inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alone Again (Naturally)

Written By: Sweet Illest Baby on 10/18/08 at 9:31 am

This is one of my favorite songs from the 1970s. If you haven't heard it, it's a bit like Eric Carmen's "All By Myself", but a LITTLE less cheesy.

I think this song is basically about how much life sucks and how tragedy, at least for him is inevitable and he feels all alone.

Subject: Re: Alone Again (Naturally)

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/18/08 at 1:34 pm

This is one of my favorite songs from the 1970s. If you haven't heard it, it's a bit like Eric Carmen's "All By Myself", but a LITTLE less cheesy.

I think this song is basically about how much life sucks and how tragedy, at least for him is inevitable and he feels all alone.

I love this song, my Mom took me to see Gilbert O' Sullivan in 1970 or 71
here ya go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8

heres another one I loved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKInjg66fY

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/19/08 at 2:40 pm

A favorite of mine from early '72.  I was an awkward Jr. High kid, had moved recently, and feeling isolated.  :(  It spoke to me a lot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/08 at 12:40 am

Nothing cheesy about Eric Carmen's "All By Myself", it is all Rachmaninov!

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/21/08 at 5:15 am

Nothing cheesy about Eric Carmen's "All By Myself", it is all Rachmaninov!

I agree Phil I also love that song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/08 at 5:51 am

I agree Phil I also love that song.
The album version of All By Myself by Eric Carmen is far superior to his single version.

Written By: Paul on 10/21/08 at 7:00 am

Extremely clever how Gilbert managed to tackle rejection, the contemplation of suicide and the questioning of God's existence and still managed to get it played on the radio!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/08 at 7:43 am

Extremely clever how Gilbert managed to tackle rejection, the contemplation of suicide and the questioning of God's existence and still managed to get it played on the radio!
Gilbert O'Sullivan has denied that this song is autobiographical or about the death of his father when he was 11. O'Sullivan said: "Everyone wants to know if it's an autobiographical song, based on my father's early death. Well, the fact of the matter is, I didn't know my father very well, and he wasn't a good father anyway. He didn't treat my mother very well."

Check for new replies or respond here...