inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Australian Bands of the 70s

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/08 at 8:06 pm

One of my favourites is The Flying Circus

http://www.milesago.com/Artists/images/fc-ship.jpg

They had several hits in their homeland from 1969-71 with songs like "Hayride", "La La" and "Run Run Run".  Seeking success abroad, they moved to Toronto and in 1973, reached #12 in Canada with "Old Enough to Break My Heart".  They also reached #58 in Canada with "Maple Lady" in 1972

I have their 1972 self-titled album (released as "Gypsy Road" in Australia) and it's one of my favourites.  "Old Enough to Break My Heart" is a wonderful song :)

Subject: Re: Australian Bands of the 70s

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/08 at 8:34 pm

I also like the Tarney-Spencer Band

http://www.top40db.net/images/Artists/T/The%20Tarney%20Spencer%20Band.JPG

Their biggest hit in North America was No Time to Lose in 1979 which reached US #84 and #64 in Canada.  Strangely enough in 1981, two years after Tarney and Spencer parted ways, 'No Time to Lose' was re-issued as a single and re-charted at #74 in the US

------------------

And let us not forget Little River Band

http://www.comicgenius.com/DISCOFEVER/disco_profiles/lrb/images/lrb.jpg

To be honest though, I much prefered their 80s work, even with John Farnham.  For me, 1981's "Time Exposure" remains their masterpiece.  I love on "The Night Owls", Shorrock singing "He shuffles his feet awaaaaayyyyy-aaaaaaayyyyyyyyaaaaaaaayyy".  If only my voice could sound like that, I wouldn't have to replace to many mirrors ROFL

Written By: gibbo on 07/11/08 at 8:36 pm

One of my favourites is The Flying Circus

http://www.milesago.com/Artists/images/fc-ship.jpg

They had several hits in their homeland from 1969-71 with songs like "Hayride", "La La" and "Run Run Run".  Seeking success abroad, they moved to Toronto and in 1973, reached #12 in Canada with "Old Enough to Break My Heart".  They also reached #58 in Canada with "Maple Lady" in 1972

I have their 1972 self-titled album (released as "Gypsy Road" in Australia) and it's one of my favourites.  "Old Enough to Break My Heart" is a wonderful song :)

Wow ...I've heard Hayride but had never heard of the Flying Circus... :o  Thanks for that info....

The band Zoot was formed in the 60's but still made it it into the early 70' before disbanding. Two members were Beeb Birtles (LRB) and Rick Springfield.....

Written By: gibbo on 07/11/08 at 8:40 pm

I also like the Tarney-Spencer Band

http://www.top40db.net/images/Artists/T/The%20Tarney%20Spencer%20Band.JPG

Their biggest hit in North America was No Time to Lose in 1979 which reached US #84 and #64 in Canada.  Strangely enough in 1981, two years after Tarney and Spencer parted ways, 'No Time to Lose' was re-issued as a single and re-charted at #74 in the US

------------------

To be honest though, I much prefered their 80s work, even with John Farnham.  For me, 1981's "Time Exposure" remains their masterpiece.  I love on "The Night Owls", Shorrock singing "He shuffles his feet awaaaaayyyyy-aaaaaaayyyyyyyyaaaaaaaayyy".  If only my voice could sound like that, I wouldn't have to replace to many mirrors ROFL

I liked ALL LRB's stuff. John Farnham was great in his first hit with the band 'On THe Border'. For me Reminiscing is their best..... Shorrock sounded great in that song.

I think Wayne Nelson sang the lead on Night Owls...I remember seeing the video clip and was surprised that he sounded like Shorrock.... :o

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/08 at 8:46 pm

I think Wayne Nelson sang the lead on Night Owls...I remember seeing the video clip and was surprised that he sounded like Shorrock.... :o

My god, it is Wayne Nelson :o  Man, he is a Shorrock sound-a-like ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLdHx2ZXUA

Wayne Nelson is still with LRB, though I still say "Birtles-Shorrock-Goble" is the real LRB lol

Written By: gibbo on 07/11/08 at 8:48 pm

My god, it is Wayne Nelson :o  Man, he is a Shorrock sound-a-like ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLdHx2ZXUA

Wayne Nelson is still with LRB, though I still say "Birtles-Shorrock-Goble" is the real LRB lol

Yes...I agree. I intend to go see them next time they come to Brisbane or the Gold Coast...

