inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Scared Straight...

Written By: Davester on 03/08/08 at 5:09 am

Remember this special (mini series?) with the young offenders visiting the prison for a good chewing out by the inmates?  At first I was allowed to watch it, I think I was 7-9 y/o at the time.  The privilage was revoked when I burst out laughing...

Scared Straight was hella funny because the inmates cussed and stuff...!  :)

For those who don't remember the premise of the special was to show a novel youth diversion program in which the court directed youthful offenders, mostly teens, to be taken to a local prison to partake in a little inmate "pep talk" about crime and it's consequences.  The idea was that these troubled youth would be so shaken by this ass chewing that they would think twice about a life of crime.  The sessions were shown on prime time TV...

Now I have to YouTube it...

Here's a clip from YouTube...

WARNING:  EXPLICIT LANGUAGE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjO9LQvDDww

Subject: Re: Scared Straight...

Written By: Moon444 on 03/08/08 at 9:52 am

I did not watch the clip, but I do remember the show.

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/08/08 at 10:10 am

Remember this special (mini series?) with the young offenders visiting the prison for a good chewing out by the inmates?  At first I was allowed to watch it, I think I was 7-9 y/o at the time.  The privilage was revoked when I burst out laughing...

Scared Straight was hella funny because the inmates cussed and stuff...!  :)

For those who don't remember the premise of the special was to show a novel youth diversion program in which the court directed youthful offenders, mostly teens, to be taken to a local prison to partake in a little inmate "pep talk" about crime and it's consequences.  The idea was that these troubled youth would be so shaken by this ass chewing that they would think twice about a life of crime.  The sessions were shown on prime time TV...

Now I have to YouTube it...

Here's a clip from YouTube...

WARNING:  EXPLICIT LANGUAGE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjO9LQvDDww

I remember the series, it was pretty shocking at the time. Just watching it made you want to stay away from these people and prison.

Question is, what happened to these kids? Did the follow the straight and narrow? Did the shock treatment work?

If I'm not mistaken, there was one follow up to this in the mid 80's, and one or two of these kids DID end up in prison.

What about the rest?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/08 at 11:50 am

I remember it. We were encourage to watch it-so I did. The language didn't bother me. I was used to hearing it. My sister once had a boyfriend who every other word out of his mouth was "F" this and "F" that.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 03/08/08 at 11:56 am

I remember this, now they got boot camp

Written By: Davester on 03/08/08 at 4:53 pm

I remember the series, it was pretty shocking at the time. Just watching it made you want to stay away from these people and prison.

Question is, what happened to these kids? Did the follow the straight and narrow? Did the shock treatment work?

If I'm not mistaken, there was one follow up to this in the mid 80's, and one or two of these kids DID end up in prison.

What about the rest?

Haven't watched it but maybe you're talking about Scared Straight 5 which is among the "related videos" to the right of the media panel.  Looks like Danny Glover in the vid cap.  Maybe the host..?

It was 1978 and my parents reluctantly let me watch this with the understanding that if I so much as snickered, I was outta there.  So they're watching me watch this show and the verbal abuse directed towards these kids was just too much to take.  I laughed.  It's definately not something I heard on a daily basis...

How any here would let their kids either view this program on TV or allow their kids to attend one of these sessions?  I still don't know if this was volunteer or court ordered.  Maybe a little of both.  Just watching the YouTube clip last night (check out the next clip, too) kinda scared me, too...

Written By: Davester on 03/08/08 at 4:56 pm

I remember it. We were encourage to watch it-so I did. The language didn't bother me. I was used to hearing it. My sister once had a boyfriend who every other word out of his mouth was "F" this and "F" that.

Cat

Your sister's boyfriend must have been in the navy... ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/08 at 5:01 pm

Your sister's boyfriend must have been in the navy... ;D

It was my other sister's boyfriend (who eventually became my brother-in-law) who was in the Navy. This other creep
guy was his best friend-for a while.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/08 at 6:49 pm

I remember one where the Big Dude makes all the juvies take their shoes off and throw them in a pile.
(Take yo dayum shoes off!)

I remember a freaky dude murmuring into the mike: "When I get on top o' ya, there ain't no stoppin' what I'm gonna do to ya!)

Then there was the Even Bigger Dude who was like "Wipe dat smile off yo face!  Look at him, he's stiiiiil smilin'!"

And I remember wher one dude sold one of the kids to this other dude for a cigarette....

I can't say with acuracy whether thiis was the '70s series or a later one.  Sure made me wanna stay on this side of the bors!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...