inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Least favorite character in a 1970's TV show

Written By: Frank on 02/19/09 at 1:02 am

Mine is either Ted Baxter - Mary Tyler Moore show

or could be Charles Emmerson Winchester in MASH.

Chester Tate in SOAP comes to mind
"Lana" in Three's company is right up there too. 8-P

What's your least favorite character?

Subject: Re: Least favorite character in a 1970's TV show

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/09 at 1:18 am

Hands down... JJ Evans... Jimmie Walker.. I cannot begin to tell you how much I detest that character.

and George Jefferson...

who did David Ogden Stiers play on MASH again? Him... or and frank whats his face on MASH (obviously I wasn't really into MASH)

Boss Hogg

Remember the strange guy from Mork from Ork. He dressed like a Monk and was a little nuts? I hated him too

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/19/09 at 5:34 am

Twiki from Buck Rodgers, or the mop haired kid from Battlestar Galactica.

Written By: Frank on 02/19/09 at 10:06 am

Hands down... JJ Evans... Jimmie Walker.. I cannot begin to tell you how much I detest that character.

and George Jefferson...

who did David Ogden Stiers play on MASH again? Him... or and frank whats his face on MASH (obviously I wasn't really into MASH)

Boss Hogg

Remember the strange guy from Mork from Ork. He dressed like a Monk and was a little nuts? I hated him too

David Ogden Stiers was Charles Emmerson Winchester in MASH. That's when it jumped the shark for me.
The strange guy from Mork was named Exidor (perhaps the spelling is incorrect)

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 02/19/09 at 10:34 am

Frank Burns'  since I can't stand "busybody" types whether real or fictional.

Written By: Kylie on 02/19/09 at 3:32 pm

Jan Brady  8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P
Keith Partridge 8-P 8-P 8-P

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/09 at 10:19 pm

Exidor was awesome.  He was always appearing in unusual places and was so out of the ordinary.  The episode with the haunted house, he was found vacationing in Mindy's closet ;D

I didn't like Doris Roberts on SOAP.  She played Father Tim's mother and was a meddler, but not in a funny way like on Raymond.  She was mean, demanding and controlling and thank god she didn't star on all 4 seasons LOL

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/09 at 10:20 pm

Exidor was awesome.  He was always appearing in unusual places and was so out of the ordinary.  The episode with the haunted house, he was found vacationing in Mindy's closet ;D

I didn't like Doris Roberts on SOAP.  She played Father Tim's mother and was a meddler, but not in a funny way like on Raymond.  She was mean, demanding and controlling and thank god she didn't star on all 4 seasons LOL

I didn't like John byner on soap...but I don't remember why

oh  Joe!...the guy Rhoda married... I hated Joe.

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/09 at 10:26 pm

I didn't like John byner on soap...but I don't remember why

He played Detective Donahue.  Alot of people generally forget he was on that show because he's best known for Bizarre

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 11:12 pm

I have to say Sally Struthers as Gloria Stivick only because I'm such a huge fan of "All in the Family."  The character was completely weak and Struthers had nothing approaching the talent of O'Connor, Stapleton, and Reiner.  At a time when the second wave of feminism was at the forefront, Sally Struther played the bimbo wife.
::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/09 at 11:20 pm

I have to say Sally Struthers as Gloria Stivick only because I'm such a huge fan of "All in the Family."  The character was completely weak and Struthers had nothing approaching the talent of O'Connor, Stapleton, and Reiner.  At a time when the second wave of feminism was at the forefront, Sally Struther played the bimbo wife.

I have to disagree... Gloria was a woman struggling to find independence in the house she grew up in.
Edith was her role model all she ever saw was Edith denying herself pleasure to take care of Archie and when Gloria married Mike, as much as she was trying to embrace the new movement she was also very much her mother's daughter. Taking a stand with her husband siding with his politics she did all that partially because she believed it....but also because its the kind of wife she learned how to be....

Really she married a freeloading professional student who didn't like her working outside of the house. Mike was not the free thinker he professed when it came to women's issues. He still had some backwards ideals in that arena. 

