inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm Not In Love by "10cc":

Written By: tv on 07/04/08 at 5:06 pm

Doesn;t this song kinda sound haunting for a slow song?

Subject: Re: I'm Not In Love by "10cc":

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/04/08 at 5:16 pm

I've always liked this song.  It has a very strange vibe.

Written By: Paul on 07/04/08 at 5:27 pm

For a 8 year old in 1975 (as I was), I found it to be extremely boring...

It only took me a few years to actually discover how much creativity went into it!

Production-wise, it still holds very well today...and at the time, it must have stopped a lot of artists and producers alike in their tracks...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/04/08 at 5:35 pm

For a 8 year old in 1975 (as I was), I found it to be extremely boring...

I remember their 'other' hit from my childhood more than this one...

It only took me a few years to actually discover how much creativity went into it!

Production-wise, it still holds very well today...and at the time, it must have stopped a lot of artists and producers alike in their tracks...

It's a pleasant song... :)

Written By: ChEcKeReD DeMoN on 07/04/08 at 6:13 pm

A song that was underappreciated by me when it came but meant more as I got older...........
Who hasn't had that conversation with themselves at some point in their lives ?

Written By: KKay on 07/04/08 at 6:15 pm

I love this song. i play it in my repertoir.  i also like the version put out by Chrissie Hynde

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/08 at 8:01 pm

Y'know what's weird?  I thought 10cc sounded better without Godley and Creme.  I did like 'I'm Not in Love', but I more enjoyed their later work like 'Dreadlock Holiday' and 'Don't Turn Me Away'

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/04/08 at 11:53 pm

I absolutely love this song. It's so haunting and beautiful.  :)

Someone did a cover of this song (late 80's/early 90's), but I forget who it was.

Written By: gibbo on 07/05/08 at 12:57 am

Y'know what's weird?  I thought 10cc sounded better without Godley and Creme.  I did like 'I'm Not in Love', but I more enjoyed their later work like 'Dreadlock Holiday' and 'Don't Turn Me Away'

Not so weird really. 10CC was like two groups in one. Godley and Creme did the edgy, quirky stuff like Rubber Bullets and Life is a Minestrone etc (which I really liked)...while Stewart and Gouldman did the Things We do for Love, I'm Not In Love type jits (which I like even more)...

It's all good in the end.....

I'm Not In Love was a really special song which I never tried to play in public because of the "big boys don't cry" whispering sequence....

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/05/08 at 6:56 am

My .02

As an avid teen listener both before and after, my impression of the song upon first hearing was that it sounded edgy, unique, and a little odd - but in a good way.  In other words, it was a sound I wasn't accustomed to hearing.  But I liked it.  The fact of it having a slower tempo seemed irrelevant at the time to me.

If someone listens closely to "early" 70s music and then "late" 70s music, you'll notice a fairly significant difference in the sound.  In particular, the heavily synthesized sound that became popular into the 80's and beyond was born around the mid 70's.  In retrospect, certain songs were among those I'd call "turning point" songs.  I would categorize "I'm Not In Love" as an example of such a song.

BTW I thought the whispers were weird, too, unlike stuff I was accustomed to hearing - but I embraced them anyway.  8)

Written By: jen on 07/05/08 at 7:22 am

Eric Stewart was SO hot back in the day! I've loved this song from day one. Not weird at all IMHO.

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/05/08 at 7:38 am

I always thought it was a really sad song. Its meaning to me is : Someone who is really in love with someone else, but the singer is not really into them to that degree.
BTW does anyone know what 10cc stands for? I do http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel3.gif

Written By: gibbo on 07/05/08 at 7:56 am

I always thought it was a really sad song. Its meaning to me is : Someone who is really in love with someone else, but the singer is not really into them to that degree.
BTW does anyone know what 10cc stands for? I do http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel3.gif

Yes...and I was surprised to learn from where the term was derived (revealed to me on this site)... ;)

To me the song is about a guy ...who is stuck on a girl but she does not share his passion. He doesn't want to admit to himself, or others,  that he still loves her......(big boys don't cry..... :\'()

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/05/08 at 7:59 am

Yes...and I was surprised to learn from where the term was derived (revealed to me on this site)... ;)

To me the song is about a guy ...who is stuck on a girl but she does not share his passion. He doesn't want to admit to himself, or others,  that he still loves her......(big boys don't cry..... :\'()

Its funny how the same song can be taken so many different ways. Oh my ex husband told me what10 cc stood for.

Written By: gibbo on 07/05/08 at 8:13 am

Its funny how the same song can be taken so many different ways. Oh my ex husband told me what10 cc stood for.

Actually....I was only half right. The guy and the girl are into each other...he just won't admit to himself that he needs her as much as he seems to..

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/08 at 8:41 am

I absolutely love this song. It's so haunting and beautiful.  :)

Someone did a cover of this song (late 80's/early 90's), but I forget who it was.

Will to Power, 1991

Written By: Butterball on 07/06/08 at 9:15 pm

This is going to sound really dumb, but for years, I couldn't for the life of me, figure out what they were saying..."big boys don't cry". I thought they were saying "be quisp and quiet". ;D By the way, what does 10cc stand for?

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/08 at 9:19 pm

By the way, what does 10cc stand for?

The amount of ejaculate in the average male is 10cc's of semen.  From this, they took their name.  No joke

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/06/08 at 9:40 pm

;D  I guess someone cared enough to measure http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign10.gif

Written By: Butterball on 07/07/08 at 5:36 pm

The amount of ejaculate in the average male is 10cc's of semen.  From this, they took their name.  No joke

Sorry I asked.  8-P

Written By: Paul on 07/07/08 at 5:44 pm

Without going too 'in-depth' with this...

The actual average amount is 9cc...the guy who 'discovered' them (Jonathan King) then stuck another 1cc to that total to signify that the band were something special... ::)

This is going to sound really dumb, but for years, I couldn't for the life of me, figure out what they were saying..."big boys don't cry".

This part was spoken by a female receptionist at 10cc's studios...the band tried doing the part themselves, but it was agreed that a woman's touch was needed...

(I s'pose that could take us back to the '9cc' thing again, but not in front of the children!  ;))

Written By: Rex on 07/07/08 at 6:16 pm

Actually it's an urban legend. See http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/10cc.asp. However, the stories you may have heard about Steely Dan ARE true.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/07/08 at 8:35 pm

Will to Power, 1991

Oooh, that's right! Thank you!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...