inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Barry Lyndon

Written By: Zeb on 11/06/08 at 1:49 pm

This was a film directed by the legendary Stanley Kubrick.  Barry Lyndon tells the story of a man who was born into poverty in 18th century Ireland and his rise from rags to riches and back to rags again.  What makes this movie so awesome is that, thanks to brilliant costume, makeup and filming locations, the viewer really experiences life and war from the viewpoints of the aristocracy and poor villagers of 18th century Europe. Kubrick and David Lean are you go to guys for period piece epics that not only give you an enthralling, brilliantly performed, story but a trip back in time as well.

Subject: Re: Barry Lyndon

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/06/08 at 4:45 pm

Not necessarily brilliantly performed, but then again, it's a Kubrick film. I enjoyed it more for its construction than anything else.

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/08 at 7:28 pm

The film was alright but Kubrick's done better.

One of the things I did like about the film is the way Kubrick composed his scenes.  Many of the scenes were set up to recreate famous works of fine art from that period.

Written By: gibbo on 11/07/08 at 4:19 am

The film was alright but Kubrick's done better.

One of the things I did like about the film is the way Kubrick composed his scenes.  Many of the scenes were set up to recreate famous works of fine art from that period.

I saw it when it came out in the 70's .....enjoyed it from what I remember of it (but I liked Marisa Berensen)  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/08 at 5:15 am

A film I can watch again and again, absolute brilliance!

Written By: Hoagies With Myles on 12/02/08 at 11:11 am

This is one movie that I put off watching again and again because it was a movie I was sure I wouldn't like. It was the last Kubrick movie I hadn't seen. I decided to watch it to say that I did and I absolutely loved it! It was so beautifully shot, the score was amazing and I really thought Ryan O'Neal did a fantastic job. It's set in the 18th century but so much of the story is really timeless.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/08 at 11:22 am

The music (as typical for Kubrick) captured the true sense of the film.

Check for new replies or respond here...