The times Gloria stood up for herself, that was woman striving towards independence and she tried to get Edith on board as well.... Gloria tried hard- she just couldn't always win the war because her opponents were not stronger....just more stubborn.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 11:40 pm

I have to disagree... Gloria was a woman struggling to find independence in the house she grew up in.
Edith was her role model all she ever saw was Edith denying herself pleasure to take care of Archie and when Gloria married Mike, as much as she was trying to embrace the new movement she was also very much her mother's daughter. Taking a stand with her husband siding with his politics she did all that partially because she believed it....but also because its the kind of wife she learned how to be....

Really she married a freeloading professional student who didn't like her working outside of the house. Mike was not the free thinker he professed when it came to women's issues. He still had some backwards ideals in that arena. 

The times Gloria stood up for herself, that was woman striving towards independence and she tried to get Edith on board as well.... Gloria tried hard- she just couldn't always win the war because her opponents were not stronger....just more stubborn.

Yes...these are salient points you make.  I suppose my problem is less with the character than with Struthers herself.  I just think she's a crummy actor.

You reminded me of the episode in which Mike wants Gloria to wear that wig during sex!  I think what you saw with Mike Stivick was a problem liberal men had in the '70s (and still do to some degree).  Mike agreed with "women's lib" on principle but didn't want to do women's work around the house.  Contrast the episode in which he takes up sewing as a hobby, for which Archie ridicules him, with the episode in which Gloria demands he sew his own button his own shirt so he sneaks downstairs and asks Edith to do it, who is delighted to help him...and Gloria stops her!

There's also a trenchant episode in which Edith explains to Mike that Archie is actually very jealous of him because Mike has the opportunity to pursue the education Archie never had, and what Archie is is all Archie will ever be. 

Other AITF fans might disagree, but the show seems dated when if focuses on Mike and Gloria's marital problems, but the liberal versus conservative arguments between Archie and Mike are still just as sharp...the current events have changed, but the principles are still spot- on.

Another aspect that gets overlooked is Archie's street smarts versus Mike's naivete.  Archie is ignorant and a bigot we laugh at, but he also grew up in a tougher world than Mike and Gloria.  "He's been to the school of hard knocks," as they used to say. I wish the show itself had played up this aspect of Archie a little more.  There's one episode in which Archie says, "What is it with you people that you have sit down and talk about how you FEEL about everything!"  To me that wasn't just Archie being insensitive again; he was trying to make a point about having to DO things in life regardless of how you feel about them.  Archie and Edith were still married.  Mike and Gloria, you could tell, would end up getting divorced in the early '80s. 

Our next door neighbors were working class people of the same generation as Archie and Edith.  The roles were reversed.  He was the sweet and warm-hearted one while she was the grumpy and cantankerous one.  Nonetheless, they're still married in today and they're in their eighties.  Maybe they weren't always happily married but they got through their marital problems and did not give up, because that was what you were supposed to do regardless of how you FELT about it. 

Mike and Gloria were closer to my own parents' age (a little younger), but closer.  In my parents' generation, I'm seeing a lot of lonely old people.  My mother is one of them.  She got divorced at 41 and never again found the "right" man.

Written By: Frank on 02/20/09 at 12:06 am

With Archie and Rob Reiner as strong characters, there had to be someone there as more of a background type person. Anyone actually could have played that role (Except for maybe Roseanne barr  ;)) and the show would have suceeded. I thought she was fine but also not the type of person that I think a Mike Stivic would have married. I can't say I didn't like her, but out of the 4 main characters she was my least favorite

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/20/09 at 7:42 am

And I have to disagree with you Snoz, Gloria may have been up with Women and Racial equality,and getting her Liberal Education, but she was at heart, a whiney wench. Anytime she was stuck between a rock and a hard place, she would break down and whine. Edith on the other hand, may have seemed like a weak ditz, but she was much stronger than anyone realized. She usually gave in to Archie, because she was his wife and it was her place. But, she would say what needed to be said, regardless of how he liked it.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 1:41 pm

And I have to disagree with you Snoz, Gloria may have been up with Women and Racial equality,and getting her Liberal Education, but she was at heart, a whiney wench. Anytime she was stuck between a rock and a hard place, she would break down and whine. Edith on the other hand, may have seemed like a weak ditz, but she was much stronger than anyone realized. She usually gave in to Archie, because she was his wife and it was her place. But, she would say what needed to be said, regardless of how he liked it.

