inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Orca 1977

Written By: Zeb on 11/06/08 at 1:09 pm

As you all well know Jaws ushered in a new era in blockbuster animal disaster movies. Orca just moved Jaws north to a colder climate.  The plot is about a fisherman who kills a whale's female and calf; so the whale vows vengeance.  Wow! Bet you didn't see that coming! The fisherman has his friends terrorized by this whale so much so that they end up following Orca all the way to the Arctic. As far as I am concerned the whales gave the best performance of the entire cast :) This is just one of those bad suspense movies you watch for a good laugh. Has anyone else seen it?

Subject: Re: Orca 1977

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/06/08 at 5:47 pm

As you all well know Jaws ushered in a new era in blockbuster animal disaster movies. Orca just moved Jaws north to a colder climate.  The plot is about a fisherman who kills a whale's female and calf; so the whale vows vengeance.  Wow! Bet you didn't see that coming! The fisherman has his friends terrorized by this whale so much so that they end up following Orca all the way to the Arctic. As far as I am concerned the whales gave the best performance of the entire cast :) This is just one of those bad suspense movies you watch for a good laugh. Has anyone else seen it?

Oh yeah I saw it. I remember Richard Harris being in it and I think Orca ate Bo Derrick?

Written By: Tia on 11/06/08 at 6:27 pm

i remember when it came out! i think it was PG but my parents wouldn't let me watch it anyway. (i was eight, i think?) other notable jaws knockoffs include "piranha", which was directed by joe dante (he went on to direct the goonies, or, um, that other one, where they couldn't get wet or stay up after midnight), and of course, devil fish, which they did an mst3k version of...

http://www.splicegirl.com/titles/911devilfish.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/08 at 7:31 pm

i remember when it came out! i think it was PG but my parents wouldn't let me watch it anyway. (i was eight, i think?) other notable jaws knockoffs include "piranha", which was directed by joe dante (he went on to direct the goonies, or, um, that other one, where they couldn't get wet or stay up after midnight), and of course, devil fish, which they did an mst3k version of...

http://www.splicegirl.com/titles/911devilfish.jpg

Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) was directed by James Cameron  and in my opinion it was a far better film than Titanic.

Written By: Zeb on 11/06/08 at 8:58 pm

Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) was directed by James Cameron  and in my opinion it was a far better film than Titanic.

;D ;D

Written By: gibbo on 11/07/08 at 4:28 am

I saw Orca when it came out too. I didn't enjoy it anywhere as much as Jaws. I never watched it again......

Written By: Banks on 11/08/08 at 11:19 pm

I remember seeing this movie on TV when I was little...I may have been around 7 or 8 (so that wouldve been about 1979/1980). As a kid I loved it, though it frightened me a fair bit, and I remember finding the female whale giving birth on deck really disturbing.

About ten or eleven years ago I found a copy on VHS and bought it...I watched it and realised why this is mostly forgotten. I mean, its not awful, but its just not great. It was produced by Dino DeLaurentis and was made after he produced King Kong (1976). I once saw on a documentary that DeLaurentis once suggested a King Kong Vs Orca The Killer Whale movie...But I am hoping he was using a bit of tongue in cheek on that one. After Orca he went on to produce Flash Gordon, which I really enjoyed as a kid, and still enjoy even now.

AN

Written By: midnite on 11/11/08 at 7:51 pm

I remember seeing this movie on TV when I was little...I may have been around 7 or 8 (so that wouldve been about 1979/1980). As a kid I loved it, though it frightened me a fair bit, and I remember finding the female whale giving birth on deck really disturbing.

About ten or eleven years ago I found a copy on VHS and bought it...I watched it and realised why this is mostly forgotten. I mean, its not awful, but its just not great. It was produced by Dino DeLaurentis and was made after he produced King Kong (1976). I once saw on a documentary that DeLaurentis once suggested a King Kong Vs Orca The Killer Whale movie...But I am hoping he was using a bit of tongue in cheek on that one. After Orca he went on to produce Flash Gordon, which I really enjoyed as a kid, and still enjoy even now.

AN

I also saw Orca as a kid and thought it was a little scary the way the Killer Whale stalked Richard Harris.  I have not seen the movie since.  I recently watched Flash Gordon and quickly realized how campy the movie is.  However, Ming's daughter was so hot!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/08 at 4:52 pm

I saw Orca when it came out-I think that was the last time I saw it so I can't remember anything about it-except the fact that I went to see it.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 11/13/08 at 3:56 am

I also saw Orca as a kid and thought it was a little scary the way the Killer Whale stalked Richard Harris.   I have not seen the movie since.  I recently watched Flash Gordon and quickly realized how campy the movie is.  However, Ming's daughter was so hot!

I saw Flash Gordon AND Flesh Gordon....The latter being hilarious!  ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/14/08 at 5:13 pm

I saw and trying to forget....

Orca.

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/08 at 5:23 pm

Back in 1977 I was warned not to see it.

Check for new replies or respond here...