inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Popular British food/drink items from 1978

Written By: Stompgal on 01/30/08 at 6:07 am

As part of my Radio Drama course, I am doing some research on events, films, music, etc from 1978. Do any British members of this forum remeber any food and drink products that launched in 1978?

Subject: Re: Popular British food/drink items from 1978

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/08 at 6:10 am

That is a very narrow window. 

Written By: karen on 01/30/08 at 10:59 am

Not sure what year the Texan Bar came out, but that was some time in the seventies.

Also possibly the Yorkie bar, tic tacs, fruit polos, Murray mints, Fox's Glacier mints

Written By: Paul on 01/30/08 at 1:52 pm

Murray mints, Fox's Glacier mints

No...Murrays and Fox's were both donkeys years old even then!

I might be a year or so off in whatever direction, but Space Dust was quite big in the late 70s...

(There was a rumour that if you ate a whole packet in one go then swallowed a mouthful of Coke, your head would explode!  :D)

Written By: cinnabon on 01/30/08 at 5:46 pm

I might be a year or so off in whatever direction, but Space Dust was quite big in the late 70s...

(There was a rumour that if you ate a whole packet in one go then swallowed a mouthful of Coke, your head would explode!  :D)

There was a similar rumor in America about Pop Rocks and Coke - there was even a crazy story that Mikey from the Life Cereal commercial died as a result of that but of course that's not true, he's alive and well.

Written By: karen on 01/31/08 at 8:38 am

See, that's the problem with trying to recall sweets from way back.  They sometimes spend a lot on advertising an 'old' sweet (or whatever) that you previously didn't know about so it seems new to you.  I had a feeling these two might fall into that category.

Check for new replies or respond here...