inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eagles - The Benchmark of the 70s

Written By: diofan on 08/15/08 at 6:18 am

In the 60's we had the Beatles, but IMHO the Eagles literally OWNED the 70's. From the "Country-esqe" sounding "Best of My love" and "Midnight Flyer" all the way to The Rockin' "Victim Of Love" and "Hotel California". There's so many songs they did that I could listen to for hours!!!

Even the more recent "Bluesy" sounding "Get Over It". The range of music this band plays it just astounding! They are, IMHO, the 70s Beatles.

As a drummer, I love playing "Those Shoes".

Subject: Re: Eagles - The Benchmark of the 70s

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/15/08 at 12:06 pm

Good call on the Eagles!

I'd stop short of calling them the 70's Beatles.  But they were indeed one of the most important groups of the decade.  Among what makes them so extra-remarkable is that most of their music is timeless, unlike some other popular 70's groups that sound more dated.

They started with a country-rock sound, which was perfect for the early 70's when they first got going.  Later they seemed to adopt more of an edgy rock sound, which better matched the musical landscape of the mid to late 70's.

The Eagles ROCK!!!  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/15/08 at 12:11 pm

Not a big fan (aside from a few songs) but I agree. '70s music doesn't necesarilly have one single, distinct sound (like the '80s do with the synths and overproduction) since so much was going on at once, and you can hear that in their music.

Like you were saying, they've definitely got some country influence on lots of their ballads. "Life in the Fast Lane" is like alot of typical guitar classic rock from the late 70s (crusing, partying and girls), then there's stuff like "The Long Run" which is more midtempo. They've even got a song called "The Disco Strangler" which almost sounds like a cross of disco and new wave!

Written By: Cherie70 on 08/15/08 at 5:13 pm

In the 60's we had the Beatles, but IMHO the Eagles literally OWNED the 70's. From the "Country-esqe" sounding "Best of My love" and "Midnight Flyer" all the way to The Rockin' "Victim Of Love" and "Hotel California". There's so many songs they did that I could listen to for hours!!!

Even the more recent "Bluesy" sounding "Get Over It". The range of music this band plays it just astounding! They are, IMHO, the 70s Beatles.

I agree, Eagles defined the 70's by holding the world's record for the most sold album.  (not MJ Thriller)  The best of the Eagles shows to this date that their music was ahead of their time.  They continued to evolve with some of the group expanding on thier on with success and then returning.  I am a HUGE fan of the Eagles.  When I was in college at my alma mater Virginia Tech I heard alot of their tunes playing from alot of the dorm rooms around.  Even then 10 - 15 years after the fact they were loved.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/15/08 at 9:12 pm

I agree, Eagles defined the 70's by holding the world's record for the most sold album.  (not MJ Thriller)  The best of the Eagles shows to this date that their music was ahead of their time.  They continued to evolve with some of the group expanding on thier on with success and then returning.  I am a HUGE fan of the Eagles.  When I was in college at my alma mater Virginia Tech I heard alot of their tunes playing from alot of the dorm rooms around.  Even then 10 - 15 years after the fact they were loved.

Yeah, lots of people enjoy stuff a bit after the fact (people sometimes underestimate that) and I wonder if it's 'cause of Henley and Frey's '80s solo careers. "The Boys of Summer" and "You Belong to the City" rock and have got that new wave production. No offense but I think those are more awesome than any band songs the Eagles ever did.

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/08 at 9:28 pm

My favourite Eagles song is still 'Heartache Tonight' from their 1979 album 'The Long Run'.  Randy Meisner was the first Eagle to go solo, and in the early 80s, had a trio of Top 40 hits, most notably the 1982 song 'Never Been in Love' which is still one of my all-time faves from the 80s.  Such a powerful rock ballad.  I love it! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/15/08 at 9:35 pm

^ Oh yeah, sometimes I forget about that one since it's less popular (it's an okay song...still kinda sounds '70s to me). Did that come out before or after "Dirty Laundry"?

Anyway, if we're talking about band songs, these are my favorites:

The Long Run
Take it Easy
Disco Strangler
Life in the Fast Lane
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Lyin' Eyes (no joke, when Jerry Springer was mayor of Cincinnati, he apparently got to sing this one onstage with them)

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/08 at 9:53 pm

^ it came out before Dirty Laundry

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/20/08 at 7:53 pm

I prefer the pre Joe Walsh Eagles, Poco was a good band but often overlooked.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/20/08 at 8:03 pm

A few of my favorites-

One of These Nights
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane
Take It to the Limit
I Can't Tell You Why

Check for new replies or respond here...