inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Every Which Way But Loose

Written By: cinnabon on 08/29/08 at 7:18 am

Who all has seen this 1978 movie and what did you think of it?

This was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid - I think it's pretty hysterical seeing Clint Eastwood acting alongside the chimpanzee and it's got some pretty good music in it too, with the late great Eddie Rabbitt singing the title song along with cameos in the film by Charlie Rich and Mel Tillis. 

I recently purchased the DVD on Amazon and am planning to watch it tonight.

Subject: Re: Every Which Way But Loose

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/29/08 at 8:01 am

Thought it was funny as hell. Especially Clyde stealing Ruth Romans  oreos. In fact she was very funny in that role. Enjoy.. Lots of good hand to hand fighting if you're into that sorta thing.

Written By: Davester on 08/29/08 at 7:15 pm

Watched this one at the drive-in.  I love this and the sequel.  Not brilliant flicks but it's fun watching Clint Eastwood and Geoffrey Lewis...

I used to think that Philo and Orville were supposed to be brothers...

Any Which Way You Can was extremely hard to find on DVD for some reason...

Written By: whistledog on 08/29/08 at 8:25 pm

I only saw 'Any Which Way You Can'.  I always liked Geoffrey Lewis because I best remember him from early episodes of Mama's Family as Vint's troublesome friend Claude Cainmaker

Written By: cinnabon on 08/30/08 at 6:25 am

Thought it was funny as hell. Especially Clyde stealing Ruth Romans  oreos. In fact she was very funny in that role. Enjoy.. Lots of good hand to hand fighting if you're into that sorta thing.

Actually her name is Ruth Gordon and she was great.  I did watch the DVD last night and I think this had to be one of the funniest films of the 70s; among my favorite scenes was where the 2 members of the motorcycle gang drove through the car wash on their bikes in a fruitless effort to hide from Philo, who was chasing them in his truck and the scene where Philo sneaks Clyde into the zoo late at night so he can mate with a female monkey while the song "Behind Closed Doors" is playing in the background.  ;D

Written By: Orevorn on 08/30/08 at 11:43 am

I think it's pretty hysterical seeing Clint Eastwood acting alongside the chimpanzee and it's got some pretty good music in it too

Actually, it's an orangutan, not a chimpanzee.

Written By: Cool Awesome Dude on 08/30/08 at 11:58 am

Actually, it's an orangutan, not a chimpanzee.

Potato, Potahto ...

Written By: cinnabon on 08/30/08 at 5:33 pm

Watched this one at the drive-in.  I love this and the sequel.  Not brilliant flicks but it's fun watching Clint Eastwood and Geoffrey Lewis...

I used to think that Philo and Orville were supposed to be brothers...

Any Which Way You Can was extremely hard to find on DVD for some reason...

Amazon has copies of Any Which Way You Can - you can even get it as part of a combo with Every Which Way But Loose.

Written By: A Perfect Stranger on 08/31/08 at 1:37 pm

I do not know which one is which, but I do enjoy these movies.

"right turn Clyde"

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/01/08 at 3:54 am

Actually her name is Ruth Gordon and she was great.  I did watch the DVD last night and I think this had to be one of the funniest films of the 70s; among my favorite scenes was where the 2 members of the motorcycle gang drove through the car wash on their bikes in a fruitless effort to hide from Philo, who was chasing them in his truck and the scene where Philo sneaks Clyde into the zoo late at night so he can mate with a female monkey while the song "Behind Closed Doors" is playing in the background.  ;D

Whoops always got the two mixed up.. my bad

Written By: cinnabon on 09/01/08 at 1:11 pm

Whoops always got the two mixed up.. my bad

That's OK!  I got the monkeys mixed up myself.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/01/08 at 5:18 pm

I always thought the Black Widows were funny.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAmPY-ELCo4

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/01/08 at 11:49 pm

The Black Widows!!! ;D

Those bunch of actors added to the fun like the Keystone Cops did in their time!
I always laughed when Clint took all their bikes & scapped them!
I think Clint Eastwood was in better moods at the time he did the series!

Unforgiven was a cinema Masterpiece!
(got the big award for that one!)
Cause in that movie the topic of killing a man was Pushed at..........
Hey ask any vetran how easy it is to actually kill!!!!!!
Growing up I hated those Roy Rogers things & westerns alike....
Their clothes never got dirty.....Their hats never fell off.....
& They could shoot no better if God Himself was doing the aim!

Unforgiven they questioned their motives constantly!!!
& were AFRAID!!!!!

As Orville said........"I told her you had the clap"

Written By: Davester on 09/02/08 at 12:09 am

Amazon has copies of Any Which Way You Can - you can even get it as part of a combo with Every Which Way But Loose.

Thanks.  I did manage to track down a copy.  I had to special order it around three years ago...

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/08 at 12:26 am

You can get 'Every Which Way' and 'Any Which Way' as part of a Eastwood 4 DVD pack (in a single DVD case).  I think the other two are 'Honkytonk Man' and 'Bronco Billy', but I could be wrong

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/03/08 at 9:57 pm

You can get 'Every Which Way' and 'Any Which Way' as part of a Eastwood 4 DVD pack (in a single DVD case).  I think the other two are 'Honkytonk Man' and 'Bronco Billy', but I could be wrong

I loved Bronco billy and Honky Tonk Man. But my fav is Two mules for sister Sara.

Written By: Davester on 09/03/08 at 10:04 pm

Two mules for sister Sara.

Now you're talkin'... 8)

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/08 at 10:10 pm

Paris Hilton should be in this film.  After all, she is Loose every which way ;D

Written By: cinnabon on 09/04/08 at 8:56 pm

Paris Hilton should be in this film.  After all, she is Loose every which way ;D

Yeah if they did a remake of the film she might be perfect for the part of Lynn Halsey-Taylor that was played by Sondra Locke.

Written By: gumbypiz on 09/05/08 at 12:38 am

Sorry to rain on everyones sunny memories of the movie (I'm a fan too) but the real story of Clyde is a bit more sad...

According to "Visions of Caliban: On Chimpanzees and People" by famed primatologist Jane Goodall and Dale Peterson, the original "Clyde" was trained with a can of mace and a pipe wrapped in newspaper. He was viciously beaten the day before filming started to make him more docile. Near the end of filming the sequel "Any Which Way You Can," the orangutan was caught stealing doughnuts on the set, brought back to the training facility and beaten for 20 minutes with a 3 1/2 -foot ax handle. He died soon after of a cerebral hemorrhage.  :o >:(

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/07/08 at 3:02 am

Sorry to rain on everyones sunny memories of the movie (I'm a fan too) but the real story of Clyde is a bit more sad...

According to "Visions of Caliban: On Chimpanzees and People" by famed primatologist Jane Goodall and Dale Peterson, the original "Clyde" was trained with a can of mace and a pipe wrapped in newspaper. He was viciously beaten the day before filming started to make him more docile. Near the end of filming the sequel "Any Which Way You Can," the orangutan was caught stealing doughnuts on the set, brought back to the training facility and beaten for 20 minutes with a 3 1/2 -foot ax handle. He died soon after of a cerebral hemorrhage.  :o >:(

Yeah makes me think of how many other animals met that fate!!!
Yet if the real Clyde had attacked someone & was put down they would say what a vicious beast he was!
Did it mention who did the killing or was he charged???

Check for new replies or respond here...