Written By: gibbo on 07/11/08 at 8:58 pm

Cold Chisel was Australia's biggest band that never went overseas.... I always thought they would have done well in North America...

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/08 at 9:09 pm

Cold Chisel was Australia's biggest band that never went overseas.... I always thought they would have done well in North America...

I agree.  Cold Chisel were awesome and should have had BIG success over here.  Their albums were released here, I know that, but the record buying public just didn't bite :(

As a solo artist though, Jimmy Barnes 3 hits in America during the 80s.  The two biggest chart entries in the US were songs from films ... "Working Class Man" (US #74, from the 1986 film 'Gung Ho') and the INXS duet "Good Times" (US #47, from the 1987 film 'The Lost Boys').  The third was in 1988 with 'Too Much Ain't Enough Love' (US #91)

In Canada, his only chart single was "Good Times" w/ INXS which reached #74

Written By: gibbo on 07/11/08 at 9:30 pm

I agree.  Cold Chisel were awesome and should have had BIG success over here.  Their albums were released here, I know that, but the record buying public just didn't bite :(

As a solo artist though, Jimmy Barnes 3 hits in America during the 80s.  The two biggest chart entries in the US were songs from films ... "Working Class Man" (US #74, from the 1986 film 'Gung Ho') and the INXS duet "Good Times" (US #47, from the 1987 film 'The Lost Boys').  The third was in 1988 with 'Too Much Ain't Enough Love' (US #91)

Barnesy (as they call him here)  ...voicewise..is an acquired taste. I enjoyed his voice in Cold Chisel when it was raspy but still clear and strong. His voice is now very, very gravely and he tends to scream the high notes too much for mine. I also liked guitarist Ian Moss's voice....

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/11/08 at 9:48 pm

Thru the wonders of youtube, I discovered Max Merrit and the Meteors - Slipping away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7nXGKBN3Sw

I love, love, love that song (I don't think they charted in the U.S., at least as much as I recall anyways)

Plus Max kinda has that yummy "Welcome back kotter" Gabe Kaplan look to him.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/11/08 at 9:55 pm

Another youtube discovery for me was:

Dragon - Still in love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OPx3aBao94

Good stuff!

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/08 at 10:41 pm

^ I like Dragon.  Hadn't heard that one before, but I like :)

I can tell you Dragon were one hit wonders in America with "Rain" in 1984 (US #88)

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/11/08 at 10:56 pm

Was Pilot of "Magic" fame an australian band?

Written By: Sheila on 07/11/08 at 11:06 pm

Was Pilot of "Magic" fame an australian band?

They are Scottish  ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/11/08 at 11:10 pm

They are Scottish  ;)
It figures I'd get it wrong  :D.  Well Jason, when you start the Scottish Bands thread, they get my vote  ;D

Written By: Sheila on 07/11/08 at 11:10 pm

Thru the wonders of youtube, I discovered Max Merrit and the Meteors - Slipping away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7nXGKBN3Sw

I love, love, love that song (I don't think they charted in the U.S., at least as much as I recall anyways)

Plus Max kinda has that yummy "Welcome back kotter" Gabe Kaplan look to him.   :)

A classic song - but he's actually a Kiwi, as is Dragon (GREAT band - RIP Marc  :\'( ). Max has been ill with kidney failure, though he is now on dialysis 3 days a week and doing quite well  :)

Written By: Sheila on 07/11/08 at 11:12 pm

It figures I'd get it wrong  :D.  Well Jason, when you start the Scottish Bands thread, they get my vote  ;D

;D Have you heard the song "January"? It's worth a listen. It was their debut hit in a few countries.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/11/08 at 11:40 pm

A classic song - but he's actually a Kiwi, as is Dragon (GREAT band - RIP Marc  :\'( ). Max has been ill with kidney failure, though he is now on dialysis 3 days a week and doing quite well  :)

oops sorry, I apparently favor Kiwi artists.  I read on youtube that they had a benefit concert in honor of Max Merritt, which was really nice.

