inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is "Dancing Queen" about?

Written By: Monkey on 01/05/08 at 11:55 am

I've always pictured it as being about this unpopular girl who is crowned homecoming or prom queen and has the night of her life. Sort of a disco fairy tale. :)

Subject: Re: What is "Dancing Queen" about?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/08 at 12:09 pm

I have never considered a meaning or story to Dancing Queen by Abba, but the record does and will always remind me of that long hot summer back in 1976.

Written By: Paul on 01/05/08 at 1:08 pm

A common misconception about 'Dancing Queen' is some folk think is was written to commemorate the 1976 wedding of King Carl Gustav of Sweden and his new bride...

Yes, Abba did play at the wedding and they did play 'Dancing Queen', but the song was written a good year earlier...

And the new queen was in her thirties at the time...not exactly 'young, sweet and only seventeen!'

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/08 at 2:35 pm

"Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine"

Dancing with a tambourine, does bring gypsy connotations?

Written By: KKay on 01/05/08 at 2:40 pm

I just thought she loved to dance and was so good that she could choose any partner she wanted.

everyone loved to watch her.

otherwise, just more fab pop from Abba

Written By: Brigitte on 01/05/08 at 3:59 pm

It was a song about disco dancing (what everyone was writing songs about back then)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/Brigitte_B/seventies/70sball.gif

Written By: 1993 on 01/05/08 at 10:01 pm

It's just a really great, fun pop song. Still retains its freshness after 31 years

I always thought it was about a repressed young girl who wants to go out partying and tempting older men.

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/08 at 1:54 am

"Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine"

Dancing with a tambourine, does bring gypsy connotations?

gypsy or hippie....although if you're familiar with the film Dangerous Minds then the tambourine man was a drug dealer so... okay even I am too tired to follow this train of thought.

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/08 at 1:56 am

It's just a really great, fun pop song. Still retains its freshness after 31 years

I always thought it was about a repressed young girl who wants to go out partying and tempting older men.

like the music version of  Looking for Mr Goodbar?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/08 at 4:31 am

gypsy or hippie....although if you're familiar with the film Dangerous Minds then the tambourine man was a drug dealer so... okay even I am too tired to follow this train of thought.
I was reflecting on the Gypsy Dance at the beginning of Act 2 of Carmen, the gypsys dance with increasing pace with tambourines.

I have never seen "Dangerous Minds", but you do bring to mind the song "Mr Tambourine Man".

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/08 at 1:18 pm

I was reflecting on the Gypsy Dance at the beginning of Act 2 of Carmen, the gypsys dance with increasing pace with tambourines.

I have never seen "Dangerous Minds", but you do bring to mind the song "Mr Tambourine Man".

there is a point in the film where they deconstruct Dylan and Dylan.... Dylan Thomas and Bob Dylan so at one point they analyze Mr. Tambourine Man and deduce that it is about a drug dealer

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/08 at 1:20 pm

Is Dancing Queen about 3 or 4 minutes long?

Written By: Rex on 01/07/08 at 2:33 pm

Is Dancing Queen about 3 or 4 minutes long?

3:49 on the "Gold" album.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 3:05 pm

3:49 on the "Gold" album.
Thanks, I knew that someone would know.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/07/08 at 3:26 pm

she just was in the mood to dance and have the time of her life. but disco clubbing at 17  :-\\  sounds a little young to be going out to clubs. at that age, the dances were usually school dances in the gym

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 3:28 pm

she just was in the mood to dance and have the time of her life. but disco clubbing at 17  :-\\  sounds a little young to be going out to clubs. at that age, the dances were usually school dances in the gym
May be the minimum age is lower in Sweden for disco club dancing?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/07/08 at 3:34 pm

May be the minimum age is lower in Sweden for disco club dancing?
that's quite possible, but then maybe Abba just made up that story & wrote a song about it. although some kids do go out and do whatever they want and don't always tell their parents like I did.  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/08 at 4:27 pm

I think maybe you guys are reading too much into it.  Badfinger is closest.  It is how I felt when I was 17 and got on the dance floor, all dressed up, loved the music, and just had fun.

Written By: karen on 01/08/08 at 8:01 am

Maybe they were doing it for the British audience? I started clubbing at the weekend when I was 15.  By the age of 18 it was old hat and boring!

Written By: KKay on 01/08/08 at 8:29 am

she just was in the mood to dance and have the time of her life. but disco clubbing at 17  :-\\  sounds a little young

not in sweden, my friend.  ;)

this song really is not that deep.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/08 at 1:29 pm

On wikipedia:

""Dancing Queen" has a relatively straight-forward lyric/storyline; it's about a seventeen-year-old girl having a good time on a Friday night. Not fazed by the social pressures in her daily life as a teenager, all she wants to do is go out and look for a 'king' to dance with."

Written By: danootaandme on 01/08/08 at 3:06 pm

On wikipedia:

""Dancing Queen" has a relatively straight-forward lyric/storyline; it's about a seventeen-year-old girl having a good time on a Friday night. Not fazed by the social pressures in her daily life as a teenager, all she wants to do is go out and look for a 'king' to dance with."

Actually, having been a 17 year old dancing queen, she is more looking to make guys wish they were king, as opposed to finding one.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/08/08 at 7:34 pm

I always thought "Dancing Queen" was about a girl who was the queen of the dance floor, the queen of disco.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/08 at 9:17 am

I always thought "Dancing Queen" was about a girl who was the queen of the dance floor, the queen of disco.

It is about all of us "Dancing Queens".  All of us at once.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/08 at 9:21 am

It is about all of us "Dancing Queens".  All of us at once.  :)
So if all the "Dancing Queens" gather on the dance floor all at once, there will be no room for the "Dance Kings"?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/08 at 11:40 am

So if all the "Dancing Queens" gather on the dance floor all at once, there will be no room for the "Dance Kings"?

I have noticed that Dancing Kings of all ages derive great amounts of pleasure just watching 17 year old Dancing Queens

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/08 at 11:41 am

I have noticed that Dancing Kings of all ages derive great amounts of pleasure just watching 17 year old Dancing Queens
The Dancing Kings just sat there drinking and watching?

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/08 at 2:31 pm

The Dancing Kings just sat there drinking and watching?

and scratching, farting, burping.......... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/08 at 2:47 pm

and scratching, farting, burping.......... ::)

...ordering my drinks for the bar...

Written By: danootaandme on 01/09/08 at 5:36 pm

...ordering my drinks for the bar...

LOL ;D

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/09/08 at 10:15 pm

Ever since I heard that Saddam Hussien liked Abba I always think of him dancing to that song in one of his palaces.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/08 at 6:42 pm

Too young?  Not at all?  Too young for us guys?  Uh, yeah.
:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/08 at 4:43 am

Too young?  Not at all?  Too young for us guys?  Uh, yeah.
:(
It could be a school disco?

Check for new replies or respond here...