inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Punk Band

Written By: cinnabon on 01/27/08 at 4:20 pm

In my opinion Punk is one of the most influential genres of 70's music - my favorite is definitely the Ramones because they could make good punk music with a lot of pop elements mixed in with it, followed by The Clash for the same reason ( I know they were more populanr in the early 80's but they first took off in the late 70's)

Subject: Re: Best Punk Band

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/08 at 4:31 pm

For promoting Punk in the 70's The Sex Pistols.

For providing the better music Punk could produce the Boomtown Rats

Written By: loki 13 on 01/27/08 at 6:13 pm

From your list I will choose the Dead Kennedys, not on your list I would choose the Plasmatics
and the Tubes.

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/27/08 at 11:24 pm

I think Iggy & the Stooges should be listed here, punk or not their influence on punk and the punk scene is immeasurable.

Other than that The Clash would have to be the choice for best band, if not for their raw power for their inventiveness and musical craftsmanship, more so than the easy choice of the Sex Pistols.

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 3:09 pm

Boomtown Rats and other ..

A minorly successful Canadian group called The Diodes.  They had a great song in in the late 70s called 'Tired of Waking Up Tired'.  It's excellent!

Written By: KKay on 01/28/08 at 9:29 pm

You just listed all my favorites from high school.
although the Clash is undisputed and legendary, my heart belongs to the Jam.

and the Buzzcocks.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 11:00 pm

Ramones.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/30/08 at 11:05 pm

Ramones and DKs.

But anyone who remembers 80s Canadian Punk... the Forgotten Rebels and DOA will always hold special places in my heart.

Written By: cables on 01/31/08 at 2:32 pm

I went for the Boomtown Rats. I was tempted to go for Iggy and the Stooges, but Iggy denied being punk. The first time I saw him was 1979 and he came out with such subtle comments as "F*** this punk thing or you're in trouble. Don't look down, look up". At which point he started performing "Don't Look Down".

Written By: Brimac40 on 02/01/08 at 3:05 pm

I'll have to with the Sex Pistols  and then the Ramones  .

Check for new replies or respond here...