inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help me remember...

Written By: seeburg220 on 09/25/08 at 7:31 pm

What was the name of the organization in the seventies, that was a clearinghouse for penpals around the world?  You'd supply them your name and some basic info, and they would set you up with a penpal of someone from a distant country.  They had a commercial, perhaps on PBS for this.  I was a kid then, and wrote to another kid in Mexico.  Any clues??

Subject: Re: Help me remember...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/25/08 at 9:46 pm

What was the name of the organization in the seventies, that was a clearinghouse for penpals around the world?  You'd supply them your name and some basic info, and they would set you up with a penpal of someone from a distant country.  They had a commercial, perhaps on PBS for this.  I was a kid then, and wrote to another kid in Mexico.  Any clues??

I don't remember the name.  :-\\  I do vaguely recall a service like that from around the 70's, though.  Good luck finding the name!

Written By: Capt Quirk on 09/26/08 at 6:41 am

I'm in the same boat. I remember it, because I had a penpal in Norway through this program. But yet, I almost remember the zip in Boston because of Zoom zoom zooma zoom... It's sad when the mind goes.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 09/26/08 at 6:43 am

Maybe Wiki can come to the rescue? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_pal

Written By: seeburg220 on 09/28/08 at 8:51 pm

Maybe Wiki can come to the rescue? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_pal

Thanks for the wiki hint... It was Big Blue Marble, if I recall correctly.  I think they would highlight a kid in a different country each week, and then at the end, they'd have an address for you to write to become a Pen Pal.  Sound familiar, anyone?

Written By: Capt Quirk on 09/29/08 at 9:10 am

That is what I thought when I posted the link. My memory is as bad as yours, because I remember getting a penpal from one of those shows, but don't remember Big Blue Marble.

Check for new replies or respond here...