I think Gloria whined because she was still, in a lot of ways, a little girl. It's hard to be a full fledged grown up when you're still living under your parents roof. 

Edith showed strength sometimes but she sure took far more than she ever gave.

Written By: Frank on 02/20/09 at 2:17 pm

Another character I didn't like: Oscar Goldman - Six Million dollar man

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/20/09 at 2:29 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of Gerald Ford either.

Written By: Frank on 02/20/09 at 2:34 pm

I always enjoyed Chevy Chase's imitations of Pres Ford back in the early days on SNL

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 2:35 pm

i'd have to go with any and all sassy housecleaners, like what's her annoying face from "diff'rent strokes."

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/LushOne/Diffrent-Strokes-Photograph-C101017.jpg

she's the one who looks like she just got fatally stabbed in the back. but she didn't actually get stabbed, because there is no justice in this world.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 2:40 pm

i'd have to go with any and all sassy housecleaners, like what's her annoying face from "diff'rent strokes."

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/LushOne/Diffrent-Strokes-Photograph-C101017.jpg

she's the one who looks like she just got fatally stabbed in the back. but she didn't actually get stabbed, because there is no justice in this world.

aw I loved Mrs Garret but I liked her better on Facts of Life

Written By: Frank on 02/20/09 at 2:44 pm

add to that just about any character from Different Strokes

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 2:45 pm

add to that just about any character from Different Strokes
willis and kim richards salvaged their dignity. other than that, yeah, pretty much.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 2:47 pm

willis and kim richards salvaged their dignity. other than that, yeah, pretty much.

kim richards?  freudian slip there?

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 2:49 pm

kim richards?  freudian slip there?
no, she was a regular guest star because diff'rent strokes was a spinoff(ish) of hello larry.

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 2:49 pm

plus she was in everything! if it came out in the 70s, chances are she was in it.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 2:55 pm

no, she was a regular guest star because diff'rent strokes was a spinoff(ish) of hello larry.

ah I forgot about that

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/20/09 at 3:13 pm

And that dignity went down the tubes when it came out that Paris Hilton is her niece.

Written By: Tia on 02/20/09 at 3:20 pm

And that dignity went down the tubes when it came out that Paris Hilton is her niece.
i blame the hilton gene for that, not the richards gene.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 02/21/09 at 2:46 am

I never thought Les Nessman was all that funny.  Well that's not true - I used to think so, but not anymore...

Also, I'm wondering how an impersonation of Gerald Ford is even possible..?

Written By: Tia on 02/21/09 at 6:57 am

Also, I'm wondering how an impersonation of Gerald Ford is even possible..?
it's easy! just trip over stuff.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/09 at 10:26 am

it's easy! just trip over stuff.

ah back when SNL was so good they didn't even try to look like the people they impersonated....cuz they didn't have to!

Written By: Womble on 03/22/09 at 5:39 pm

I found all the characters on "One Day At A Time" annoying. Especially Ann Romano and Schneider's wise-cracking Barmaid girlfriend. Bonnie Frankin's over-acting and weird facial expressions just bugged the heck outta' me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/09 at 12:56 am

Hey, that wasn't a teevee show!  That was our country!

