inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Might be the koolest show ever, The Gong Show

Written By: ChEcKeReD DeMoN on 07/05/08 at 7:50 pm

Does anyone remember this show ?
To me, it was outrageously funny !
Tacky, crass, offensive but all done with class  ;D
The comments made by J.P Morgan and Co. were funnier than the acts most of time.
Chuck Barris was the coolest host of all time.
I hope TvLand or RTM pick it up in the future.

Subject: Re: Might be the koolest show ever, The Gong Show

Written By: Davester on 07/05/08 at 11:15 pm

Loved the Gong Show, and yeah, it was a laff riot.  I remember Chuck Barris had an afro...

My buddy and I would watch it together at his house...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/06/08 at 3:28 am

It's Gene Gene The Dancing Machine!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R28b8XXoXs

Written By: Davester on 07/06/08 at 3:49 am

Damn he's got some moves.  You gotta love it..!

Oh, oh...the Unknown Comic!  Wasn't funny but had a bag on his head, and that was enough!  Had a friend that went trick-or-treating as the Unknown Comic.  All he got was a rock... 

Written By: ninny on 07/06/08 at 8:40 am

Tacky, crass, offensive but all done with class  ;D
The comments made by J.P Morgan and Co. were funnier than the acts most of time.
Chuck Barris was the coolest host of all time.
I hope TvLand or RTM pick it up in the future.

I use to watch it all the time.It was fun waiting in anticipation for someone to finally get up and hit that gong ;D
This is Wikipedia's list of "legitimate talent" that appeared on the show.

The two biggest Gong Show-related show-biz successes were Andrea McArdle and Cheryl Lynn. Twelve-year-old McArdle appeared on an early show in 1976, shortly before winning the lead role in the hit Broadway musical Annie. Lynn was signed to a recording contract as a result of her appearance and recorded the top-20 disco hit "Got To Be Real."

Among the other true talents that appeared on the show were:

Box Car Willie
Singer. Appeared as himself.
Joey D'Auria
He appeared more than once as "Professor Flamo" -- holding his hand directly over lighted candles, the Professor would "sing" in pained tones as he moved from "low-note" to "high-note" candles. He would go on to be WGN's second Bozo the Clown, from 1984 to 2001.
Hillary Carlip
"Queen of the Oddballs"; juggler, comedienne and comedy writer.
Green Jellÿ
Billed as "the world's worst band"
Dana Plato
Actress. Appeared in a cheerleading act with friends. According to "E True Hollywood Story", Plato was "discovered" on the show, which led to her acting career.
The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo
The musical theater group that would evolve into the new wave band Oingo Boingo
Tony Randall
Actor. Removed a leaf from a tree, put it up to his mouth, and "played" the leaf. He was "gonged".
Lyle Waggoner
Actor. Also removed a leaf from a tree, put it up to his mouth, and "played" the leaf (the tune "Autumn Leaves"). He was not "gonged".
Paul Reubens (3 times)
Later famous as Pee Wee Herman
RuPaul
Terry Teene (3 times)
Singer, guitarist, clown
Mare Winningham
Singing under the pseudonym "Sharon Shamus"
Impressionist Michael Winslow
He later appeared in the Police Academy film series.

Written By: ChEcKeReD DeMoN on 07/06/08 at 8:55 am

Great list, Ninny !!!
If I could Karmatize you, I would !

Steve Martin was on it too..... :)

There is some hillarious stuff on youtube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XUkzIx382mM
^^ WARNING: Might be offensive ^^ but, the comments, especially JP Morgans are why I found
this show so funny. I dont think the American Idol crew could ever match this stuff, improvisionally speaking...
*sNiFfLe* *s0B*  I soooo miss the 70's...... :\'(

Written By: ninny on 07/06/08 at 9:40 am

Great list, Ninny !!!
If I could Karmatize you, I would !

