inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Worst TV show of the 1970's

Written By: Frank on 02/15/09 at 6:00 pm

One show I couldn't stand was "What's happening"
Another  one I could not digest was "Phyllis"

What was the worst TV show for you in the 70's?

Subject: Re: The Worst TV show of the 1970's

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 6:10 pm

I hated Good Times and Sanford and Son.

Written By: Frank on 02/15/09 at 6:13 pm

I hated Good Times and Sanford and Son.

Yeh, didn't like Sanford and son either, except the Theme. song

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 6:16 pm

Yeh, didn't like Sanford and son either, except the Theme. song

I'll give you that... actually I liked both theme songs!

I hated All in the Family but then again I was a kid- I totally appreciate it now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/09 at 6:28 pm

I couldn't stand Phillis either. In fact, I didn't like Cloris Leachman because of that show but over the years I have come to appreciate the fact that she is an OUTSTANDING character actress (Frau Blücher *neigh, neigh* in Young Frankenstein & Madame Defarge in History of the World Part 1 "We are so poor, we do not even have a language! Just this stupid accent!" )

I never cared for All in the Family as a kid either. Can't say that I like it now-but at least I "get it".

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 6:32 pm

I couldn't stand Phillis either. In fact, I didn't like Cloris Leachman because of that show but over the years I have come to appreciate the fact that she is an OUTSTANDING character actress (Frau Blücher *neigh, neigh* in Young Frankenstein & Madame Defarge in History of the World Part 1 "We are so poor, we do not even have a language! Just this stupid accent!" )

I never cared for All in the Family as a kid either. Can't say that I like it now-but at least I "get it".

Cat

Yeah I love Phyllis, the character on MTM, but not when she spun off...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/15/09 at 7:19 pm

Yeah I love Phyllis, the character on MTM, but not when she spun off...

When I wrote "Phillis", I KNEW it didn't look right. Ok, so I misspelled. it.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 7:23 pm

When I wrote "Phillis", I KNEW it didn't look right. Ok, so I misspelled. it.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

It's all good!

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/15/09 at 8:04 pm

I'll give you that... actually I liked both theme songs!

I hated All in the Family but then again I was a kid- I totally appreciate it now.

I didn't like "All In the Family" when I was a kid...my dad used to watch the reruns all the time when I wanted to watch cartoons!  ;D

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of the show now, but I like it a lot more now than I thought I would.

Written By: woops on 02/15/09 at 8:09 pm

"Waltons"  8-P

Written By: snozberries on 02/15/09 at 8:12 pm

I didn't like "All In the Family" when I was a kid...my dad used to watch the reruns all the time when I wanted to watch cartoons!  ;D

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of the show now, but I like it a lot more now than I thought I would.

I love the writing of it and I think they do really clever things with Archie... they rarely make him look sympathetic you know always illuminate how smart he isn't  ;D  but that's the way Carroll O'Connor wanted it... and you can totally love Archie no matter what stupid shyt he spouts because you know he has heart he just doesn't always use his head....

to anyone who isn't convinced about how powerful this show can be I always cite the episode where Archie learns Stephanie is Jewish...wonder if its on youtube!   nope...can't find it... its called "Stephanie's Conversation"

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/16/09 at 6:40 am

OK, now so far what have been listed here are shows that, while admitting you didn’t appreciate as a kid the first time around, were shows that were indeed very popular (but you personally didn’t like).
I’m not really seeing a listing of some the really BAD shows that were pushed off on us in the 1970’s.

How about these:
The Brady Bunch Hour – Awful unfunny variety show, the premise was the Brady’s were somehow “discovered”, & brought to Hollywood to perform a variety show (of course without the “real” Jan).

Holmes and Yoyo – Detective & his new cyborg/robot partner. The zenith of poor writing, acting & bad Nielsen ratings market research.  From the creators of Get Smart/directed by John Astin, (Gomez from The Addams Family). Even as an 8 yr old I knew this was bad…

Run Joe, Run – Saturday morning serial based on a good natured Vietnam era military dog who helped people in need, relentlessly chased by the big bad Army, falsely accused of attacking his Army Sargent master. No seriously, that was the plotline. Lassie meets the Fugitive, if you will.  ::)

Hello, Larry – McLean Stevenson’s infamous sitcom made after leaving M.A.S.H. It just wasn’t funny, though it had some talented people on it. Was linked to Diff’rent Strokes at its height of popularity as a tie-in, and STILL tanked.