I mean, yeah, it was kinda like a sit-com come to think of it.  You had the lovable bumbler dad who tripped over stuff and hit his head a lot, but he was a great ball player in college and really knew his sports.  His wife was a strong and resolute character who fought breast cancer and did everything she could to help others people, bless her big heart.  The college age son was kind of a younger version of his father...and so on and so on...and it got canceled after three seasons!
:P

The Jeffersons--I always hated that show.  It had nothing going for it.  Its biggest problem was its spin-off status.  George Jefferson was the irritable grump next door to the Bunkers.  He was sort of a black Archie; however, since he was peripheral, they didn't have to develop his character like they did Archie.  Then when they made Jeffersons its own show, the writers STILL didn't develop George...so he became tedious and predictable.

And Chuck Cunningham?  What's up with that?  The kid goes out to play basketball and never comes back.  They didn't even bother looking for him, I mean, WTF?

Written By: Frank on 03/23/09 at 4:52 pm

And Chuck Cunningham?  What's up with that?  The kid goes out to play basketball and never comes back.  They didn't even bother looking for him, I mean, WTF?

I think Chuck was captured by aliens and he'll came back in the year 2016 and tell us all about it, then sue Happy Days for 110 Million for kicking him off the show. Pete best will be his lawyer in the made for TV movie. Michael Jackson will take care of the daycare during production and sing the lead song "Chuck's back!"

OK..my imagination has taken me way of topic...more green pills now  ;)

Written By: Womble on 03/28/09 at 12:32 pm

I think Chuck was captured by aliens and he'll came back in the year 2016 and tell us all about it, then sue Happy Days for 110 Million for kicking him off the show. Pete best will be his lawyer in the made for TV movie. Michael Jackson will take care of the daycare during production and sing the lead song "Chuck's back!"

OK..my imagination has taken me way of topic...more green pills now  ;)

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/28/09 at 4:59 pm

Come to think of it, I didn't care much for Chuck... or Joanie and Chachi either.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/09 at 1:59 am

Come to think of it, I didn't care much for Chuck... or Joanie and Chachi either.

That was a Spinoff that never should have happened.

Just like Seth MacFarland's "The Cleveland Show" is starting next season.  Shouldn't be happening. 

Written By: gibbo on 03/29/09 at 7:32 pm

I really didn't l;ike the character Adam Rich played in Eight Is Enough. Should have made it Seven is Enough and bumped that kid off.... Stupid little haircut...stupid little kid!!!  8-P

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/29/09 at 8:00 pm

I really didn't l;ike the character Adam Rich played in Eight Is Enough. Should have made it Seven is Enough and bumped that kid off.... Stupid little haircut...stupid little kid!!!  8-P
He wasn't nearly as annoying as Cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch, or that kid on Battlestar Galactica.

Written By: Michael C. on 03/29/09 at 8:26 pm

Yeah......It was really like the attack of the short blond Kid with the bowl cut..............

He wasn't nearly as annoying as Cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch, or that kid on Battlestar Galactica.

Written By: gibbo on 03/29/09 at 8:42 pm

Geez...I forgot about cousin Oliver!  ;D  Yep...hated that kid as well.  Let's just say...if they had a bowl cut...I didn't like them!

Written By: snozberries on 03/30/09 at 12:59 am

Aw I liked Boxey... and I totally wanted to get my own Daggit!  :D

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/30/09 at 9:08 am

Let's just say...if they had a bowl cut...I didn't like them!
I know you ain't talking about Moe...

Written By: Womble on 03/30/09 at 10:00 am

I thought the Quinn Cummings character was annoying on the show 'Family'. She was a little girl who spoke like an adult, had a falsetto voice and had a lisp. Very irritating.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/09 at 2:18 pm

Alice. I love Mel, Vera, & Flo but Alice was just so boring. Oh yeah, couldn't stand Tommy either. I think Alice should have moved with Tommy and just had it Mel's Diner.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 10:09 pm

Did somebody already mention Scrappy?
???

Written By: Frank on 03/31/09 at 12:13 am

Did somebody already mention Scrappy?
???

Good point. Scrappy destroyed scooby doo when he came. I think the producers got hold of some bad impure scooby snacks when they thought of that one. He'd be way up there in a "Worst cartoon character in a Saturday morning cartoon show"

Check for new replies or respond here...