Steve Martin was on it too..... :)

There is some hillarious stuff on youtube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XUkzIx382mM
^^ WARNING: Might be offensive ^^ but, the comments, especially JP Morgans are why I found
this show so funny. I dont think the American Idol crew could ever match this stuff, improvisionally speaking...
*sNiFfLe* *s0B*  I soooo miss the 70's...... :\'(

Thanks..I sometimes wish you could turn back the hands of time,but time has to move forward.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/08 at 5:22 pm

I used to watch The Gong Show all the time and the one thing that REALLY, REALLY hated about the show was J.P. Morgan.  8-P I did not like her and was so happy when she wasn't on.

I used to hang out with a bunch of friends and we used to call ourselves "The Small Society" (I have no idea where the name came from). We came up with a couple of acts for the Gong Show. We knew that we could never get on because our acts were a bit..um...shall I say risqué. By today's standard they would seem tame but in the 70s, you couldn't say some of the stuff on t.v. we had in our "acts".

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/06/08 at 6:37 pm

We came up with a couple of acts for the Gong Show. We knew that we could never get on because our acts were a bit..um...shall I say risqué. 

Ah, all Gong Show threads eventually end up at the Popsicle Twins. 

The Popsicle Twins were to the Gong Show, what "that'd be in the butt, Bob" (which is actually a misquote; the uncensored version's even more risque) was to the Newlywed Game.  Their talent was that they ate popsicles.  Further, deponent sayeth not.

Written By: Butterball on 07/06/08 at 9:08 pm

I used to watch The Gong Show all the time and the one thing that REALLY, REALLY hated about the show was J.P. Morgan.  8-P I did not like her and was so happy when she wasn't on.

Cat

If I remember right, JP Mor-goan (as Chuck Barris used to pronounce it) had quite a potty mouth. A lot of what she said was censored out.

Written By: Shacks Train on 07/09/08 at 3:39 pm

Thats a show they should redo as most of what we are shown (not actually watch) is pure crap!
Poor Shela Cranshaw never did get to sing!
.................................STUFF!!!..............................................................................................
Certainly one of the more original shows TV had to offer.
I was checking out youtube for the unknown comic some time ago & had forgotten just how much fun that was to watch......I watched it 1 xmas show where everyone won so thay all got cheques for that strange amount...Can you .name the cheque amount????

Written By: cinnabon on 07/09/08 at 5:12 pm

Thats a show they should redo as most of what we are shown (not actually watch) is pure crap!
.................................STUFF!!!..............................................................................................
I was checking out youtube for the unknown comic some time ago & had forgotten just how much fun that was to watch......I watched it 1 xmas show where everyone won so thay all got cheques for that strange amount...Can you .name the cheque amount????

Game Show Network did do a short-lived remake of The Gong Show in the late 90s called Extreme Gong - on this version instead of celebrity judges viewers could call in from home to vote on which acts were good and who should get "gonged".

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/09/08 at 9:47 pm

Good topic.  The Gong Show was a riot!  ;D  Perfect not only for its time (it was), but it would be good any time IMO.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/08 at 10:45 pm

Oingo Boingo got their start on The Gong Show, as did many now famous names like Paul Reubens (aka Pee-Wee Herman)

In 1980, Chuck Barris made "The Gong Show Movie" which was a box office bomb.  In 2001, a movie was made about the life of Barris titled "Confessions of A Dangerous Mind", with actor Sam Rockwell in the role of Chuck Barris

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/10/08 at 8:32 pm

Oingo Boingo got their start on The Gong Show, as did many now famous names like Paul Reubens (aka Pee-Wee Herman)

In 1980, Chuck Barris made "The Gong Show Movie" which was a box office bomb.  In 2001, a movie was made about the life of Barris titled "Confessions of A Dangerous Mind", with actor Sam Rockwell in the role of Chuck Barris

But wasn't Confessions of a dangerous mind just a movie or was he really a spy or whatever, I can't remember just now.
Anyway The Gong show was a hoot.

