inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember the show "Soap"?

Written By: Entouch on 05/11/08 at 10:26 pm

I was just thinking about this show and it was ahead of its time. A sitcom involving two families from both sides of the tracks. Classic writing. Remember the possessed baby storyline, the alien abduction, the ventriliquest,the first gay character(Jody) and of course Benson. (You want me to get that?) everytime the doorbell rang. Im sorry a few of the actors are no longer with us but I wish they got to do a reunion show for a retrospective. I dont think it was on the air for more than 5 seasons,  For those of you who were fans of the show what made it "jump the shark"?  :-X

Subject: Re: Remember the show "Soap"?

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/08 at 10:32 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=31713.0

SOAP only ran for 4 seasons (1978-1981) but it's spin-off 'Benson' ran for 7 seasons (1979-1986)

Before they became well-known for their roles on 'WKRP in Cincinnati', both Gordon Jump and Howard Hesseman had recurring roles in the show's first season

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/11/08 at 11:23 pm

I LOVE Soap. Even got the DVD's  :)

The whole show was off base and out there, so I don't think I can pinpoint one thing that I consider "Jumping The Shark". But there was the possesed baby of Corinne & Tim & the alien baby of Mary & Burt.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/14/08 at 3:27 pm

What about Mary Hartman!

Written By: cables on 05/15/08 at 3:28 pm

I don't think it did jump the shark. I remember hearing that a lot of Americans complained that it showed the USA in a bad light and that's why it was cancelled. Shame, because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

"A lot of famous people have been gay. Plato was gay."

"Mickey Mouse's dog was gay?"

Which actors/actresses are no longer with us?

Written By: Mark on 05/31/08 at 1:17 am

Check out the web site  http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/ Will have info on anyone of any importace who is alive or dead, birth dates and what they were famous or infamous for.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/10/08 at 7:54 pm

I don't think it did jump the shark. I remember hearing that a lot of Americans complained that it showed the USA in a bad light and that's why it was cancelled. Shame, because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well, the show really pushed the envelope of the time for "Sexual Content".  In addition to having an openly gay character, it had other storylines that were not quite "ready for prime time".

Possession, Catholic Priests having love babies, impotance, infidelity, mental illness, Alzheimers, and the list goes on.  In fact, the series went out of it's way to try and offend almost everybody.  And because of this, it was very hard to find sponsors.  The ratings were always fairly good, but the inability to find sponsors is what eventually killed the show.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/12/08 at 7:19 pm

I absolutely loved this show!!

Written By: Frank on 02/10/09 at 10:55 pm

Fabulous show.
Jumped the shark? Maybe when Jody became this 80 year-old man Julius

Favorite character Bert, and of course, Bob
Wish they would have killed Chester off in episode 1 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...