I'm still guessing here, but wasn't Air Supply Australian?  I liked a few of their songs, but they were so overplayed here that they soon fell out of favor with me.  I do remember dancing in junior high school at age 12 to "The one that you love", although that may be an 80s song.  I'm too tired to look it up presently.

Written By: Sheila on 07/11/08 at 11:50 pm

oops sorry, I apparently favor Kiwi artists.  I read on youtube that they had a benefit concert in honor of Max Merritt, which was really nice.

That's okay  ;)  We like to claim them as our own anyway  ;D

I'm still guessing here, but wasn't Air Supply Australian?  I liked a few of their songs, but they were so overplayed here that they soon fell out of favor with me.  I do remember dancing in junior high school at age 12 to "The one that you love", although that may be an 80s song.  I'm too tired to look it up presently.

Air Supply is 100% Australian. Sadly, they did a lot better OS than they did here. Probably too soppy  :P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/11/08 at 11:57 pm

That's okay  ;)  We like to claim them as our own anyway  ;D

And as bad at geography as Americans are, we tend to lump both countries together too.  :-[

Air Supply is presently appearing in info-mercials here in the states, some soft hits of the 70s and 80s collection as I recall.  I was watching it at 3 a.m.  and I could not turn it off.  lol

I love Rick Springfield, but most of his success (that hasn't spoiled him yet) was from the 80s.  He is giving a concert in a nearby town on July 12th, but no money means no concert for me.  :\'(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/12/08 at 12:41 am

I love Little River Band. In addition to those songs, the song "Cool Change" is one of my all-time favorites. Not sure when it came out though.

Written By: ChEcKeReD DeMoN on 07/12/08 at 12:43 am

AC/DC and Angel City !

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff265/Jilibean_01/beavis_and_butthead.gif

Written By: Henk on 07/12/08 at 1:36 am

Well, I don't think there's gonna be a separate thread for New Zealand Bands of the 1970's... So i'm gonna post my favorites here.

Dragon - Are You Old Enough

and this classic...

Mother Goose - Baked Beans

Luke (FBVP) sent me a DVD with tons of Aussie/Kiwi music from the 1960's to present, which I still haven't had time to listen to entirely - but at least I got to these two. ;)

Another one of my favorites from that DVD is "A Matter of Time" by Railroad Gin. Sadly, that one isn't available on YouTube.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/12/08 at 2:06 am

Another youtube discovery for me was:

Dragon - Still in love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OPx3aBao94

Good stuff!
Dragon are a Kiwi band, meaning they are from New Zealand.  :D

(love the first comment on that video page: "Why is all the great Aussie music comes from New Zealand?")

Oh yeah, and AC/DC (Bon Scott era) haven't been mentioned yet.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/12/08 at 2:10 am

Radio Birdman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIkod60zViM

Written By: gibbo on 07/12/08 at 4:36 am

I'm really impressed in how some of you have found Aussie/New Zealand bands on youtube without hearing prior hits.

Henk...Railroad Gin were a Brisbane band and were probably a bit before their time. I also loved It's Only a Matter of Time. Carol Lloyd was a pioneer female lead singer in a rock band...great voice. I never heard of her again though.

Don't forget ..... Mental As Anything  ....another good band.

Sherbet  and  Skyhooks were two more bands that were huge in Oz but didn't go overseas....

Written By: Henk on 07/12/08 at 11:31 am

I'm really impressed in how some of you have found Aussie/New Zealand bands on youtube without hearing prior hits.

Henk...Railroad Gin were a Brisbane band and were probably a bit before their time. I also loved It's Only a Matter of Time. Carol Lloyd was a pioneer female lead singer in a rock band...great voice. I never heard of her again though.

Don't forget ..... Mental As Anything   ....another good band.

Sherbet  and  Skyhooks were two more bands that were huge in Oz but didn't go overseas....

I've heard Skyhooks's "All My Friends Are Getting Married", "BBBB Boogie" and "Balwyn Calling", but those songs didn't impress me. Sorry.
Same goes for Sherbet's "A Matter of Time".

