inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the Bee Gees the biggest artist of the 70's?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/14/09 at 9:02 am

A similar question was posted on the 80's board, but the 70's is a bit tougher as it was a much more diverse decade musically. Based on total number one hits and popularity at the time, it would seem that in the actual 1970s, the Bee Gees were the "artist of the decade", even knocking in a few early decade hits in addition to their disco stuff. Elton John struggled in the late 70's and Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd tended to get more sales in later decades when Classic Rock radio became popular.

Subject: Re: Were the Bee Gees the biggest artist of the 70's?

Written By: Mushroom on 01/16/09 at 10:36 pm

A similar question was posted on the 80's board, but the 70's is a bit tougher as it was a much more diverse decade musically. Based on total number one hits and popularity at the time, it would seem that in the actual 1970s, the Bee Gees were the "artist of the decade", even knocking in a few early decade hits in addition to their disco stuff. Elton John struggled in the late 70's and Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd tended to get more sales in later decades when Classic Rock radio became popular.

Well, this really is a hard question to answer.

The period from 1960-1989 was very diverse, with a great number of musical styles emerging and fading out.

"Biggest Hit" really is hard to define, since there were so many different genre (and still are).

The Bee Gees were very powerfull in the later half of the decade, but that is mostly because of one soundtrack.  Disco had been around for a while before Saturday Night Fever, and lasted for several years afterwards.  So trying to define an entire decade on one style is really not proper.

If I had to define one group, it would probably be The Eagles.  Their populaity lasted all through the decade, from the Harder rock of the beginning of the decade, through the "Country Sound" phase of the middle, to the disco style sound at the end of the decade.

However, they were not the only band to do so.  As fads come and go, a lot of groups and individuals jump on the "Fad Bandwagons".  Even The Rolling Stones and Michael Jackson released Disco records.

And don't forget, that the Bee Gees had a very different sound prior to SNF.  Just listen to "New York Mining Disaster 1941", "I've Got A Message", "Lonely Days", and "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart".  Those were all hits long before SNF, and other then their perfect harmony are very different then their disco hits.

In fact, one of my favorite songs of all time was from their last album, "This Is Where I Came In".  I always thought it was a shame it did not get the air time it deserved.  Although as good as they were, they were never able to outlive their "infamy" of their Disco era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B97Xftr2LPc

Written By: Lisa67 on 01/23/09 at 10:13 am

He's forgotten by many now,and it isn't trendy to say so,but I think John Denver was possibly the biggest artist of the seventies.In terms of sheer exposure,i recall you couldn't turn on a tv or radio or open a magazine without seeing his face or music.Disco and punk killed his career,but up to about 1977,the guy was EVERYWHERE.He outsold Elton and McCartney and in 1975 sold the most records of anybody in the world.Denver IS the seventies,in my memory,anyway.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/09 at 11:56 pm

Hard to quantify "biggest."  They certainly were ubiquitous in the seventies.  The Bee Gees have sold over 200 million records, though I don't know what the total sales were by the end of the decade.  They were also big enough to ride the crest of the Disco wave without craashing at the same time as Disco. 

Mushroom mentioned the Eagles, who were about as big in the '70s and, like the Bee Gees, continue to sell out live even though their singles chart action has dwindled. 

Linda Ronstadt was an artist who was absolutely phenomenal in the seventies.  It's hard to remember now because her star faded fast in the eighties.

Written By: Cautious Lip on 01/26/09 at 7:37 pm

Hard to quantify "biggest."  They certainly were ubiquitous in the seventies.  The Bee Gees have sold over 200 million records, though I don't know what the total sales were by the end of the decade.  They were also big enough to ride the crest of the Disco wave without craashing at the same time as Disco. 

Mushroom mentioned the Eagles, who were about as big in the '70s and, like the Bee Gees, continue to sell out live even though their singles chart action has dwindled. 

Linda Ronstadt was an artist who was absolutely phenomenal in the seventies.  It's hard to remember now because her star faded fast in the eighties.

She did try a comeback with "How Do I make You" in the early 80's which I love.

Written By: Susan Sedia on 01/29/09 at 12:35 am

Well I think I could agree with the Bee Gees being the biggest. I mean there are some others I would put up tthere, Such as Elton John and Linda Rontadt. But the Bee Gees had this big impact when SNF came out and it just changed everything, alomost instantly for the rest of the decade. So, that's why I might put them first. Incidentally. At the time I wasn't crazy about most Disco and later became a follower of the "Disco Sucks" movement.:)
Babu

Written By: Frank on 02/10/09 at 10:31 pm

I think you could make a case for Stevie Wonder, Elton John, The Bee Gees, Chicago, Paul Mccartney as biggest artists of the 70's.

No one ruled the late 70's  (1975 to 1979 like the bee gees (From their album "Main Course" in 1975 to 1979 "Spirits having flown", they had many many huge hits

The Whole decade? I'd have to say Elton John was the top artist.

Check for new replies or respond here...