inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Massacre at Central High (1976)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/06/08 at 7:58 pm

I remember seeing this on cable back in the 80's, I absolutely loved it and it was one of the greatest bad movies I've ever seen.

I keep holding out hope that Netflix will pick it up soon, I'd love to see it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvgOpf9SWM

Subject: Re: Massacre at Central High (1976)

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/08 at 8:49 pm

LOL Did the Golden Raspberry Awards exist back then, cause that movie looks like it should have won in every category ;D

Makes you wonder though given what with Columbine and all these school shootings, would a movie like that ever get re-released?

Written By: Tia on 07/06/08 at 8:59 pm

THIS LOOKS LIKE MY KIND OF fudgeING MOVIE.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/08/08 at 7:24 pm

THIS LOOKS LIKE MY KIND OF fudgeING MOVIE.
Oh, you'd dig it the most!

One of my favorite parts of the movie (that they didn't show in the preview) was when the hero dispatches one of the fascist jock goons at the school swimming pool. This particular goon was on the diving team and sneaked into the pool to practice diving. The school janitor left jock goon a note telling him that he had drained the pool, but the hero, seizing the opportunity, snatched the note and turned off all the lights at the pool. Jock goon climbed the platform, executed a perfect half-gainer (or whatever they call it), and while he was in mid air the hero turned on all the lights, revealing that the pool was empty, and jock goon went screaming in slow motion to his death.

I don't know what it was about the 70's (the drugs, maybe?) but they sure knew how to make creepy movies back then.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/19/08 at 3:38 am

Oh, you'd dig it the most!

One of my favorite parts of the movie (that they didn't show in the preview) was when the hero dispatches one of the fascist jock goons at the school swimming pool. This particular goon was on the diving team and sneaked into the pool to practice diving. The school janitor left jock goon a note telling him that he had drained the pool, but the hero, seizing the opportunity, snatched the note and turned off all the lights at the pool. Jock goon climbed the platform, executed a perfect half-gainer (or whatever they call it), and while he was in mid air the hero turned on all the lights, revealing that the pool was empty, and jock goon went screaming in slow motion to his death.

I don't know what it was about the 70's (the drugs, maybe?) but they sure knew how to make creepy movies back then.  ;D

ewwww...that sounds like a GREAT movie!  If anybody finds it, let me know.  I wanna watch it now.

Written By: tony78201 on 10/26/08 at 1:24 am

I have been keeping an eye out for this movie for a few years now. I've seen burned dvd-r copies of this movie on a few websites that sell rare hard to find movies. but they all want $20 or more, and its a burned disc. I might give in, and buy one.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/26/08 at 1:06 pm

I have been keeping an eye out for this movie for a few years now. I've seen burned dvd-r copies of this movie on a few websites that sell rare hard to find movies. but they all want $20 or more, and its a burned disc. I might give in, and buy one.

If you do decide to buy one, please let me know how it comes out (quality issues, that sort of thing). I've seen a few of those on Amazon and eBay and I'm half-tempted to buy one myself.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/01/08 at 6:03 pm

Here's a place where you can watch Massacre At Central High online.

http://www.veoh.com

You have to register and then download a player in order to watch the full movie, but if you like this kind of thing then it's worth it. The veoh site also seems similar to hulu.com, which also has a lot of old movies and TV shows.

I just got done watching it and it wasn't quite as shocking now as it was when I was 15 years old (mainly because I'm not as easily shocked thanks to a few Saw movies), but the jock gestapo goons were even bigger bastards than I'd remembered, and some of the killing scenes still blew me away. (The scene where the dude crashes his hang glider into the power lines is much more wicked than the YouTube preview let on, they show his body convulsing and bouncing around in the wires for about 10 seconds.)

Another thing: When I saw it back in the 80's it was on cable and thus edited for television. However, this version is unedited so there's plenty of boobs and butts, which made it even better. (One dude even gets some threeway action going, that is, until he and his two girlfriends get crushed by a bunch of boulders that...well, you've just gotta see it.)

But yeah, it was every bit as good (and bad) as I remembered it.

Check for new replies or respond here...