inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone ever seen Jesus Christ Superstar or Godspell?

Written By: cinnabon on 05/28/08 at 5:57 pm

Since these are both religious-themed rock musicals that came out in the 70s on the stage and the big screen I was wondering what you might think of them and if you prefer one over the other.

I saw a little bit of Godspell when they aired it one time on Turner Classic Movies last year - I'm ashamed to say I turned it off about halfway through because the storyline seemed too confusing to me, but if they ever show it again I will give it another chance; I have not seen Jesus Christ Superstar but I would love to watch that one as well.

I think both musicals have great songs - I love "Day by Day" from Godspell along with the title song from JSC by Murray Head (proving he had another great song in him besides
"One Night in Bangkok") and both versions of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" by Yvonne Elliman and Helen Reddy which charted at the same time.

Subject: Re: Anyone ever seen Jesus Christ Superstar or Godspell?

Written By: karen on 05/28/08 at 6:56 pm

I went to see a local theatre production of Godspell when I was about ten years old.  Don't remember much about it really.  I didn't know it was a film.  :-\\

I've seen bits of the Jesus Christ Superstar film.  Can't remember being particularly struck with it.

Written By: gibbo on 05/28/08 at 8:04 pm

I've seen both films and realled like both. The music from both is great but JCS is the complete rock musical package. You don't have to be religious to like it though. It would seem dated now (in the 70's musical sound) but the voices are top shelf and the music is of a very high standard (just like ALL Lloyd-webers music).

The trhree main characters Jesus, Judas and Mary Magdalene's voices are huge.....

Written By: Davester on 05/28/08 at 9:15 pm

We have JJSS on DVD, great stuff!  I remember Godspell but haven't watched it in ages.  Supposed to be an urban passion play; the guy that plays JC looks like Richard Simmons...

Fave part was JC's hearing before Herod - "Try it and See!"

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/08 at 9:37 pm

And for those who roll in a more industrial style (but who still read a 70s message board :), I've gotta plug Laibach's 1996 cover album Jesus Christ Superstars.  Totally different from the originals, and yet strangely familiar...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/28/08 at 9:59 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Godspell...it's one of my favorite musicals. The songs are great, it has a great message, and I love how they portray it.

Written By: nally on 05/28/08 at 10:01 pm

My parents rented JCS on video a very long time ago (I think I was about 9 or 10), and I watched it with them... some good acting involved. O0 As for GS, I saw the musical in a theatre about a decade or so ago...good stuff. :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/29/08 at 2:14 pm

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar a few years back.

I forget the actor's name who played Judas, but that dude had a kickass singing voice.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/30/08 at 5:40 pm

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar a few years back.

I forget the actor's name who played Judas, but that dude had a kickass singing voice.

Carl Anderson played Judas Iscariot.

I've seen both numerous times though I like Jesus Christ Superstar much more. I know every word to every song
in the movie and stage versions. I've not only seen it many times I own the soundtrack to all versions in most forms.
i.e. album, cassette, 8-track and CD, and I've listened to it many times as well.

Written By: Homer on 06/04/08 at 6:24 pm

I've seen Godspell twice on stage -- once in about 4th grade, and again when I was maybe in 11th.  Don't remember either.  Like some of the songs, though. 

I've seen the Superstar movie with Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson (and Yvonne Elliman) and liked it, mostly for the music.  I also saw it on stage in New York about 10 years ago with Neeley and Anderson reprising their film roles, and Dennis DeYoung from Styx as Pontius Pilate.  That was pretty cool.

Written By: cooper street relic on 06/05/08 at 9:17 pm

I saw Godspell in the early 70's when many of the cast members were from what would be SCTV and loved it, my wife saw Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway in the 70's and fell in love with it then. We have both movies on disc and this past Valentines day we got the chance to see Jesus Christ Superstar live at Hamilton place with Ted Neely reprising his movie role as Jesus, and believe you me the place rocked. Still an inspiring musical to this day.

