Gong Show.

NozmoKing

Check for new replies or respond here...