inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Taxi Driver (Movie)

Written By: midnite on 05/02/08 at 8:56 pm

I just watched the movie Taxi Driver for the first time in several years.  What do you think about the ending?  Is he dead?  Is he actually a hero?

Also, at the very end, Travis does a "double-take" in his rear-view mirror?  Any idea what this is?

Subject: Re: Taxi Driver (Movie)

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/14/08 at 3:20 pm

Martin Scorsese - Director
I think the shot of him looking in the Mirror was at the Fare he left behind!
Just to make the character seem unsure about his future or simpley reflecting back on past events!?
A lot of movies end with a scene that makes audiences wonder whats going on.
kind of a empty way to finish a film
Steven Speilburg got his fame in the 80s cause he was reliable , compared to the others.
They were drunks or cokeheads.Steven was neither!

Written By: midnite on 05/14/08 at 9:57 pm

Martin Scorsese - Director
I think the shot of him looking in the Mirror was at the Fare he left behind!
Just to make the character seem unsure about his future or simpley reflecting back on past events!?
A lot of movies end with a scene that makes audiences wonder whats going on.
kind of a empty way to finish a film
Steven Speilburg got his fame in the 80s cause he was reliable , compared to the others.
They were drunks or cokeheads.Steven was neither!

Lost Fare. That makes sense.  I was wondering if he was dead and dreamed that everyone praised him and that the girl (Cybil Sheppard) was happy to see him again.  It seemed too perfect to be real.

So all the other directors were too busy partying to direct good movies?  Speilberg was good.

Written By: Banks on 05/17/08 at 4:41 am

For me, I always thought Bickle looking in the RV mirror was more about the craziness that was within him. Him looking in the mirror was like he, and the audience, saw that he was still the same Travis, ready to snap again...Kinda like a time bomb gone haywire.

AN

Written By: Tia on 05/17/08 at 8:00 am

I just watched the movie Taxi Driver for the first time in several years.  What do you think about the ending?  Is he dead?  Is he actually a hero?

Also, at the very end, Travis does a "double-take" in his rear-view mirror?  Any idea what this is?

the ending is awesome. he's not dead. he's not a hero. the doubletake is to show he's still crazy. that's what i think the answers to those questions are.

great damn movie, my third favorite movie of all time, after citizen kane and... 2001: a space odyssey. the best movie ever made. 8)

Written By: Tia on 05/17/08 at 8:02 am

all taxi driver fans should run, not walk, to see "king of comedy." it's like taxi driver with jokes. if you can imagine such a thing.

Written By: midnite on 05/22/08 at 11:39 pm

all taxi driver fans should run, not walk, to see "king of comedy." it's like taxi driver with jokes. if you can imagine such a thing.

Believe it or not, I have not seen Space Oddessey or King Of Comedy. I will have to check them out.

Written By: Tia on 05/23/08 at 7:11 am

Believe it or not, I have not seen Space Oddessey or King Of Comedy. I will have to check them out.

king of comedy first. you may kill me for recommending 2001, it's not for every taste.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/24/08 at 12:22 am

He's alive, and he's a hero. He's done what Senator Pallantine, the presidential candidate he was going to assassinate couldn't do, and that's clean up some of the filth in the city. I think the double take after he drops Cybill Shepherd's character off is Travis suddenly feeling elevated and above her. At first She rejected & humiliated him. Now he's rejecting her. After he saved Iris from the pimps, and helped her get back home to her family, Betsy realizes he's an amazing person, kind of a a knight in shining armor, a diamond in the rough and she had a chance and now he doesn't want or need  her. the double take seems a bit smug but that's my interpretation.

Written By: Tia on 05/24/08 at 3:36 am

^I like that! betsy gets in the car and he aint having none of it, i remember that. so that could well be it, he's done with her and all her black and magic ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_b3LMoQUJ0

oh oh, classic rock thread breakout! :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/24/08 at 4:14 am

^I like that! betsy gets in the car and he aint having none of it, i remember that. so that could well be it, he's done with her and all her black and magic ways.

;D  total hijack... but wait, you did tie it in to the thread 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/24/08 at 4:18 am

holy crap, as I'm watching the Black Magic Woman vid, I see the other videos on the right and one caught my eye and it hijacked me  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXmhPAaDDc&feature=related  the same song, by Santana, but totally a video about her hotness Alyssa Milano so I quickly switched over to that video  ::)  and if you watch it you won't fault me.

Written By: ralfy on 03/25/16 at 7:22 am

"Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese Reuniting 'Taxi Driver' Cast for 40th Anniversary"

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/robert-de-niro-martin-scorsese-reuniting-taxi-driver-cast-for-40th-anniversary-20160318

Check for new replies or respond here...