inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Masive upsurge in 70's fancy dress parties

Written By: DeesFancyDress on 04/23/08 at 7:13 am

Hi my names Dee,

I run a small fancy dress shop in the UK and until recently we have sold just a few 70's fancy dress outfits.
However in the past couple of months seventies outfits have been flying off the shelves at a rate of 3 to 1 over all other costume categories. I've now got to place on order for more costumes but I'm in a dilemma as to whether this trend is going to continue.
It would help if I knew why so many people are holding 70's parties. Anyone got any ideas?

Subject: Re: Masive upsurge in 70's fancy dress parties

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 8:16 am

total free-association -- maybe it has to do with gas prices.

really. i think the current gas flap has everyone remembering 73 and 79. just a guess though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 8:40 am

Are we all harking for the pre-Thatcher days?

Written By: KKay on 04/23/08 at 8:53 am

not just that.  being 70s cover song girl I can tell you that people of all ages have their favorite 70s song and everyone digs a little bit of that nostalgia.  for the over 40 set, it's memories...for the uunder 40 set it's hipster cheese or Abba kitsch.  Everyone likes something about it.
i am always surprised when there are young kids making requests when we do 70s stuff, but they like it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 8:54 am

It may be that all the records released for the charts today have a sample of a 70's song backing it.

Written By: KKay on 04/23/08 at 8:55 am

It may be that all the records released for the charts today have a sample of a 70's song backing it.

exactly.  there is  something that everyone can associate with.

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 11:15 am

i think the rule of thumb is that every decade gets nostalgic for the decade two decades before that. so in the 70s there was a big resurgence in 50s stuff like happy days and sha na na and whatnot, in the 80s the 60s came back with classic rock stations and lava lamps and whatnot... funny how the 80s are all overdue for their retro resurgence! maybe it's cuz they sucked.  ;D

that said, if there is a recent upsurge in 70s nostalgia i too would be interested in other theories why.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 11:17 am

It is the younger generation seeking out the music and going ons of their parents era.

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 11:18 am

now i have the happy days theme song in my head. that backfired horribly. :(

Written By: KKay on 04/23/08 at 12:15 pm

now i have the happy days theme song in my head. that backfired horribly. :(

grab the toaster and fill the tub

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 12:27 pm

grab the toaster and fill the tub
nothing so drastic. my usual remedy in this situation is to listen to the "laverne and shirley" theme song to get the happy days out of my head.

Written By: KKay on 04/23/08 at 12:47 pm

nothing so drastic. my usual remedy in this situation is to listen to the "laverne and shirley" theme song to get the happy days out of my head.

in my book that's worse.

70s?  You need rockford files.. or at least "just good ole boys".

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 1:21 pm

in my book that's worse.

70s?  You need rockford files.. or at least "just good ole boys".
yeah, i was being flip. the L&S theme song is truly dreadful.  ;D

yeah, rockford, sanford & son, dukes, all good solid theme songs. also hello larry and diff'rent strokes. but that's a matter for another thread, that i think i may have already started, like two years ago. :P

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 1:22 pm

http://www.dvdtown.com/images/displayimage.php?id=6615

Written By: KKay on 04/23/08 at 8:42 pm

http://www.dvdtown.com/images/displayimage.php?id=6615

let's be them for halloween.

Written By: midnite on 04/23/08 at 10:54 pm

Hi my names Dee,

I run a small fancy dress shop in the UK and until recently we have sold just a few 70's fancy dress outfits.
However in the past couple of months seventies outfits have been flying off the shelves at a rate of 3 to 1 over all other costume categories. I've now got to place on order for more costumes but I'm in a dilemma as to whether this trend is going to continue.
It would help if I knew why so many people are holding 70's parties. Anyone got any ideas?

70s parties are always fun to hold because the clothing (aka costumes, lol) are fun to wear, the music was good, and the times were care-free.  Even younger people who did not live in the 70s like the disco themes and care-free attitudes of the day.  I would assume that you would see more 80's styles flying off the shelves because the 80's styles are back.

BTW, I am in the US and have no idea fashionwise, what is going on in the UK.  For all I know, people could be walking around on the streets in polyester jumpsuits and platform boots! LOL.

Check for new replies or respond here...