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/08 at 8:57 pm

But wasn't Confessions of a dangerous mind just a movie or was he really a spy or whatever, I can't remember just now.
Anyway The Gong show was a hoot.

It was a biopic of Barris' life.  According to Barris, he really was an international spy.  In the film, The Gong Show is featured

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/10/08 at 9:45 pm

It was a biopic of Barris' life.  According to Barris, he really was an international spy.  In the film, The Gong Show is featured

So he actually claimed to be a spy, wouldn't surprise me one little bit. I saw the movie, and thought Sam Rockwell did a great job. But alas don't really remember a lot about the plot.
I just googled him and although I knew from his accent he s' from Philly.
I had bypass surgery last year and have a little trouble remembering things correctly. I don;t know if it is a side effect from the bypass(although I hear it is common) or mass quantities of Marijuana I consumed when I was younger. :-\\

Written By: Entouch on 07/11/08 at 8:14 pm

It really was a goofy show but funny, its hard to believe people actually audition for this show. The silly antics of the contestants let you know these people just wanted to appear on national television. You know if tune in to see the old shows notice how Chuck Harris the host seemed to be touching or wiping his nose alot. I guess in between tapings you know what the staff was doing (sniff, sniff).  :o

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/11/08 at 9:03 pm

It really was a goofy show but funny, its hard to believe people actually audition for this show. The silly antics of the contestants let you know these people just wanted to appear on national television. You know if tune in to see the old shows notice how Chuck Harris the host seemed to be touching or wiping his nose alot. I guess in between tapings you know what the staff was doing (sniff, sniff).  :o

Ya know I never thought about it but you are most likely right. As Cheech and Chong would say "Up his nose it goes".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/08 at 4:55 pm

There was a short lived showed called the "$1.89 Beauty Pageant"-the winner of that would get a check for a dollar and eighty nine cents.

It really was a goofy show but funny, its hard to believe people actually audition for this show. The silly antics of the contestants let you know these people just wanted to appear on national television. You know if tune in to see the old shows notice how Chuck Harris the host seemed to be touching or wiping his nose alot. I guess in between tapings you know what the staff was doing (sniff, sniff).   :o

I believe you mean Chuck BARRIS. But, what you say wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm sure all of them were doing something. (He also used to clap a lot, too).

Ya know I never thought about it but you are most likely right. As Cheech and Chong would say "Up his nose it goes".

:D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: cinnabon on 07/13/08 at 5:37 pm

Has anyone ever seen the Sanford and Son episode where Fred and Lamont go on The Gong Show as contestants?  (Chuck Barris appeared as himself of course)  I just happen to be watching it on TV Land right now.  :)

Oh, and during a commercial break on TV Land I saw that they have a new version of The Gong Show on Comedy Central hosted by Dave Atell.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/08 at 1:19 pm

Has anyone ever seen the Sanford and Son episode where Fred and Lamont go on The Gong Show as contestants?  (Chuck Barris appeared as himself of course)  I just happen to be watching it on TV Land right now.  :)

Oh, and during a commercial break on TV Land I saw that they have a new version of The Gong Show on Comedy Central hosted by Dave Atell.

I don't remember that episode but I do remember when Eunice from the Carol Burnett Show appeared on the Gong Show-she sang the song "Feelings" and was gonged.

Cat

Written By: cinnabon on 07/15/08 at 6:50 am

There was a short lived showed called the "$1.89 Beauty Pageant"-the winner of that would get a check for a dollar and eighty nine cents.

I believe you mean Chuck BARRIS. But, what you say wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm sure all of them were doing something. (He also used to clap a lot, too).

:D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Actually the name of the show was The $1.98 Beauty Show.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/08 at 12:51 pm

Actually the name of the show was The $1.98 Beauty Show.  :)

Yeah, that was it. Never watched the show which is why I couldn't remember the name.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...