inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What " 70's memorabilia" do you still have from the 70's?

Written By: Frank on 02/10/09 at 11:03 pm

I have NHL stars Colgate heads (yup the toothpaste)
My Baseball and hockey card collection
Stickers from "Wacky packages" bubble gum
A wrapper from a "Reggie" candy bar
Autographs from MLB & NHL players.
Some "Hot wheel" cars. Some board games.

Wish I kept more stuff..but my wife would probably have dumped it by now  :(

Subject: Re: What " 70's memorabilia" do you still have from the 70's?

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/11/09 at 8:01 am

I have a few memories, but that's about it  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/09 at 4:58 pm

I have my dolls (barbie like dolls)

Charlies Angels
Mork
Fonzie
Potsie
Donny and Marie
Bionic Woman

Written By: karen on 02/11/09 at 6:19 pm

I think some toys are still at my parents house.  Probably my Barbie (complete with did-it-myself haircut) and her camper van.  My brother's Evil Kneivel.  And maybe some board games.

Written By: Frank on 03/03/09 at 1:10 am

My friend use to have the Barbie van too. She gave me a "Ken" doll.
I used to rip it's head off, fill it with water and squirt it at the girls.  ::)

Written By: karen on 03/03/09 at 11:15 am

I'm not sure Ken dolls were available in the 70s (in the UK).  Anyway my Barbies 'dated' Action Man!

Written By: snozberries on 03/03/09 at 2:47 pm

I'm not sure Ken dolls were available in the 70s (in the UK).  Anyway my Barbies 'dated' Action Man!

Barbie and ken were siblings anyway....so it was wrong that we were always making them date!  ;D

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/03/09 at 5:09 pm

Barbie and ken were siblings anyway....so it was wrong that we were always making them date!  ;D
Maybe they were from Arkansas?

Written By: snozberries on 03/03/09 at 5:38 pm

Maybe they were from Arkansas?

;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/03/09 at 5:43 pm

I have the Superstar Barbie and Malibu Skipper from the 70's.  They're not in great shape but not ready for the trash compactor yet.

Holly Hobbie board game

I also have some Shaun Cassidy LPs.

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/04/09 at 12:34 am

My parents still have the furniture I had as a kid in the 70's in their condo, still completely spotted with Wacky Packy (Packages) stickers that were so popular at the time.
http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/8th_series/kentuckyfriedfingers_small_smaller_images.jpg

Whats so ironic, is that my parents were SOOO pissed that I did that back in the day, and thought to teach me a lesson by leaving them that way as a "soon you'll be sick of it and want to remove it" lesson.

Thing is nowadays, those stickers, now permanently affixed to my old bedroom furniture are collecters items that can never be "collected" upon. Wacky Packies are damned rare and garner a good price in these days...the furniture is probably worth a heck of a lot more than it'd be without the "customization".  :D

Written By: Frank on 03/04/09 at 10:24 am

My parents still have the furniture I had as a kid in the 70's in their condo, still completely spotted with Wacky Packy (Packages) stickers that were so popular at the time.
http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/8th_series/kentuckyfriedfingers_small_smaller_images.jpg

Whats so ironic, is that my parents were SOOO pissed that I did that back in the day, and thought to teach me a lesson by leaving them that way as a "soon you'll be sick of it and want to remove it" lesson.

Thing is nowadays, those stickers, now permanently affixed to my old bedroom furniture are collecters items that can never be "collected" upon. Wacky Packies are damned rare and garner a good price in these days...the furniture is probably worth a heck of a lot more than it'd be without the "customization".  :D

I still have a box with all these "Wacky packages" stickers on it, some of the stickers partially torn due to the 30+ years that have gone by....sigh..

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/04/09 at 10:54 am

Yeah, I used to have those too, and I wish I still did. I also used to have all the Marvel Heroes stickers and cards.

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/04/09 at 7:41 pm

I still have cookware, utensils, and even vinyl records that my parents first bought in the 70's.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/04/09 at 8:38 pm

Unfortunately not a whole lot  :-\\

I do have all my vinyl - both albums and 45s.  I have a number of original record charts, which are quite cool.  I have my college freshman orientation book from '77 - it's fun to look at the illustrations of the students from back then and see how hippie they looked.  8)

That's about it.

Written By: Davester on 03/05/09 at 3:20 am

I still have my third grade progress report ('77-'78 year).  I have no reasonable explaination for why that piece of paper has followed me around for thirty years...

I do like what it reads in the comments section:    "Improving a little...could do better..."
                                                                          "Not working to capacity..."
                                                                          "Reading level 3/4 year below grade level..."
                                                                                           "Very little progress.."

*PROMOTED TO FOURTH GRADE*

Gotta love that..! ;D

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/05/09 at 6:35 am

Now that I think about it, I have an Apollo 11 Program/Guide Book, a Bicentennial Certificate from NASA for a Time Capsule, and maybe a few other things like that.

Written By: Frank on 03/05/09 at 7:46 pm

Now that I think about it, I have an Apollo 11 Program/Guide Book, a Bicentennial Certificate from NASA for a Time Capsule, and maybe a few other things like that.

The Apollo 11 progam might be worth something, depending on what you have. You might want to look into it.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/05/09 at 9:37 pm

The Apollo 11 progam might be worth something, depending on what you have. You might want to look into it.
How much you offering???

Written By: Frank on 03/06/09 at 12:00 am

How much you offering???

