inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Concerts: Opening acts

Written By: Lindee on 02/01/08 at 3:11 pm

How many opening acts from concerts you went to do you remember? Did any of them make the big time?

I only ones remember making it was Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Loggins (2 of 3 opening acts for Fleetwood Mac in '77), Sammy Hagar (opened for Boston in' 79). The rest are on the where are they now list: Gerard, Firefall, Rick Derringer, Sanford Townsend Band, Crawler, Edgar Winter's White Trash, The Babys, Pablo Cruise, Starz, Max Webster, Blackfoot,

Subject: Re: Concerts: Opening acts

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/01/08 at 3:33 pm

Good topic.

I saw the Clash open up for the Who and Soundgarden open for Guns n' Roses.  These are the only 2 I can remember that made it big (or should I say, bigger than they were)

Written By: cinnabon on 02/04/08 at 6:31 pm

I heard somewhere that the group Ambrosia got their big break when they opened up for the Beach Boys and had to play a longer set when the headlining act was running late.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/04/08 at 7:19 pm

I have seen:

Van Halen open for Black Sabbath

Sammy Hagar open for many bands

Greg Khin open for many bands

The Clash and the Hooters open for Santana and The Who

Living Colour open for the Rolling Stones

.38 Special open for Huey Lewis

Judas Priest open for Kiss

Sweet and Cheap Trick open for Foghat

Blue Oyster Cult open for Foghat

The Bus Boys open for Linda Ronstadt

Ian Hunter open for Heart

The Black Crowes open for ZZ Top

Nirvana open for Ozzy Osbourne

Novo Combo open for Greg Lake

Written By: ninny on 02/05/08 at 10:36 pm

lets see though not the 1970's I saw Georgia Satelites open for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers,Cinderella open for AC/DC (They both sucked,too loud,could not even understand what they were singing) & Guns N Roses open for Aerosmith.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/06/08 at 3:28 pm

I don't think they had opening acts in the 70's, that was more of a 90's thing.

Written By: Lindee on 02/07/08 at 11:24 am

I don't think they had opening acts in the 70's, that was more of a 90's thing.

I saw alot of concerts in the 70s and they had opening acts.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/07/08 at 12:41 pm

I saw alot of concerts in the 70s and they had opening acts.

no.

Written By: Lindee on 02/07/08 at 2:33 pm

no.

Yes they did

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/07/08 at 2:54 pm

Yes they did

no.

Written By: ninny on 02/07/08 at 3:10 pm

THE ROLLING STONES' OPENING ACTS: A PARTIAL LIST
1970 European Tour: Buddy Guy & Junior Wells (incl. Eric Clapton on 1 concert), Bonnie Raitt.

1971 UK Tour: The Groundhogs, Merlin, Noir.

1972 North American Tour: Stevie Wonder, Martha & the Vandellas, Robert Shields (mime artist).

January 1973 Los Angeles benefit concert: Santana, Cheech & Chong.

1973 Pacific Tour: ZZ Top, Madder Lake, Headband, Itambu, Chain.

1973 European Tour: The Godsquad (Billy Preston with Mick Taylor), Kracker.

1975 North American Tour: The Meters, The Charlie Daniels Band, The J. Geils Band, Furry Lewis, The Eagles, The Commodores, Bobby Womack, The Atlanta Rhythm Section, Montrose, Trapeze, The Gap Band, Rufus, The Crusaders, Joe Vitale's Madmen, Trapeze, Tower of Power, Ethnic, Procession, Mighty Clouds of Joy, The Outlaws, Furry Lewis, New York City steel band.

1976 European Tour: The Meters, Robin Trower,Kokomo, John Miles, Little Feat.

August 1976 Knebworth festival: Lynyrd Skynyrd, 10cc, Todd Rundgren, Hot Tuna, Don Harrison Band.

1978 U.S. Tour: Peter Tosh, Foreigner, Journey, Southside Johnny & the Ashbury Dukes, Patti Smith, Furry Lewis, Eddie Money, Kansas, April Wine, Van Halen, Santana, The Doobie Brothers, The Henry Paul Band, The Atlanta Rhythm Section, Doug Kershaw, The Outlaws.

April 1979 Oshawa benefit concert: The New Barbarians.

Written By: Henk on 02/07/08 at 3:37 pm

THE ROLLING STONES' OPENING ACTS: A PARTIAL LIST
1970 European Tour: Buddy Guy & Junior Wells (incl. Eric Clapton on 1 concert), Bonnie Raitt.

1971 UK Tour: The Groundhogs, Merlin, Noir.

1972 North American Tour: Stevie Wonder, Martha & the Vandellas, Robert Shields (mime artist).

January 1973 Los Angeles benefit concert: Santana, Cheech & Chong.

1973 Pacific Tour: ZZ Top, Madder Lake, Headband, Itambu, Chain.

1973 European Tour: The Godsquad (Billy Preston with Mick Taylor), Kracker.

1975 North American Tour: The Meters, The Charlie Daniels Band, The J. Geils Band, Furry Lewis, The Eagles, The Commodores, Bobby Womack, The Atlanta Rhythm Section, Montrose, Trapeze, The Gap Band, Rufus, The Crusaders, Joe Vitale's Madmen, Trapeze, Tower of Power, Ethnic, Procession, Mighty Clouds of Joy, The Outlaws, Furry Lewis, New York City steel band.

