inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pink Floyd founder dies at 65

Written By: Claybricks on 09/15/08 at 11:35 pm

Floyd founder Wright dies at 65

Pink Floyd keyboard player and founder member Richard Wright has died, aged 65, from cancer.

Wright appeared on the group's first album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, in 1967 alongside lead guitarist Syd Barrett, Roger Waters and Nick Mason.

Dave Gilmour joined the band at the start of 1968 while Barrett left the group shortly afterwards.

Gilmour said: "He was such a lovely, gentle, genuine man and will be missed terribly by so many who loved him."

Writing on his website, he added: "And that's a lot of people. Did he not get the loudest, longest round of applause at the end of every show in 2006?"

Wright's spokesman said in a statement: "The family of Richard Wright, founder member of Pink Floyd, announce with great sadness that Richard died today after a short struggle with cancer.

"The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this difficult time."

He did not say what form of cancer the self-taught keyboard player and pianist had.

Live 8

Wright, a founder member of The Pink Floyd Sound - and other previous incarnations including Sigma 6 - met Waters and Mason at architecture school.

Pink Floyd achieved legendary status with albums including 1973's The Dark Side Of The Moon, which stayed in the US album chart for more than a decade.

Wright, known as Rick earlier in his career, wrote The Great Gig In The Sky and Us And Them from the album.

Waters left the band in 1981, performing his last concert at London's Earls Court.

Wright, together with Gilmour and Mason, continued to record and tour as Pink Floyd during the remainder of the 1980s and into the 1990s, releasing their last studio album - The Division Bell - in 1994.

In 2005, the full band reunited - for the first time in 24 years - for the Live 8 concert in London's Hyde Park.

Wright also contributed vocals and keyboards to Gilmour's 2006 solo album On An Island, while performing with his touring band in shows in Europe and the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7617363.stm

Dan

Subject: Re: Pink Floyd founder dies at 65

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/15/08 at 11:49 pm

that is sad news indeed. so much talent gone  :(  RIP

Written By: IanG on 09/16/08 at 4:12 am

This is very sad news.

I'm no authority on Pink Floyd, but he seemed to be a quiet, unassuming
man who let his talent speak for itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't get embroiled in the bitter wrangling
between Waters and Gilmour and yet was treated pretty shabbily all the same.

RIP

Written By: Paul on 09/16/08 at 7:01 am

This is very sad news.

I'm no authority on Pink Floyd, but he seemed to be a quiet, unassuming
man who let his talent speak for itself.

Indeed...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't get embroiled in the bitter wrangling
between Waters and Gilmour and yet was treated pretty shabbily all the same.

I'm no authority myself, but if he was going to be embroiled with anyone, it'd be Waters...

(Waters would get embroiled with almost anyone!)

RIP - Rick

Check for new replies or respond here...