Well, If you'd throw in the BBQ, the dirt bikes, the Condo in Hawaii, it might grab my interest  ;)

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/06/09 at 6:50 am

Well, If you'd throw in the BBQ, the dirt bikes, the Condo in Hawaii, it might grab my interest  ;)
Well, if I had a BBQ, some dirtbikes, and a condo in Hawaii, you probably wouldn't be hearing from me at all.

Written By: Frank on 03/06/09 at 8:18 pm

Well, if I had a BBQ, some dirtbikes, and a condo in Hawaii, you probably wouldn't be hearing from me at all.

good point.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/08/09 at 7:20 pm

In the late 70s, I was only a mere toddler (1-2 years old), so I wouldn't remember the 70s like somebody who's in their late 30s/early 40s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/11/09 at 12:09 pm

In the late 70s, I was only a mere toddler (1-2 years old), so I wouldn't remember the 70s like somebody who's in their late 30s/early 40s.

Try being in your late 40s  :o  OOPS - did I just say that?  ;D

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/11/09 at 1:43 pm

I want to know who keeps letting all these damn kids in?

::)

Written By: snozberries on 03/11/09 at 2:20 pm

Try being in your late 40s  :o  OOPS - did I just say that?   ;D

;D  pretty soon you won't be able to remember the 70s so well either but not because you were a toddler at that time  ;D 

just kidding... I'm right behind you!

Written By: enchanteddove on 03/11/09 at 3:50 pm

Check this out....do any of you remember that out doors game called: Zimm Zamm?
It is a pole with a metal coil at the top of the pole. you stick the end of the pole in the ground. Attached to the coil is a long thin rope with a tennis ball on it. you wind the end of the rope on to the middle of the coil. One player hits the ball one way and the other player hits opposite.  Whoever gets ball/rope to either the top or bottom of that coil wins!!  It was a blast, my brother and I spent hours playing it!!

Well now that I have kids of my own and to get them off that damn x box  I searched and found one on ebay. It just arrived the other day and was warm enough they went out to try it.....once again a big hit for the kids!! It sure brought back a great childhood memory and now I could pass it on to my own kids!! And it helps you burn off the pounds to boot!

By the way...the one I bought is built just as good as the original by mattel.  This one is by Sportcraft

Written By: karen on 03/11/09 at 7:21 pm

It is a pole with a metal coil at the top of the pole. you stick the end of the pole in the ground. Attached to the coil is a long thin rope with a tennis ball on it. you wind the end of the rope on to the middle of the coil. One player hits the ball one way and the other player hits opposite.  Whoever gets ball/rope to either the top or bottom of that coil wins!!   It was a blast, my brother and I spent hours playing it!!

Well now that I have kids of my own and to get them off that damn x box  I searched and found one on ebay. It just arrived the other day and was warm enough they went out to try it.....once again a big hit for the kids!! It sure brought back a great childhood memory and now I could pass it on to my own kids!! And it helps you burn off the pounds to boot!

By the way...the one I bought is built just as good as the original by mattel.  This one is by Sportcraft

When I first joined inthe00s just about every other post in this section was people trying to buy Zim Zam.  I thought it was some other game (the name of which I don't now recall) because Zim Zam was/is called Swingball in the UK.

So what is the name of the game I thought might be called Zim Zam?  You had two long ropes that threaded through a plastic ball.  The ball started at one end and that player opened their arms wide to split the ropes apart.  This sent the ball flying down the ropes to the other end where the second player would try and fling the ball back down to the other end.  Make sense?

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/11/09 at 8:27 pm

It is a pole with a metal coil at the top of the pole. you stick the end of the pole in the ground. Attached to the coil is a long thin rope with a tennis ball on it. you wind the end of the rope on to the middle of the coil. One player hits the ball one way and the other player hits opposite.  Whoever gets ball/rope to either the top or bottom of that coil wins!!   It was a blast, my brother and I spent hours playing it!!

Hm, don't remember the name Zimm Zamm, but the game you described sure is. If I'm not correct, was Zimm Zamm a commercial home version of Tetherball?

We played tetherball ad infinitum at school, even in elementary school when most of us couldn't jump high enough to hit the ball, being a girl (taller, due to earlier growth) sure helped out.
Thats mostly why the boys refused to play with girls at the time... ;D

Written By: karen on 03/11/09 at 9:37 pm

Very similar to theerball, gumbypiz, but it was a tennis ball and you had plastic rackets to hit the ball back and forth

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NFZYR9CHL._AA280_.jpg

Written By: RetroExpert1971 on 03/14/09 at 5:13 pm

My home is practically a shrine to the period between the Disco Era and the fall of the Berlin Wall, though mostly the 80's, my 70's memorabilia includes:

The black-light poster with the panther on the branch in the jungle
Some 200-300 records (Including ever record ABBA ever made)
Maybe 100 7" singles
Tons of Matchbox toy-cars
A pair of beanbag chairs
A non-digital clock radio
Both seasons of "Space 1999" (On DVD)
40-50 movies (On video)

Written By: whistledog on 03/14/09 at 5:23 pm

I too was a mere toddler, but I still have alot of the Hot Wheels cars (circa 1978) that my folks got for me. 

I also still have the 'Fisher Price Roly Poly Chime Ball' and 'Fisher Price Riding Horse' that I had when I was little

Written By: Michael C. on 03/15/09 at 9:33 am

I have a lot of framed original Movie Posters {in storage,at the moment}
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Dirty Harry/Magnum Force double feature
Shaft
Coffy
American Grafitti
Serpico

Check for new replies or respond here...