1976 European Tour: The Meters, Robin Trower,Kokomo, John Miles, Little Feat.

August 1976 Knebworth festival: Lynyrd Skynyrd, 10cc, Todd Rundgren, Hot Tuna, Don Harrison Band.

1978 U.S. Tour: Peter Tosh, Foreigner, Journey, Southside Johnny & the Ashbury Dukes, Patti Smith, Furry Lewis, Eddie Money, Kansas, April Wine, Van Halen, Santana, The Doobie Brothers, The Henry Paul Band, The Atlanta Rhythm Section, Doug Kershaw, The Outlaws.

April 1979 Oshawa benefit concert: The New Barbarians.

Mighty Clouds of Joy opening for the Rolling Stones?! "Mighty High" vs "Sympathy for The Devil"... quite the contrast!

Written By: Gaylon on 02/07/08 at 7:17 pm

from 1970 - 1978 (my concert going years) I saw Chicago, the James Gang, Johnny Rivers, Linda Rondstadt, Yes, Dan Fogelberg, CS&N and a few more I can't remember right now.
But the only one I REMEMBER having an opening act was Bread, that being England Dan and John Ford Colley.

I do remember reading that Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees in the 60's.

Written By: cables on 02/08/08 at 9:08 am

Some of my favourite groups are ones |I discovered by seeing them support The Who!

In 1979 I saw Nils Lofgren, The Stranglers, and AC/DC supporting The Who at Wembley - this was an all day festival and so not typical: the support groups were already well known. I'd never heard any Nils Lofgren music before and I subsequently became a fan because he was so good that day.

1981 I saw Nine Below Zero supporting The Who. NBZ troubled the charts only briefly in the early 80s, but re-united in the 90s and are still touring now. They only play small venues, but that's part of the appeal.

In 1982 I saw Joe Jackson supporting The Rolling Stones. I had one JJ album in my collection already but had virtually forgotten about him. I became a fan that day when I found out how varied his musical style could be and his new album Rain is my first 2008 CD.

In 2000 I saw Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros supporting The Who. Again, Joe was already well known, and I don't think The Clash would have supported The Who in 2000 if they had still been going. Unfortunately the traffic was very bad that night and we only arrived in time for three of Joe's songs, and I never got the chance to see him again.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/08/08 at 9:18 am

I wish they had opening acts in the 70's  :\'(

Written By: ninny on 02/08/08 at 9:39 am

I wish they had opening acts in the 70's  :\'(

So what are those above that everyone has mentioned-Closing acts :D

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/08/08 at 10:21 am

I guess  :\'(

Written By: Lindee on 02/08/08 at 10:53 am

So what do you call a lesser known band that goes on first before the main band? I call them opening acts. I don't know where you saw concerts but in the 70s and in WI we had opening acts, supporting bands or whatever you call them. I saw the Van Halen reunion in 2004 and they an opening act.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/08/08 at 12:18 pm

So what do you call a lesser known band that goes on first before the main band? I call them opening acts. I don't know where you saw concerts but in the 70s and in WI we had opening acts, supporting bands or whatever you call them. I saw the Van Halen reunion in 2004 and they an opening act.

I thought it was common knowledge that opening acts did not evolve until sometime around September of 1992.

Written By: Lindee on 02/08/08 at 2:18 pm

Looking at your profile you're 29. What would you even know about the 70s?

I started this discussion about something from the 70s. You obviously did not live through them so why even contribute anything?

Written By: ninny on 02/08/08 at 2:25 pm

I thought it was common knowledge that opening acts did not evolve until sometime around September of 1992.

Iwent to concerts in the 80's and they had opening acts.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/08/08 at 2:37 pm

Looking at your profile you're 29. What would you even know about the 70s?

I started this discussion about something from the 70s. You obviously did not live through them so why even contribute anything?

Why would I have to live in the 70's to know anything about them?  (Even though I was born in '78)  I know a lot about dinosaurs.  Does that mean I am over 100 million years old?  I know a lot about Jupiter.  Does that mean I've been there?  It's possible to research things, you know...

I'm going to look for evidence of an opening act in the 70's.  When I find it, I'll let you know.  Good weekend to you.

Written By: cables on 02/09/08 at 6:31 am

Bill,

I'm puzzled. I went to lots of concerts in the 1970; quite a lot of them before you were born. There was almost always a support act/opening band, whatever you want to  call them. Lots of people have said the same on this thread. Are you saying we're all liars?

Written By: cables on 02/09/08 at 7:23 am

This thread reminds me of the story of The Who's first tour of the USA in 1966. They hadn't broken USA yet, so they were the opening act for Herman's Hermits. Can you imagine two less well suited groups? The Who's fans used to go into the venue first while Herman's Hermits' fans stayed outside. Then when The Who had finished, their fans would leave the venue and Herman's Hermits' fans would enter.

Keith Moons' 20th birthday took place on that tour (they added a year on to his age so he could drink in the USA) and they had the wild party where he ended up with his cracked front tooth.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/16/08 at 10:28 am

Bill,

I'm puzzled. I went to lots of concerts in the 1970; quite a lot of them before you were born. There was almost always a support act/opening band, whatever you want to  call them. Lots of people have said the same on this thread. Are you saying we're all liars?

Yes.

Written By: ninny on 04/16/08 at 11:05 am

Yes.

wrong

http://hyperrust.org/Performances/Openers.html
Opening acts for Neil Diamond

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/16/08 at 12:02 pm

wrong

http://hyperrust.org/Performances/Openers.html
Opening acts for Neil Diamond

;D

:D

Check for new replies or respond here...