Partridge Family, 2200 A.D. (AKA The Partridge Family In Outer Space) – Animated, weak, & very bad Partridge Family meets the Jetson’s idea.  Proof those TV executives were smoking something… :D

The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo – Actually I liked this show… as a live-action cartoon. Bad spin off of BJ & The Bear, which was made popular from “Convoy” & the CB craze of the mid ‘70’s. Spin offs, based on TV shows, based on cheesy pop culture trend movies are bound to be steamy piles of poo. Lobo didn’t disappoint. But hey, if we didn’t have Lobo as a model of ineptitude, we wouldn’t have had Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane, right?  ;)

Dusty's Trail –Believe it or not Sherwood Schwartz, famed producer of Gilligan’s Island thought he could recreate that same show, but this time having travelers separated from their wagontrian going to California in the mid-1800’s instead of being shipwrecked on a deserted island. Bob Denver playing the SAME role of a bumbling assistant to the wagon-train leader too, just too obvious a copy of G.I. for viewers to accept… :P

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/16/09 at 7:30 am

Wow Gumby, out of all the other posters, you were the one that had all the klinkers... even if I did like Run Joe, Run.  I liked Sanford and Son, All In The Family, but hated Phillis and Rhoda- a spin off and the spin off of a spin off. The only saving grace for Rhoda was the Doorman.

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/09 at 10:19 am

Hello, Larry – McLean Stevenson’s infamous sitcom made after leaving M.A.S.H. It just wasn’t funny, though it had some talented people on it. Was linked to Diff’rent Strokes at its height of popularity as a tie-in, and STILL tanked.

"Hello, Larry" was an important show because without it, there might not have been a "Frasier"

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/16/09 at 1:35 pm

"Hello, Larry" was an important show because without it, there might not have been a "Frasier"
And would would be so bad about that?

Written By: woops on 02/16/09 at 1:45 pm

Many bad cartoons...

"Scooby Doo" and all the clones (though "Josie & The Pussycats" is tolerable)
"Brady Kids"
"Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm"
"Yogi's Gang"
'70's version of "Tom & Jerry" where they're friends

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/16/09 at 1:57 pm

Are you nuts? Scooby Doo rocks! Even today, I love to watch the old ones. The new ones are garbage, but that isn't a problem for the 70's forum, is it?

Written By: Frank on 02/16/09 at 2:38 pm

Scooby doo, just about my fave cartoon back in the day.

I remember "Hello Larry" and "Holmes and Yoyo"...pretty bad comedy there. Another bad one was Hot-L baltimore

I always enjoyed All in the family, even as a 10-year-old. Probably coz my dad was a lot like Archie, so when I laughed at Archie, I was laughing at my dad..and feeling sorry for him.

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/16/09 at 7:48 pm

I love the writing of it and I think they do really clever things with Archie... they rarely make him look sympathetic you know always illuminate how smart he isn't  ;D  but that's the way Carroll O'Connor wanted it... and you can totally love Archie no matter what stupid shyt he spouts because you know he has heart he just doesn't always use his head....

to anyone who isn't convinced about how powerful this show can be I always cite the episode where Archie learns Stephanie is Jewish...wonder if its on youtube!   nope...can't find it... its called "Stephanie's Conversation"

I think the writing was terrific on that show too....and I think I may have seen that episode "Stephanie's Conversation" on TV Land or syndication some years ago. Has that particular season been released on DVD yet?

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/09 at 12:25 am

I think the writing was terrific on that show too....and I think I may have seen that episode "Stephanie's Conversation" on TV Land or syndication some years ago. Has that particular season been released on DVD yet?

Yep  season 4 $24 at amazon.

I have to apologize...you know how you think one word but type another? That happened to me... the ep is actually Stephanie's Conversion.... don't know where I got conversation from  :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...