inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Barry White

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/06/08 at 10:40 am

I was watching Bio Channel and Barry White was the subject. While on the whole I hated disco music, I loved Barry White, :\'( and Love Unlimited.Most of my friends went huh? How can you like that?? But I consider myself to be pretty musically diverse, the only two forms of music I really despise is Disco and its bastard child Rap.
He really did have a voice that was very seductive.. just something about his voice and the music that touches the soul (no pun intended)
Not just erotically it gave you the kind of feeling that well the best way I can describe it is feel good but not sappy.
Reminds me of being a teenager, and a certain rite of passage. ;)

1. I had no idea there was so controversy between his family,his agent and his then current girlfriend. That was awful not being allowed to see their father before he died.

2. That the birth rate jumped during the three years he was at his peak in the mid seventies.( I don't know if this is really fact or not)

3. I don't think anyone will ever have that kind of silky, seductive quality, even now when I listen to Barry White I feel like he is singing to me.

Subject: Re: Barry White

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/06/08 at 12:05 pm

He was one of a kind.  :D

Of his huge hits, my favorite was probably You're My First, My Last, My Everything.  But I also liked some of his obscure stuff.

Did you know that in the 1972 hit ballad by Love Unlimited, Walking In The Rain With The One I Love, the male love interest vocal was Barry White?  I think that's the first time I heard his voice.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/06/08 at 2:15 pm

He was one of a kind.  :D

Of his huge hits, my favorite was probably You're My First, My Last, My Everything.  But I also liked some of his obscure stuff.

Did you know that in the 1972 hit ballad by Love Unlimited, Walking In The Rain With The One I Love, the male love interest vocal was Barry White?  I think that's the first time I heard his voice.

Yes I knew that, he was more into producing at that point, if you can catch his bio, it was great.
Geez... Between Curtis Mayfield, Issac Hayes, and Barry White there must be some really good soul music in the afterlife.

Written By: cinnabon on 09/06/08 at 4:52 pm

I like the instrumental Love's Theme by Love Unlimited the best among his works.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/06/08 at 7:33 pm

I like the instrumental Love's Theme by Love Unlimited the best among his works.

One of my favs, and a guilty pleasure ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/06/08 at 7:46 pm

Love's Theme is one of my favorites. It's so beautiful!  :)

Written By: Lindee on 09/06/08 at 8:29 pm

I love Barry White's music. It was out way before the disco (saturday night fever) craze. Regarding # 2 I also heard that alot of babies were conceived to Barry White music in the 70s. I also watched a special about his life. I'm not sure but I think it was a VH-1 Behind The Music about him. From what I remember his brother died from drugs and I think Barry himself did some jail time as a teen.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/06/08 at 10:35 pm

I love Barry White's music. It was out way before the disco (saturday night fever) craze. Regarding # 2 I also heard that alot of babies were conceived to Barry White music in the 70s. I also watched a special about his life. I'm not sure but I think it was a VH-1 Behind The Music about him. From what I remember his brother died from drugs and I think Barry himself did some jail time as a teen.

Yeah the Bio I watched said he was a gang member when he was a kid and did do time. I guess it was that experience that made him turn his life around.
His son looks just like him. Didn't say anything about his bro though.

Written By: Entouch on 09/08/08 at 10:25 pm

Barry White is a legend period.  I love the fact that every soft rock radio station in the US have to include a Barry White track in its rotation. The Love Unlimited Orchestra is his defining achievement. He was more than just a singer obviously, you can say was a songwriter,composer, and producer. (I think he formed and produced a girl group too forgot their name) He did say he owed alot of his talent to his mther who taught him to play the piano.

Written By: Lindee on 09/09/08 at 9:19 am

Barry White is a legend period.  I love the fact that every soft rock radio station in the US have to include a Barry White track in its rotation. The Love Unlimited Orchestra is his defining achievement. He was more than just a singer obviously, you can say was a songwriter,composer, and producer. (I think he formed and produced a girl group too forgot their name) He did say he owed alot of his talent to his mther who taught him to play the piano.

The girl group was The Three Degrees. I think he was married to one of them.

Written By: Paul on 09/09/08 at 4:00 pm

The girl group was The Three Degrees. I think he was married to one of them.

Nothing to do with The 3D's...the girl group he got involved with was Love Unlimited...

He got involved with one member so much (Glodean James), that he married her!

Written By: Lindee on 09/10/08 at 8:00 am

Nothing to do with The 3D's...the girl group he got involved with was Love Unlimited...

He got involved with one member so much (Glodean James), that he married her!

Oops!  :-[  Sorry wrong group. Got the names mixed up.

Check for new replies or respond here...