inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smokey and the Bandit

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/19/08 at 3:05 am

The other day, I watched Smokey and the Bandit for the first time in ages. 

And it still kicks ass.  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_bzeg24oW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPj_7qdm0bo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7IhIdRVxzs

Subject: Re: Smokey and the Bandit

Written By: Brigitte on 01/19/08 at 12:40 pm

10-4 good buddy! ;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/19/08 at 4:46 pm

Always loved this movie!

My first love was the black n gold Trans Am, to my thinking the real star of the movie, and its still is one of the cars I need to own before they throw dirt over me. Trans Ams were the bad-ass cars of they're day.
Cheesy and overdecorated with the "screaming chicken" on the hood, these cars just were perfect for the '70's.

I'm not the only one who loved these cars, Year One has made a limited number of re manufactured BAN I 1977 Trans Ams. They are not replicas, they are reproduced with modern parts better and meaner than the original.

Take a look, they made the first one for Burt himself, he seems pretty happy with it
http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/BanIII/tabid/74/Default.aspx

The cars are stripped down and re-built with the latest high quality ultra modern high performance everything. Giving these T/A's more power (choice of a healthy new Corvette LS7 or a nasty 650 hp Pontiac monster motor) and better handling than could've ever been dreamed of back in the day.

You can have one of these beauties for only.......$139,000 EACH!  :o

Yes, I know who would spend 140 large for a T/A? Well, they're all most all spoken for, so don't miss out!

Written By: midnite_ on 01/24/08 at 9:26 pm

Jackie Gleason was the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/08 at 11:05 pm

In the sequel, Burt sings this song called Let's Do Something Cheap and Superficial that actually became a minor US hit in 1980.  I listen to it all the time lol

I liked the first and second films, but I never saw the third one.  Some people say that Smokey and the Bandit was the basis (loosely, albeit) for The Dukes of Hazzard

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/25/08 at 12:24 am

In the sequel, Burt sings this song called Let's Do Something Cheap and Superficial that actually became a minor US hit in 1980.  I listen to it all the time lol

I liked the first and second films, but I never saw the third one.  Some people say that Smokey and the Bandit was the basis (loosely, albeit) for The Dukes of Hazzard

Ha, Burt singing!? Please! Just as you noted (but may not have noticed) "Let's Do Something Cheap and Superficial that actually became a minor US hit in 1980" I remember that tune, terrible. The song was as you noted, and as I've highlighted, yes?

And BTW, Dukes of Hazzard was actually a TV version of the film "Moonrunners" (1975). The storyline is an exact match as the Duke boys, with a harsher and more deadly focus. You'll note the film came out a few years before Smokey hit the screens. Check it out sometime, Waylon Jennings did the song for the movie too. But I'm sure the popularity of the Smokey film did help the "Dukes of Hazzard" get on the air as the  film it was developed from was probably was too dark a theme on its own for TV.

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/08 at 12:32 am

Ha, Burt singing!? Please! Just as you noted (but may not have noticed) "Let's Do Something Cheap and Superficial that actually became a minor US hit in 1980" I remember that tune, terrible. The song was as you noted, and as I've highlighted, yes?

US #88 in 1980.  Burt Reynolds isn't a singer, so for him to actually chart a hit is quite good, and because he isn't a singer, he actually sounds not half bad on the song.  Though I dunno if I'd wanna hear a whole album of songs by him ;D

If George Burns, Billy Crystal and Rodney Dangerfield can have hit songs, why can't Burt? ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/25/08 at 4:00 am

Always loved this movie!

My first love was the black n gold Trans Am, to my thinking the real star of the movie, and its still is one of the cars I need to own before they throw dirt over me. Trans Ams were the bad-ass cars of they're day.
Cheesy and overdecorated with the "screaming chicken" on the hood, these cars just were perfect for the '70's.

I'm not the only one who loved these cars, Year One has made a limited number of re manufactured BAN I 1977 Trans Ams. They are not replicas, they are reproduced with modern parts better and meaner than the original.

Take a look, they made the first one for Burt himself, he seems pretty happy with it
http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/BanIII/tabid/74/Default.aspx

The cars are stripped down and re-built with the latest high quality ultra modern high performance everything. Giving these T/A's more power (choice of a healthy new Corvette LS7 or a nasty 650 hp Pontiac monster motor) and better handling than could've ever been dreamed of back in the day.

You can have one of these beauties for only.......$139,000 EACH!  :o

Yes, I know who would spend 140 large for a T/A? Well, they're all most all spoken for, so don't miss out!

Wow, that Ban III is a bad mofo!  ;)

However, if I had that kind of dough to throw around for a high-performance car I'd get a new Corvette ZR1.

And BTW, Dukes of Hazzard was actually a TV version of the film "Moonrunners" (1975). The storyline is an exact match as the Duke boys, with a harsher and more deadly focus. You'll note the film came out a few years before Smokey hit the screens. Check it out sometime, Waylon Jennings did the song for the movie too. But I'm sure the popularity of the Smokey film did help the "Dukes of Hazzard" get on the air as the  film it was developed from was probably was too dark a theme on its own for TV.

