inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's Happening

Written By: Entouch on 11/21/08 at 8:51 pm

What's Happening I think only lasted for 3 seasons but I still think the show was entertaining. The show's writers steered away from any controversial storylines and remained a light-hearted comedy. The characters were very rememorable Raj, (did he ever had lenses in his glasses?) Dee the little sister from hell  who had a smart mouth but still a bit precocious for her age, ReRun a great dancer and loved to eat Shirley the worst diner waitress there ever was (if she was real she wouldnt be tipped and most likely fired in a day) Dwayne 'hey hey hey' cute I think he became the ladies man on the show and of course Mrs. Thomas.

I think the show jumped the shark when they graduated from high school and gotten their own apartment. Their next door neighbor was police detective and his son. Mrs Thomas (Mabel King) was no longer on the show at this time. Anyone have some favorite episodes to post feel free. Mine is when the Doobie Brothers appeared on the show.

Subject: Re: What's Happening

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/08 at 9:51 pm

What's Happening did run only 3 seasons (1975-1979), though technically it ran for 6 as the sequel series What's Happening Now ran from 1985-1988

I've never seen an ep of the original, but I've seen a few oif What's Happening Now.  Don't remember much as it's a show not often syndicated in reruns on channels I get.  I often ponder about getting the DVD sets

Written By: robby76 on 11/21/08 at 9:54 pm

I love What's Happening! I have the first 2 seasons on dvd and they're always in heavy rotation. Dee was just fantastic and so was Shirley. My fave episodes are "Saturday's Hero" from season 1 - only cos I remember laughing throughout - and "It's All In Your Head" from Season 2.

I never bought season 3 as I don't remember it all that well and from what fans say, it really was dire.

My only niggles... Rerun was a little annoying and Mama's acting was a bit off (and yes I know she was an accomplished stage actress).

http://www.bet.com/Assets/BET/Published/image/jpeg/1394d3f0-9c88-2990-b5ff-862e2a42a1b4-tvmom_mabelthomas.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/22/08 at 11:34 am

I watched it on a regular basis back in the day - it was a fun sitcom!  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/22/08 at 12:06 pm

I used to like this show and the theme song.

Wasn't there one where Rerun joins that cult and has to pray to a head of lettuce?  ;D

Written By: ninny on 11/22/08 at 2:56 pm

I watched it on a regular basis back in the day - it was a fun sitcom!   :)

Ditto :)

Written By: Lindee on 11/22/08 at 4:51 pm

Being a Doobie Brothers fan, I also loved that episode.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/22/08 at 7:21 pm

I thought "What's Happening" was a fun show; I'll have to get the DVD's sometime. TV Land ran episodes of this show for a while; not sure whether it's still on that network.  I also remember watching some episodes of "What's Happening Now" in the 80's.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 2:22 am

I dug What's Happening and to this day, I still greet friends with a "hey hey hey"  and nobody comments on that. I thought it would trigger someone's memory of the show but it hasn't yet.

Written By: robby76 on 12/06/08 at 3:27 am

I dug What's Happening and to this day, I still greet friends with a "hey hey hey"   and nobody comments on that. I thought it would trigger someone's memory of the show but it hasn't yet.

Maybe wearing one of these would help.  :)

http://www.sacredfeather.com/redberet.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 3:37 am

Maybe wearing one of these would help.  :)

http://www.sacredfeather.com/redberet.gif
;D  that's a heck of a good idea. now If i could dance like Re Run they'd pick up the hint for sure

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/10/08 at 1:38 pm

The Doobie Brothers. I remember Raj calling to try to get tickets and saying, "Which Doobie you be". I STILL say that all the time every time I even HEAR someone talk about either the Doobie Brothers and/or What's Happening. The funny thing is, our Lt. Gov.'s name is Brian Dubie and of course, every time I hear someone say his name (or read it in the paper), I think "Which Doobie you be."  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...