inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70s TV Moms

Written By: cinnabon on 01/06/08 at 6:16 pm

I like all the moms listed above, but my 3 faves are Shirley Partridge Edith Bunker and Mrs C.  :)

Subject: Re: 70s TV Moms

Written By: ninny on 01/06/08 at 6:33 pm

I voted for Olivia Walton,but I too like all of them

Written By: gibbo on 01/06/08 at 6:42 pm

Shirley Jones was my favourite.

Written By: Lindee on 01/07/08 at 10:30 am

Marion Cunningham always seemed very down to earth.

Carol Brady was too fake.

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/08 at 12:55 pm

Marion Cunningham.  She was awesome!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/07/08 at 1:55 pm

Carol Brady
Marion Cunningham
Florida Evans

:)

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/07/08 at 3:30 pm

I voted for Ann Romano because she was most like my Mom.

Written By: gemini on 01/07/08 at 5:38 pm

I liked all of them but especially Edith and Marion. 

Written By: Dagwood on 01/07/08 at 7:17 pm

Caroline Ingalls and Marion Cunningham

Written By: Davester on 01/07/08 at 7:51 pm

Marion Cunningham.  She was awesome!

Mrs. 'C' was a babe, but it's something you don't notice until you get a little older...

BTW I voted for Ann Romano.  My post disappeared.  Weird...

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/08 at 7:55 pm

Mrs. 'C' was a babe, but it's something you don't notice until you get a little older...

In a way, she's still sort of a babe.  Marion had a recurring role on 'The Drew Carey Show' as Drew's mother, and she looks good for her age

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/08/08 at 7:35 pm

Shirley Partridge
Carol Brady
Marion Cunningham

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 1:38 pm

I went with Ann Romano... she was straight forward and cool. With the changing times she was an independent woman raising her girls to be same way. she didn't always like what they did but she felt they'd learn by making their own mistakes so she let them do what they needed to do and as a result they trusted her and were pretty open with her and said what was on their minds. But I didn't get the whole Schneider thing... he seemed kind of creepy sweet but creepy

Written By: KKay on 01/11/08 at 9:46 am

I picked Edith, though your list is PRIMO!

I love all those women. I think there is a bit of each of them in me, considering I spent so much time in front of the TV as a kid.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/11/08 at 3:34 pm

I like Florida Evans because she makes me think of my mom. (My mom had an afro just like hers in the 70s! LOL!)

And Edith Bunker because I LOVED IT when she went through menopause and yelled at Archie!  ;)

Written By: KKay on 01/11/08 at 4:43 pm

I changed my mind. i want Shirley Partridge.

Written By: Nozmo on 01/11/08 at 10:46 pm

I think Lillian Munster and Morticia Adams.

Hmmmmm.. maybe those were 60s Moms...

Did TV exist in the 70s?

NozmoKing

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/08 at 11:10 pm

I think Lillian Munster and Morticia Adams.

Hmmmmm.. maybe those were 60s Moms...

Did TV exist in the 70s?

NozmoKing

both shows aired 64 - 66

Written By: robby76 on 01/12/08 at 1:50 am

I voted Florida Evans - she lit up the room when she smiled!  :)

Written By: lemonverbina on 01/14/08 at 12:08 pm

How about the mother from What's Happening...She was hardly ever around...and for the life of me , I cannot figure out what they needed Alice for on the Brady Bunch.  Carol did not have a job...the kids seem to pair off and take care of themselves...if Carol would have picked up a broom every once in a while they would not have needed Alice.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/08 at 2:52 pm

I said Shirley, Marion, & Ann.

"Howard, are you getting frisky?"  Oh, maybe I shouldn't say that around here.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/08 at 10:43 pm

How about the mother from What's Happening...She was hardly ever around...and for the life of me , I cannot figure out what they needed Alice for on the Brady Bunch.  Carol did not have a job...the kids seem to pair off and take care of themselves...if Carol would have picked up a broom every once in a while they would not have needed Alice.

THANK YOU!!!!! I never got that!!! I mean I know Mike had her to help raise the boys but once Carol came a long Alice should have been let go and those bratty kids  ;) should have learned more responsibility by doing chores. 

You know I think Bobby was more fragile than they let on and everyone was afraid he would snap if Alice left...they all would've been sleeping with one eye open thinking Bob might kill them in their sleep or something.... just kidding.

Actually I did wonder about Alice for years but now I realize that she had become part of the family, she had no real family of her own (except for her crazy cousin Emma who made the kids do drills!)
I think they felt sorry for her and kept her on so she would feel useful... Alice wasn't stupid, she knew what was going on but they all agreed not to discuss it. They paid Alice out of obligation but kept her out of love... and Alice worked well because she was paid to and just happy to be "needed". 

Why wasn't the What's Happening mom ever around? No wonder Dee was so sarcastic... she was really just very, very angry about being a latch key kid...

hey you know that corrupt a wish game some of us have been playing... we oughta play corrupt a family tV show....it seems like it could be fun!  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 01/15/08 at 4:36 am

Without Alice they would never have had all that meat delivered to the house!!!

Written By: cinnabon on 01/15/08 at 6:16 am

I said Shirley, Marion, & Ann.

"Howard, are you getting frisky?"  Oh, maybe I shouldn't say that around here.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

I remember a Happy Days episode where Mr and Mrs C were going to a parent's night at Joanie's school or something and she told them she wrote a paper for the event titled
"My Parents are Still Frisky" - the looks on their faces was absolutely hysterical.  ;D

Written By: KKay on 01/15/08 at 8:25 am

How about the mother from What's Happening...She was hardly ever around...

i somehow always thought that she was upstairs sick in bed.
or at work. same thing.

Written By: robby76 on 01/15/08 at 9:54 am

i somehow always thought that she was upstairs sick in bed.
or at work. same thing.

I think she was at her maid's job most of the time - and yes she used to nap too in between shifts...  ;D. She was a good single mum though, so all credit to her.

Written By: lemonverbina on 01/18/08 at 12:00 pm

Hey Snozberries, great thinking, Im so with you. The mother on What's Happening only showed up once in a while to hug Rog too tight. Remember that, "Mama.."  "Yes baby..." "I CANT BREATHE..." that was the extent of her role. She always had on her uniform. Shirley acted as more of a mother.  Dee was very annoying. I loved Dwayne..."Hey..Hey..Hey.."

Ann Romano was the most realistic.  in the 80s I loved Roseanne. As a kid, I was actually confused because I had to always take off my good clothes when I got home, but the kids on TV were always dressed up. especially the mothers.

Check for new replies or respond here...