It's funny, but when I was a kid and we played "Cops and Robbers" (on our bikes), everyone wanted to be the "cops" until "Smokey and the Bandit" and "The Dukes of Hazzard" came out, then everyone wanted to be the "robbers."  ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/25/08 at 11:57 am

Love Smokey and the Bandit!

Jackie Gleason was the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, the sheriff part he plays is a scream!!!  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/25/08 at 1:47 pm

Love Smokey and the Bandit!

Indeed, the sheriff part he plays is a scream!!!  ;D

"There's no way...no WAY that you could come from my loins. Soon as I get home the first thing I'm gonna do is punch your momma in the mouth!"  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/30/08 at 11:39 pm

Anyone who enjoyed Smokey and the Bandit should revisit Cannonball Run, and the original Gumball Rally movie, both of which were based on real-life underground cross-country road races.  Fox tried to revive the genre in 2006 with the ill-fated series Drive, but failed.

Cross-country driving is still fun. Not as much fun as it was when I was a kid.

The late 70s was the golden age of speeding as public sport.  The highways were well-maintained, and traffic density, even in broad daylight, could be extremely low.  These circumstances provided a huge margin of safety for the driver, the opposing officers, and most importantly, for the non-speeding motorists with whom you shared the roads.  There was no 55-mph federal speed limit (the rules varied from state to state), and the cops barely had radios, let alone air support.  Frankly, it was a fair fight between speeder and trooper, and there was due respect between both sides.  It wasn't quite like in the movies, but...

Suspect: (Puts pedal to the floor.)
Officer: (Sees large number on radar gun.)
Suspect: (Sees cop in rear-view, flips signal on before the cop's got his lights on, pulls over, shuts down engine, tosses wallet on dashboard and hands on wheel.)
Officer: You know how fast you were going?
Suspect: (smiling, cheerful) Pretty fast, but frankly, no, Sir.  I stopped looking at the speedometer around 95, but I obviously wasn't paying enough attention to the road or I'd have seen you too!
Officer: (smiles, relaxes, chuckles)
Suspect (figuring he's gonna get the ticket anyways) Permission to turn up volume?
Officer: (chuckling, bemused and curious at the guy who's just incriminated himself)  Granted!
Suspect:  (turns up radio, Ray Stevens' Cannonball Run, from the opening scene of the movie - the scene with a couple of random highway troopers in fruitless 1-on-1 pursuit against a Lamborghini that outpowers their cruiser by a huge margin - is still playing).  No excuse for it other than that I couldn't help myself.
Officer: (almost busts a gut with laughter amazingly doesn't write the ticket)  Tell you what.  Keep it under 55 'till you hit the county line and we'll call this even.  My friends'll be watching.  Get outta here.
Suspect: (flabbergasted)  You got it, Sir.  Be safe out there.
Officer: (nodding head)  You too.  Keep it slow.  Yer free to go.
Suspect:  (bewildered)  Free to go?
Officer: (smiling)  Free to go.  Just keep it slow out there.
Suspect:  (suffers memory lapse in shock :)

(WARNING to anyone post-genX:  Don't even fantasize about trying this today.  Although honesty is still the best policy for any traffic infraction, the preceding tactics shouldn't have worked in the 80s, and will definitely not get you out of a ticket today.  Shoot, if you were into the triple digits, it probably won't even get you out of a tasing!  I'm too old to do further research :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/31/08 at 1:12 am

a fun movie. I need to get me a DVD copy of this film. The original film had a really good cast, starring a young swaggering Burt Reynolds driving a fast, loud, powerful black Trans Am and his main talent was showing off.  They must have had fun making this movie, Jackie Gleason, Sally Field and Jerry Reed.  Back in the 70's the main beer that we drank was Coors, 12 ounce cans of Coors and the premise of the film is Burt & Jerry being challenged to smuggle 400 cases of the precious Coors to Big Enos for a lot of money, within a near impossible period of time. action, love, comedy, and more comedy. I'm due real soon for a viewing.  what say we all go over to Al-B's house this weekend and watch  8)

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/08 at 1:30 am

a fun movie. I need to get me a DVD copy of this film. The original film had a really good cast, starring a young swaggering Burt Reynolds driving a fast, loud, powerful black Trans Am and his main talent was showing off.   They must have had fun making this movie, Jackie Gleason, Sally Field and Jerry Reed.  Back in the 70's the main beer that we drank was Coors, 12 ounce cans of Coors and the premise of the film is Burt & Jerry being challenged to smuggle 400 cases of the precious Coors to Big Enos for a lot of money, within a near impossible period of time. action, love, comedy, and more comedy. I'm due real soon for a viewing.  what say we all go over to Al-B's house this weekend and watch  8)

You can get all three 'Smokey and the Bandit' films in a DVD Box set for around $39.99

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/31/08 at 1:32 am

You can get all three 'Smokey and the Bandit' films in a DVD Box set for around $39.99
that's not bad, but I don't like the one about the elephant and really would like to just have the first one

Written By: Brimac40 on 01/31/08 at 6:21 am

I just bought the original Smokey and the Bandit at wal-mart for $9 the other day .