I did like "(Just Like) Romeo and Juliet" by Mental as Anything, but that's a 1980's song.

I forgot to mention The Angels. Here they are with "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again".

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/08 at 3:01 pm

I love Little River Band. In addition to those songs, the song "Cool Change" is one of my all-time favorites. Not sure when it came out though.

Late 1979.  In both the US and Canada, it rose up the chart in '79, but didn't peak until early 1980

Don't forget ..... Mental As Anything   ....another good band.

I love Mental As Anything.  They had zero success in the States, were one hit wonders in the UK (Live it Up) and one hit wonders in Canada (Too Many Times)

Oddly enough, "Live it Up" didn't hit the UK chart until 1987, after it appeared in the movie "Crocodile Dundee"

Written By: ChEcKeReD DeMoN on 07/12/08 at 3:08 pm

I love Mental As Anything.  They had zero success in the States, were one hit wonders in the UK (Live it Up) and one hit wonders in Canada (Too Many Times)

The 'New Wave' media where I was growing up gave Pork is not a Gift a lot of airplay........

"I baked a cake, got some beer......."  ha ha  ;D  Great stuff !!

Written By: cinnabon on 07/12/08 at 4:39 pm

If Kiwi bands count here you can't forget Split Enz, who first formed in the 70s, although some of their best hits such as I Got You, One Step Ahead and History Never Repeats are from the early 80s.  :)

Written By: gibbo on 07/12/08 at 9:51 pm

I've heard Skyhooks's "All My Friends Are Getting Married", "BBBB Boogie" and "Balwyn Calling", but those songs didn't impress me. Sorry.
Same goes for Sherbet's "A Matter of Time".

I did like "(Just Like) Romeo and Juliet" by Mental as Anything, but that's a 1980's song.

I forgot to mention The Angels. Here they are with "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again".

Geez...how could I forget them?  I saw them live in the late 70's (I think) and played their cassette to death... :o

Sherbet's Howzat  and Summer Love were there biggest hits here.....Skyhooks best were Horror Movie and Ego Is Not A Dirty Word...(purely subjective, of course).. ;)

Written By: Sheila on 07/12/08 at 10:48 pm

Well, I don't think there's gonna be a separate thread for New Zealand Bands..

Why not?

I think "Howzat" charted OS.

Written By: Henk on 07/13/08 at 1:07 am

Sherbet's Howzat  and Summer Love were there biggest hits here.....Skyhooks best were Horror Movie and Ego Is Not A Dirty Word...(purely subjective, of course).. ;)

I think "Howzat" charted OS.

You're right about that. It peaked at #9 in our Top 40, and I like it a lot. It's a bit sad that they couldn't prolongue their international success. Why on earth did they have to change their name? What's wrong with Sherbet?

Why not?

Well, we've already got this thread, for one. Plus I feel a thread about "New Zealand Bands" would be kinda niche, let alone "New Zealand Bands of the 1970's", if you know what I mean. There just aren't that many (of international name & fame) - we'd be running out of steam in no time. Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying New Zealand music scene stinks or anything... I'm convinced there's plenty of bands/singers that could've and should've made it internationally.
Something similar would happen if I were to start a thread about "Dutch Bands From The 1970's"... People would probably only know about Golden Earring and Focus.

BTW: Joining our forum is free. ;)

Written By: gibbo on 07/14/08 at 6:30 am

How could I leave out the Uncanny X-Men

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/14/08 at 6:33 am

How could I leave out the Uncanny X-Men

Easily - they are a band of the 80s not the 70s !

Written By: gibbo on 07/14/08 at 6:35 am

Easily - they are a band of the 80s not the 70s !

I stand corrected..... :-[

Written By: Paul on 07/14/08 at 7:01 am

Oh yeah, and AC/DC (Bon Scott era) haven't been mentioned yet.

Bon was pronounced dead in the same hospital that my grandmother died in (tho' there was four years separating them!)