Written By: Sunflower on 06/07/08 at 10:09 am

I have both movies on dvd/cd and love both of them. I went to see Godspell when it was on Broadway. Absolutely love the music from both of them. It's very nostalgic and a little sad to watch the move Godspell now because of the scenes done at the World Trade Center. One person posted that the person who played JC looked like Richard Simmons. Here's a bit of trivia for you. The person who placed JC in the film version of Godsepll is actually a young Victor Garber who played Thomas Andrews in James Cameron's Titanic.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/08 at 4:25 pm

I have seen both movies. I grew up listening to the records from the plays and knowing each song word for word. When the movies came out, it was a HAD TO SEE for me and my sisters. As for the movies: JCSS was really good (in my book)-but I still like the album from the play better. Godspell on the other hand sucked if you ask me. I have seen the play a few times and the play by far is so much better. I hate to admit that I have yet to the play of JCSS. Of course JCSS was a very early Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice-how could it be anything but GREAT!!!

I think both musicals have great songs - I love "Day by Day" from Godspell along with the title song from JSC by Murray Head (proving he had another great song in him besides
"One Night in Bangkok") and both versions of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" by Yvonne Elliman and Helen Reddy which charted at the same time.

FYI: "One Night in Bangkok" was from the play Chess which was written by Tim Rice.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/09/08 at 1:02 am

I have always been a Jesus Christ Superstar gal, but I do like Godspell.

Written By: KKay on 06/09/08 at 7:47 am

I have seen a ton of stage productions of both.  People constantly putting on Godspell cuz it requires no set, really.  In addition, there is no plat- just songs to rely on (well, it has a story, but it's a bunch of small stories tied together).
The movie versions?  The groovy style of Superstar is awesome.  Not an award winner, but it really stands out with 70s writtern all over it.  The movie of Godspell is terrible.  Poorly made- won't stop me from watching it though.  That's Paul Schaeffer on the keys in the band (i don't think you get to see them though).

nice thread idea.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/08 at 1:03 pm

I have seen a ton of stage productions of both.  People constantly putting on Godspell cuz it requires no set, really.  In addition, there is no plat- just songs to rely on (well, it has a story, but it's a bunch of small stories tied together).
The movie versions?  The groovy style of Superstar is awesome.  Not an award winner, but it really stands out with 70s writtern all over it.  The movie of Godspell is terrible.  Poorly made- won't stop me from watching it though.  That's Paul Schaeffer on the keys in the band (i don't think you get to see them though).

nice thread idea.

My mother worked at a theatre back in the 70s and they put on a production of Godspell. One matinĂ©e, they had a bunch of blue-haired old ladies in the audience. My mother was wondering how they would take to it since was basically for the "younger generation". My mother heard one old lady saying to the other, "I really liked it but I didn't like how it ended."  :o :o :o  I guess she didn't realize that it was from the Book of Matthew.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat 

Written By: Mushroom on 06/10/08 at 7:44 pm

I've seen both films and realled like both. The music from both is great but JCS is the complete rock musical package. You don't have to be religious to like it though. It would seem dated now (in the 70's musical sound) but the voices are top shelf and the music is of a very high standard (just like ALL Lloyd-webers music).

You should check out the remake a few years ago:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275434/

I was lucky enough to catch it on PBS, and it was incredible.  It was updated, with the music given a much more edgy feel.  And the sets and costumes were also redesigned.  This time, they had an almost Nazi Germany feel about them.

This was definately not the "Dippy Hippy" 1970's version.  It was mutch more edgy, with the sets now resembling a steel and concrete urban setting.  And the black leather boots and costumes gave it a very "Matrix-Dark City" feel.  The movie was almost transformed from a "Rock Opara Religious" story to a gritty Political Assassination story.  Definately worth getting if you have not seen it before.

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/25/08 at 12:26 am

We saw Godspell & Hair on separate class trips gd6 when they first came out....We saw the stage plays!
At that time they were ground breaking.....Very Enjoyable! ;D :D :D

Written By: kairi747 on 07/15/08 at 10:19 am

JCS is my all-time favorite soundtrack (next is the nightmare before christmas...but anyway).  i love the movie also.  just about two weeks ago i saw a stage version (twice) starring constantine maroulis (from american idol, season 4) as judas.  it was so awesomely done.  both he and jesus were very impressive to me.  i've seen a few stage versions of godspell.  to me, it doesn't compare, although i like it.  just different leagues.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 07/24/08 at 7:47 am

I'm not overly religious, but I still enjoyed both of these. And, like a lot of you, can barely remember Godspell. Of course, the only reason I can remember Jesus Christ Super Star is because it was on not long ago, on VH1 maybe. Is that cheating?

Check for new replies or respond here...