Written By: Snoopygirl on 02/01/08 at 6:15 pm

Love Love Love this movie!!!
I could watch this a million times and it never gets old. Jackie was the man in this movie. I read somewhere that most of his lines were ad-libbed and that his character of Buford was based on Burt's real life dad who was a sheriff in Fla.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/03/08 at 2:06 am

I just bought the original Smokey and the Bandit at wal-mart for $9 the other day .
cool, $9 bucks is about the price I'm looking to pay for it and no more.

Written By: Banks on 02/09/08 at 5:41 am

I also love this movie...Saw it at the local drive-in back in 1977, possibly 1978 and absolutely loved it!!!

The sequel was pretty good too, however the third film, while not terrible, just doesnt 'feel' as good as the first two.

The first two movies bring back so many memories.

The same goes for the Cannon Ball Run movies and Gumball Rally as well as the lesser known Up The Creek.

AN

Written By: Claybricks on 09/03/08 at 12:56 am

I was going through all the old threads and decided to post Jerry Reed's East Bound And Down song. To my surprise, I saw the posters at Youtube saying R.I.P. Jerry. I checked Google News and found out that Jerry just died!

Jerry Reed - East Bound & Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRwQjTYfGI

Bandit Pal Jerry Reed Dies
Today 2:18 PM PDT by Joal Ryan

Jerry Reed helped fuel Smokey and the Bandit.

Reed, the laid-back singer/songwriter who became a movie star courtesy Burt Reynolds, and whose banjo-picking tune "East Bound and Down" drove their hit Smokey movies, died yesterday of emphysema. He was 71.

Reed's association with Reynolds began in the 1976 good-ol' boy comedy W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings.

Reed would go on to appear in five more Reynolds movies, including all three Smokey and the Bandits, in which Reed rode shotgun, figuratively if not literally, to Reynolds' law-evading interstate trucker. Throughout the CB-radio-celebrating trilogy, which produced films from 1977 to 1983, Reed's handle was Snowman; Reynolds' was Bandit.

Reed furthered Bandit's cause by producing country-fried driving music, including "East Bound and Down," off the original Smokey soundtrack.

Reed also acted with Reynolds in 1976' s Gator and 1983's Stroker Ace. In television, he put in appearances on two Reynolds series, B.L. Stryker and Evening Shade.

Long before his association with Reynolds, Reed was a Nashville notable—a songwriter whose songs were recorded by Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash, and a musician whose prowess earned him the moniker "The Guitar Man." Reed's first big hit as a performer would, in fact, be the article-free "Guitar Man."

In song as on screen, the Atlanta-born Reed was a chatty, casual presence. His other signature songs include the divorce rap "She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft)" and the Grammy-winning, motor-mouthed "When You're Hot, You're Hot."

In all, Reed won three Grammys, including two for collaborations with fellow guitar great Chet Atkins.

Reed last acted in a movie in the 1998 Adam Sandler comedy The Waterboy.

Nashville's Tennessean said that, in recent years, Reed's health had been in decline, and his attitude in ascendance.

“For 50 years, all I’d done was take, take, take,” he told the newspaper last year. “I decided from now on it is going to be giving. And I’m way behind. We’re all way behind. We live this life like what’s down here is what it’s all about. We’re temporary, son, like a wisp of smoke.”

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b26888_bandit_pal_jerry_reed_dies.html

Dan

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/07/08 at 2:54 am

1st one was good but they did a downward spiral from then on!
Funny Canonball was mentioned!
Lots of movies about that.
"Gumball Rally" was My favorite!

Written By: Capt Quirk on 09/07/08 at 8:20 am

All this talk makes me miss my 78 TA all that much more. It wasn't the Blackbird, but was still a sweet car.

Written By: DocL on 10/11/08 at 11:07 pm

When grandson #2 was ready to arrive my daughter allowed me to pick the name. He was named Beau after the Bandit's 'real' name in the movie.

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/08 at 11:31 pm

This box set can now be obtained in a 3 disc single sized DVD case set for around $14.99 which would probably be the cost of purchasing each film separately

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/08 at 8:11 pm

This flick belonged to my childhood when I loved ALL car chase movies!  If you love car chases, Smokey and the Bandit is for you! 

See, a lot of the car chase movies from the early '70s (and earlier) had a totally anxious feel to them: Vanishing Point, Bullitt, The French Connection, even Crazy Lary, Dirty Mary.  It was us against them and somebody's gonna lose.  S&B tapped into the same appeal as the Dukes of Hazzard.  The lawmen are lovably inept and we're all just good old boys out to get some beer!
:D

The Blues Brothers still has the best car chases ever, after It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World!

Check for new replies or respond here...