inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your views on Funk?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 9:11 pm

I always liked bands like Parilament/Funkadelic and Earth, Wind, and Fire. The genre seems like it was huge back then, giving birth to the biggest phenomena of the decade - Disco. I want to know more about the genre from people who lived through its peak firsthand. What do you think of it?

Subject: Re: Your views on Funk?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/28/08 at 9:01 pm

Love Funk!  :D

IMO in the early-mid 70's, Funk didn't get the exposure it deserved.  In the "mainstream" some seemed to find harder Funk too "edgy", thus bands as "out there" as Parliament/Funkadelic were woefully underexposed.  Much Funk was relegated to urban channels only.  Once Disco came around, it was "Funk friendly", so a lot of Funk music that may have been ignored earlier became exposed then.

An ironic thing about Disco and Funk - according to some reports, in Disco's heydey, if a Funk band had not adapted completely to Disco, it was hurtful to the band's career.

Subject: Re: Your views on Funk?

Written By: Butterball on 06/28/08 at 10:33 pm

Loves me some funk! Cameo, Ohio Players, Roger & Zapp, Rick James, Slave, Parliament, Bar Kays...

Check for new replies or respond here...