inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Forgotten candy, foods, drinks, whatever

Written By: seeburg220 on 10/19/08 at 4:16 pm

Do they still even make these???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb3jAtSzSrs

Subject: Re: Forgotten candy, foods, drinks, whatever

Written By: Dagwood on 10/19/08 at 4:47 pm

I don't know, but I loved those. 

Written By: seeburg220 on 10/19/08 at 5:51 pm

Shakey's pizza.  I loved that place as a kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz2AW_0EScg&feature=related

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/19/08 at 10:07 pm

Tootsie pop drops

http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/item/tootsie_pop_drops/

Apparently they've been recently reissued in boxes, but I used to buy them in a roll in the 70's.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 10/20/08 at 6:30 am

We had a Shakey's Pizza in my town when I was a kid. It was the predecessor of Chucky Cheezes, only less commercialized.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/20/08 at 12:44 pm

Tootsie pop drops

http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/item/tootsie_pop_drops/

Apparently they've been recently reissued in boxes, but I used to buy them in a roll in the 70's.
I found the tootsie pop drops in our "snack box" at school, let me tell you there are some classic's in there... I was afraid the tootsie pop drops were orignals....I did not try them

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/21/08 at 5:19 am

Kool Pops, those sugar water things you put in the freezer to make them hard. I know they still sell these but have not seen Kool Pops (the original )in years. I saw a commercial for them on Retro T.V. ( they show old commercials betwen shows), and was reminded.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/21/08 at 9:34 pm

Any body remember Slush Mugs, they were a cheap plastic outer mug (red or blue I remember), that held removable inner mug liners that you froze in the freezer.  When you pored your pop in them and let it sit, it would slush all up around the edges.  I think my mom got our set from K-mart, but I have not seen them available since I was so little.  Any one :( :( :(

Written By: iquestion on 10/22/08 at 1:59 am

I wonder?? Do they still make CHOCKS Vitamins..that used to be a popular commercialor product in the sixties..Am I correct in remembering the tag- They're CHOCKS full of fun?

Written By: Ace on 10/23/08 at 6:25 pm

I wonder?? Do they still make CHOCKS Vitamins..that used to be a popular commercialor product in the sixties..Am I correct in remembering the tag- They're CHOCKS full of fun?

I didn't remember the vitamins, until I saw the bottle they came in on this commercial.  I vaguely remember chugging Chocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUL4FbwdS3g

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/26/08 at 4:30 pm

Big Mouth Suckers.  Giant Jaw Breakers on a stick with gum in the center.  I remember it would take me a week to get through all the layers of one. My mouth would be sooooo sore, and they were so large they actually got stuck in my jaws till I got them down to size.  Loved those things, a big bang for your dime!

Written By: Obbop on 10/28/08 at 10:08 pm

Shakeys!!!!!

Modesto, CA had one at the north end of McHenry Ave... the main cruising strip.

Good pizza!!!!

An actual sit-down and munch there joint unlike so many of today's to-go only places.

They showed old-fashioned movies and it had wooden benches and tables and it was kept semi-dark.

It closed down years ago.

Was surprised to see one outside the Navy base in Olongapo, Philippines in 1975.

Groovy!!!

Written By: slotscott on 10/30/08 at 1:54 am

Shakeys was the bomb!.....Follow it with Ferrels Ice Cream Parlor and you had a perfect day!!!

Shakeys!!!!!

Modesto, CA had one at the north end of McHenry Ave... the main cruising strip.

Good pizza!!!!

An actual sit-down and munch there joint unlike so many of today's to-go only places.

They showed old-fashioned movies and it had wooden benches and tables and it was kept semi-dark.

It closed down years ago.

Was surprised to see one outside the Navy base in Olongapo, Philippines in 1975.

Groovy!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/08 at 9:38 pm

Freshen-Up gum.

My big sister and her friend used to call it "cum gum." 

I didn't get the joke 'till later!
:-[

Written By: Davester on 10/31/08 at 11:54 pm

I remember Fun Dip, don't know if that's around anymore...

Funny Faces drink mix, like Kool Aid...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/pac63.jpg

I had the mailaway plastic mug.  "With It" Watermelon...

Heh...with it... :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/08 at 12:44 pm

Food sticks.

http://davidszondy.com/future/Living/space_food.gif

Cat

Written By: Capt Quirk on 11/01/08 at 11:39 pm

My wife had a conference being held at the Orlando Science Museum, so I told her to go through the gift shop when she had a minute and get me some of the Astronaut Freeze Dried ice Cream. I didn't know they made an Ice Cream sandwich too :)

Written By: karen on 11/03/08 at 8:49 am

I remember Fun Dip, don't know if that's around anymore...

I think that was what the bright blue sugarey powder my daughter was eating the other day was called.

Written By: mikey on 11/07/08 at 12:11 am

Shakeys was the bomb!.....Follow it with Ferrels Ice Cream Parlor and you had a perfect day!!!

oh yeah..farrells...remember when someone had a birthday, they would embarrass you with a loud siren and banging on drums..with a bell...also they sold soda water for 2cents..i bought one cuz thats all the money i had that day..it tasted nasty!! ;D

Written By: Lindee on 11/08/08 at 7:10 pm

Remember the slogan "Pop a Chocks". George Carlin talked about it in one of this stand up acts from the 70s.

Written By: Davester on 11/09/08 at 1:57 am

I think that was what the bright blue sugarey powder my daughter was eating the other day was called.

I just saw Fun Dip at a store here in town.  Right next to the candy cigarettes!  I couldn't believe my eyes, there are still bubblegum ciggys!  With the hyper-protective parents these days I was shocked to see them.  Teaching little Johnny some bad habits...

Written By: karen on 11/09/08 at 6:22 pm

I just saw Fun Dip at a store here in town.  Right next to the candy cigarettes!  I couldn't believe my eyes, there are still bubblegum ciggys!  With the hyper-protective parents these days I was shocked to see them.  Teaching little Johnny some bad habits...

Candy cigarettes?  Not seen them in years!

Written By: Capt Quirk on 11/09/08 at 6:50 pm

They're right next to the Bubble Gum cigars... :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/08 at 1:59 am

I remember the ones made out of hardened confectioner's sugar (I think that's what it was), but they didn't look anything like cigarettes.  Well, they looked a bit like the funny little ones my dad and my aunt used to pass back and forth...
:D

Written By: SAM on 02/07/09 at 5:56 pm

Any body remember Slush Mugs, they were a cheap plastic outer mug (red or blue I remember), that held removable inner mug liners that you froze in the freezer.  When you pored your pop in them and let it sit, it would slush all up around the edges.  I think my mom got our set from K-mart, but I have not seen them available since I was so little.  Any one :( :( :(

they are still available  http://glacierware.com/slushmug.htm

http://www.thingsyouneverknew.com/product/7708.do?code=googlejs&WT.srch=1&gclid=COu64ZbIy5gCFQsMGgodLWkczw

Written By: frank on 02/08/09 at 6:34 pm

They still make Fun-dip, I saw it somewhere in the last year or so, at a dollar store.

Wish I could find "black cat" bubble gum tho.
And Wig Wig chocolate bars

Check for new replies or respond here...