inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Freddy Fender

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/20/08 at 7:30 pm

Hi Everyone!

I was hanging around a Prince website looking at pics and came across this picture of Prince's Purple Rain  co-star Apollonia with Freddy Fender.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/apollonia6/19990204_ddr_h84_999.jpg

I've heard the name before, but I don't really know much about Freddy Fender. Could someone be so kind as to give me a little information about him, please?

Thanks!

Subject: Re: Freddy Fender

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/20/08 at 7:37 pm

Freddy Fender is from Texas and had hit songs in both the country and Tejano music genres. I also remember a guest appearance he did on "The Dukes of Hazzard". Sadly, Fender passed away a couple of years ago.  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/08 at 10:26 pm

From the mid 70s to the early 80s, Freddy Fender charted close to 2 dozen hits in the US country charts, several which also made the US Top 40.  I don't have country charts for America, so here's his Top 100 hits for North America...

1975 - Before the Next Teardop Falls
1975 - Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
1975 - Since I Met You Baby
1975 - Secret Love
1976 - You'll Lose A Good Thing
1976 - Vaya Con Dios
1976 - Living it Down

Written By: Henk on 07/21/08 at 12:12 am

In addition to the above, I can tell you that Freddy Fender isn't his real name. That's Baldemar Huerta...

He only had two hits over here: "Before The Next Teardrop Falls" (#6, June 1975) and "Wasted Days And Wasted Nights" (#11, Aug. 1975).

To find out more about Freddy Fender, try allmusic.com. Just type his name and hit the GO button (or the return button on your keyboard).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/08 at 11:47 am

I think I might have seen him in concert (I don't really recall). It was the Big E (Eastern States Exposition) in West Springfield, Mass back in the mid 70s. It could have been that he was playing there when I was there but we didn't go see the concert (or my mother went but I didn't-something like that).

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/08 at 12:48 pm

Here you go Tiffeny.

I discovered Freddi Fender while living in Panama in the 70s.  Before the Next Teardrop Falls was one of the three songs I played over and over every day....my parents hated me.  You Light up my life (Debbie Boone) and You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine (Lou Rawls) was the other song.... I remember listening to a lot of Kung Fu fighting too....

my parents hated me... I need to call and apologize...again.  I already sent my apologizes for the obsessive viewing of The New Zoo Revue every morning. I wouldn't leave the house until I watched it to the end  ;D

Written By: cinnabon on 07/21/08 at 6:23 pm

I didn't care for the song Before the Next Teardrop Falls at first but it's starting to grow on me now.  Like one of the versions of Gloria Estefan's Anything For You, this song features Spanglish lyrics (verse 1 is sung in English, then he switches to Spanish for the second verse, then back to English for the rest of the song)

Written By: snozberries on 07/21/08 at 7:33 pm

I didn't care for the song Before the Next Teardrop Falls at first but it's starting to grow on me now.  Like one of the versions of Gloria Estefan's Anything For You, this song features Spanglish lyrics (verse 1 is sung in English, then he switches to Spanish for the second verse, then back to English for the rest of the song)

Its the only version I've ever listened to. I like the spanish verse more anyway.

Written By: gibbo on 07/22/08 at 3:16 am

Just saw the movie Hancock and Wasted Days and Wasted Nights was on the soundtrack (sung by FF)...

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/23/08 at 10:27 pm

Just saw the movie Hancock and Wasted Days and Wasted Nights was on the soundtrack (sung by FF)...

Heard that song a lot in the bars back then.

Check for new replies or respond here...