inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rolling Stones in the 70's?

Written By: Xavier Renegade Angel on 12/28/08 at 2:11 pm

I've been going through my Rolling Stones phase ever since I heard 'Brown Sugar' on the radio the other day. I went straight to my guitar and taught myself how to play, and I've been listening to that and 'Paint it Black' for days now. I'm familiar with their 60's stuff, because that's when they were at the peak of their popularity and those songs are constantlly playing on my classic rock station, but I'd like to know some of their better 70's stuff. And PLEASE don't tell me 'Miss You'...please.

Subject: Re: Rolling Stones in the 70's?

Written By: whistledog on 12/28/08 at 10:04 pm

'Miss You' was a Gem.  Mick Jagger wasn't a fan of disco, so naturally he did a disco song.  If I am not mistaken, it remains their greatest hit of the 70s

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/08 at 5:37 am

I've been going through my Rolling Stones phase ever since I heard 'Brown Sugar' on the radio the other day. I went straight to my guitar and taught myself how to play, and I've been listening to that and 'Paint it Black' for days now. I'm familiar with their 60's stuff, because that's when they were at the peak of their popularity and those songs are constantlly playing on my classic rock station, but I'd like to know some of their better 70's stuff. And PLEASE don't tell me 'Miss You'...please.

Don't stop at the seventies, go to some of the 60s stuff, too.

Some of my favorites

The Last Time

Sitting on a Fence

Under My Thumb

Paint It Black

Yesterdays Papers

19th Nervous Breakdown

Factory Girl

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/29/08 at 7:50 am

"Heartbreaker"!  It's one of my favorites.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/29/08 at 11:37 am

I've never been a big fan of The Rolling Stones, but I do like a few of their songs...

'Brown Sugar' is a pretty good one...and I don't mind 'Miss You'...but my favorite will always be 'Honky Tonk Women', which hit #1 in 1969... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/29/08 at 11:45 am

I am a big fan whatever the decade.

Favs for the 70s, Brown Sugar, Angie, Fool To Cry & It's Only Rock And Roll...

I like them all!!!!!!

Written By: Paul on 12/29/08 at 11:45 am

...but I'd like to know some of their better 70's stuff.

Buy 'Sticky Fingers', 'Exile On Main Street', then no more...it was a loooong, sloooow, painful decline into mediocrity after that!  :-\\

(If you must, then one of their 70s 'hits' compilations is okay...just steer clear of the mid-70s albums onwards!  :P)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/30/08 at 9:31 am

Buy 'Sticky Fingers', 'Exile On Main Street', then no more...

The latter 70's studio albums of note are Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock & Roll, Black and Blue, and Some Girls.

I'd argue that Some Girls is a must (I recall it came out swirling with controversy - as in many Stones' releases).  Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll each might be worthwhile, even if they don't live up to their stellar early 70's predecessors.  From what I read Black and Blue may be a notch down from the rest.

The biggest hits from: Goats Head Soup - Angie, (Doo Doo Doo Doo) Heartbreaker; It's Only Rock and Roll - It's Only Rock and Roll, Ain't Too Proud To Beg; Black and Blue - Fool To Cry; and Some Girls - Miss You, Shattered, Beast Of Burden.  Of course there are excellent album cuts on all of these, way too many to mention.

Even if the mid-late 70's Stones don't quite equal the 60's Stones, they're definitely worth a long listen!  :)

Written By: star80 on 01/24/09 at 10:36 am

These are my choices:

1971 Sticky Fingers ~ Wld Horses

1972 Exile On Main Street ~ Tumbling Dice

1973 Goat Head's Soup ~ Angie; Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

1974 It's Only Rock 'N Roll ~ Ain't Too Proud To Beg; It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)

1976 Black And Blue ~ Fool To Cry

1978 Some Girls ~ Beast Of Burden; Shattered; Before They Make Me Run

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/24/09 at 8:49 pm

How about "Angie"? Good song from '73 or '74. It is alledged the song was written about David Bowie's wife at the the time named Angie.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/25/09 at 4:52 am

Between the Buttons was a great early Stones album

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/09 at 1:45 pm

My favorite:

Angie.

Cat

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/26/09 at 7:20 pm

Great minds think alike.

Check for new replies or respond here...