inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Polly Brown and Pickettywitch

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/08 at 12:04 am

Polly Brown is a British vocalist most famous for her 1974 hit 'Up in A Puff of Smoke', but first became famous in her native UK as lead singer for the group Pickettywitch.  Whatever became of her?

Picketywitch
1970 - That Same Old Feeling
1970 - (It's Like A) Sad Old Kinda Movie
1970 - Baby I Won't Let You Down
1971 - Waldo P. Emerson Jones

Polly Brown
1974 - Up in A Puff of Smoke

Subject: Re: Polly Brown and Pickettywitch

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/18/08 at 12:45 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_brown 

Polly Brown, or Polly Browne (born April 18, 1947, Birmingham, England) is a British singer.

Browne was the lead singer of the groups Pickettywitch, the name being suggested by her sister Pamela Browne, and Sweet Dreams. She released a solo album in 1975 entitled Special Delivery on GTO Records. "Same Old Feeling" was one of the hits that Pickettywitch enjoyed and post Pickettywitch a single from the album, "Up in a Puff of Smoke", was a hit in America, reaching #3 on the U.S. disco chart and #16 on the Billboard Hot 100. In the UK charts, it reached #43.

Sweet Dreams's one UK #10 hit "Honey Honey" is notable for being the first successful cover of an ABBA song. The tune hit #68 in the U.S.. Their appearance on Top Of The Pops attracted press comment for Browne's liberal use of dark make-up. In 1976, Browne took part in the A Song for Europe competition, becoming the first ever singer (in a multi-singer format contest) to sing two of the songs being considered for that year's Eurovision Song Contest. As a soloist, she performed "Do You Believe In Love At First Sight?" and teaming up with her singing partner Tony for Sweet Dreams, they performed "Love, Kiss And Run". Both songs failed to win the ticket to the Eurovision contest, but Dionne Warwick recorded her own version of "Do You Believe...", which became a minor hit in the USA. Polly Browne continues to write and record music including Blues.

After the original Pickettywich disbanded, a new band New Pickettywich was formed without Brown's involvement. Although they were not commercially successful, their singer Sheila Rossall found fame of a sort in 1980 when she was reported to be suffering from, she claimed, total allergy syndrome. Medical opinion largely denies the existence of such a condition, more likely to have been 'Multiple Allergy Syndrome' and living in a plastic bubble. Confusion between the two women (Rossall died in Blackpool in 2006) has dogged Brown to the present day.

Written By: Obbop on 10/28/08 at 10:32 pm

"That Same Old Feeling"

Nice basic pop tune.

I bought the 45 vinyl record but it was misplaced years ago.

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/28/08 at 10:40 pm

"That Same Old Feeling"

Nice basic pop tune.

I bought the 45 vinyl record but it was misplaced years ago.

If you liked that ... I would certainly recommend downloading '(It's like a sad old kinda movie)' ... and 'Baby I won't let you down' ... right up there with THAT song .. IMHO

Check for new replies or respond here...