inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Squeeze or as they were known in the states U.K. Squeeze

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/23/08 at 9:23 am

I just loved this band and its first few albums.

band that came to prominence in the New Wave period of the late 1970s, and continued recording successfully in the 1980s and 1990s. They are known for their hit songs "Cool for Cats," "Up the Junction," "Tempted," "Black Coffee In Bed," "Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)," and "Hourglass," among others. All of Squeeze's hits were written by band members Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford.

The group formed in London in 1974, and first broke up in 1982. Squeeze then reformed in 1985, and broke up again in 1999. The band has reunited for tours through the United States and United Kingdom in 2007 and 2008.
Contents
Sorry but I was only allowed to put up 6 options. If you have a fav not listed here feel free to share. ;D

Subject: Re: Squeeze or as they were known in the states U.K. Squeeze

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/23/08 at 11:09 am

My favorite is Argybargy.  Funny, but I've never heard them referred to as UK Squeeze.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/23/08 at 11:25 am

My favorite is Argybargy.  Funny, but I've never heard them referred to as UK Squeeze.

It was only for a short time because some other band had the name Tight Squeeze, and legal issues arose. They were also known briefly as U.K. Squeeze in Australia . But it was the U.K. was dropped.

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/08 at 11:54 am

It was only for their 1978 debut they were known as 'U.K. Squeeze' in America.  Their first ever hit in the USA was 'Tempted' in 1981.  In Canada, it was 'Another Nail in My Heart' in 1980 and their first ever Top 40 hit across North America was 'Hourglass' in 1987

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/23/08 at 9:03 pm

It was only for their 1978 debut they were known as 'U.K. Squeeze' in America.  Their first ever hit in the USA was 'Tempted' in 1981.  In Canada, it was 'Another Nail in My Heart' in 1980 and their first ever Top 40 hit across North America was 'Hourglass' in 1987

I read that and was surprised I loved most of their early stuff. I loved Black coffee in Bed, among others

Written By: Davester on 08/23/08 at 9:13 pm

I like their eighties stuff...

Written By: cinnabon on 08/30/08 at 5:39 pm

I picked Cool for Cats from the list - I like pretty much all their songs though.

They made a new version of their song Tempted in the 90s, called Temted '94, for the soundtrack of Reality Bites.

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/08 at 10:52 pm

They made a new version of their song Tempted in the 90s, called Temted '94, for the soundtrack of Reality Bites.

And it ended up re-charting overseas

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/30/08 at 11:21 pm

I didn't care for that version.

Written By: IanG on 09/18/08 at 6:34 am

Squeeze emerged at a time when British songwriting was at one of it's sporadic peaks.
Along with the likes of Paul Weller, Elvis Costello and Kirsty MacColl, they crafted many
witty and touching songs that were rich in wordplay and melody.
My favourite Squeeze songs would have to be Up The Junction, Take me I'm Yours
and Labelled With Love.

Written By: Zeb on 10/14/08 at 3:50 pm

"Pulling Mussels From a Shell" is my fave.

Written By: mooster on 10/16/08 at 5:36 am

Cool for Cats is an all time favourite!

Check for new replies or respond here...