(And I actually ended up 'working' in that self-same hospital many years later on the radio station, but I don't recall ever playing any AC/DC... :D)

The Saints (from Brisbane way, I think) were a well-respected band who were lumped in with the Punk explosion of the mid-70s...

Skyhooks best were Horror Movie and Ego Is Not A Dirty Word...(purely subjective, of course).. ;)

They also did the original of 'Women In Uniform' which was later crucified by some upstart band called Iron Maiden... :P

Written By: Zeb on 07/14/08 at 10:11 am

I love "Cool Change." What a beautiful piece of music!  :) 

Written By: Henk on 07/14/08 at 3:30 pm

Skyhooks best were Horror Movie and Ego Is Not A Dirty Word...(purely subjective, of course).. ;)

Wait...Skyhooks...

* puts thinking cap on *

:-\\

Got it!  :)

Somebody out here had these lines for a sig:

I feel a little crazy I feel a little strange
Like I'm in a pay phone without any change

Now I know why they sounded familiar... That's "Livin' In The Seventies", right?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/14/08 at 3:38 pm

I liked ALL LRB's stuff. John Farnham was great in his first hit with the band 'On THe Border'. For me Reminiscing is their best..... Shorrock sounded great in that song.

I absolutely love the music by the Little River Band...

...and Glenn Shorrock is by far my favorite lead singer!  8)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/14/08 at 3:38 pm

I love "Cool Change." What a beautiful piece of music!  :)   

That one is in my Top 10 list of All-Time Favorite Songs!  8)

Written By: gibbo on 07/14/08 at 6:50 pm

Wait...Skyhooks...

* puts thinking cap on *

Now I know why they sounded familiar... That's "Livin' In The Seventies", right?

Give the man a shiny prize.... ;) ;D

Written By: karen on 07/14/08 at 9:06 pm

Wait...Skyhooks...

* puts thinking cap on *

I think that was mooster.

Written By: Henk on 07/14/08 at 11:54 pm

I think that was mooster.

I thought so too, but I wasn't quite sure.

Written By: swinggal on 07/19/08 at 12:47 pm

The reason Cold Chisel never really made it in the US was because when they went to America in the 70s to get into the market there they were basically told they had to 'do what the record companies said re changing their sound, look etc' and they said, 'no way!' They came back to Oz and that is what the song, 'You've got nothing i want' is about. I'm not a Cold Chisel fan at all, but good on them for telling the record companies to shove it.

Written By: swinggal on 07/19/08 at 12:54 pm

^ I like Dragon.  Hadn't heard that one before, but I like :)

I can tell you Dragon were one hit wonders in America with "Rain" in 1984 (US #88)

Dragon were huge in Australia but they were originally a Kiwi band who relocated to Sydney in the mid 70s. They were big here right into the 80s with 'Rain'. They had a load of hits here in the 70s, 'In the right direction,' 'Get that jive', 'April Sun in Cuba', 'Are you old Enough'.

Written By: swinggal on 07/19/08 at 1:13 pm

Aussie bands of the 70s that I loved were:

Sherbet
LRB (pre Farnam - can't stand him)
Skyhooks
Split Enz (they had aussie members too)
Dragon
The Sports
Hush
John Paul Young

I mean, I was a kid in the 70s but my mum always had music on and I watched every ep of Countdown from 1974 til it ended.

Written By: gibbo on 07/19/08 at 4:21 pm

Aussie bands of the 70s that I loved were:

Sherbet
LRB (pre Farnam - can't stand him)
Skyhooks
Split Enz (they had aussie members too)
Dragon
The Sports
Hush
John Paul Young

I mean, I was a kid in the 70s but my mum always had music on and I watched every ep of Countdown from 1974 til it ended.

Didn't realise that you were an Aussie Swinggal... :o  As soon as I saw that list I knew it though.  ....and I'm with you on the Countdown watching.....those were the days eh?

Written By: gibbo on 07/22/08 at 7:14 am

Another from the 70's  Richard Clapton and band

Girls On The Avenue....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG74cOf5-EM

Written By: gibbo on 07/25/08 at 11:42 pm

Rick Springfield (in 1971) with band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_rP5XTo6bU&feature=related

Check for new replies or respond here...