inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HBO animated shorts from the late 70's/early 80's

Written By: Brett on 11/22/08 at 8:50 am

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on this site so please excuse me if I am not doing this completely right.  I have a question that has been driving me CRAZY for years!!!!  We all know about the little "intermissions" and "short takes" from HBO back then...I remember a short cartoon between movies that, at the time, freaked me out a little when I was younger.  Anyhow, it was about this little kid who is in a room and there is a door on the other side.  Every time he tries to leave, the doorknob sparkles at him...like it's teasing him...and then the kid tries to open it but he can't.  So then the kid grows into a teenager, the knob sparkles again, and then the kid starts getting really mad and tries to yank and pull the door open, but it remains shut.  Finally, he grows into an old man and is now going insane, screaming and beating on the door but it STILL won't open.  He eventually falls over and dies of either a heart attack or old age...and right when he takes his last breath, the door opens on it's own and an ironing board flops out.  Anyone remember that?  What's the name of it and where can I find it...HEEEEELP!!!!!!!

Subject: Re: HBO animated shorts from the late 70's/early 80's

Written By: William on 03/04/12 at 8:11 pm

Brett...I also have been TOTALLY PLAGUED with attempting to find out about this short animation film AND its name. OMG!!! Will someone please respond?!?!?! William

Written By: William on 03/04/12 at 8:17 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on this site so please excuse me if I am not doing this completely right.  I have a question that has been driving me CRAZY for years!!!!  We all know about the little "intermissions" and "short takes" from HBO back then...I remember a short cartoon between movies that, at the time, freaked me out a little when I was younger.  Anyhow, it was about this little kid who is in a room and there is a door on the other side.  Every time he tries to leave, the doorknob sparkles at him...like it's teasing him...and then the kid tries to open it but he can't.  So then the kid grows into a teenager, the knob sparkles again, and then the kid starts getting really mad and tries to yank and pull the door open, but it remains shut.  Finally, he grows into an old man and is now going insane, screaming and beating on the door but it STILL won't open.  He eventually falls over and dies of either a heart attack or old age...and right when he takes his last breath, the door opens on it's own and an ironing board flops out.  Anyone remember that?  What's the name of it and where can I find it...HEEEEELP!!!!!!!

Brett...I also have been TOTALLY PLAGUED with attempting to find out about this short animation film AND its name. OMG!!! Will someone please respond?!?!?! William
In addition, I saw this short at the Roxie Theatre in S.F. during an International Film Festival for Animated Short Films...I would LOVE to have access to this film or replica thereabouts...Again, William

Written By: mike on 07/19/12 at 4:28 pm

The name of the film is Room and Board by Randy Cartwright. This short is on You Tube.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/20/12 at 9:07 pm

The name of the film is Room and Board by Randy Cartwright. This short is on You Tube.

Thanks for finding this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d4AojZ4KeY

- Room and Board isn't just on YouTube, it appwars to have been upped by Randy Cartwright himself; it was his student film project in 1974 at UCLA.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/12 at 12:57 pm

I first saw this about 1977 or '78 at an animation festival. (Well, it was like watching one movie that had several animated shorts on it). This was one that stuck with me along with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpBkc2jK-6w

Cat

Written By: Jmarcguy on 12/17/14 at 10:48 am

I'm dying trying to remember a cartoon that ran on HBO in the early 80's. It was a short that ran a few times rather than a series. I just remember it featured two characters that were superheroes. I think they were animals. Maybe one was a cat that wore a mask. It "something & Sam". Maybe "Slim".  The only think I remember is one character looking at the other & saying "what are you all pissed off for?"  Hearing that coming from a cartoon always made me laugh as a kid.

I know this is ridiculously vague. Any help is appreciated.

Check for new replies or respond here...