inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hippies or Post Hippies?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/28/09 at 5:22 pm

Hey--

My parents were born in the mid '50s, and so didnt turn 18 till around '72, '73. But they had the same attitude as hippies, and my father wore long hair and a mustache (but other traditional hippie clothes). What would they (and other kids who were hippie-ish in the mid 70s) be called?

Subject: Re: Hippies or Post Hippies?

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/09 at 5:39 pm

hippies.... hippiedom started in about 68 and ran until 77  or so

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/09 at 1:56 am

Hippies.

The post-hippies were all wrapped up in personal neuroses, going to business school, joining scientology, and taking EST seminars!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/29/09 at 5:53 am

Yippies

Wiki:

The term Yippie was thought up by Krassner and Hoffman on New Year's Eve 1967. Paul Krassner wrote in a January 2007 article in the Los Angeles Times:

"We needed a name to signify the radicalization of hippies, and I came up with Yippie as a label for a phenomenon that already existed, an organic coalition of psychedelic hippies and political activists. In the process of cross-fertilization at antiwar demonstrations, we had come to share an awareness that there was a linear connection between putting kids in prison for smoking pot in this country and burning them to death with napalm on the other side of the planet."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/09 at 11:30 am

I'm still a hippie.

Peace, man.  8)

:D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/30/09 at 11:59 am

This is a complete generalization, but as I recall, until around 1973-ish, hippies were regarded as a peace-loving, altruistic, social activist group of people who tended to indulge at times.  Whereas after this, the few real hippies that were left were more of a drop-out, burn-out, drug-head group.

Written By: 90steen on 03/30/09 at 9:20 pm

hippies.... hippiedom started in about 68 and ran until 77  or so

How could you rule 1967 out?
Haight-Ashbury! The summer of love?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 9:55 pm

This is a complete generalization, but as I recall, until around 1973-ish, hippies were regarded as a peace-loving, altruistic, social activist group of people who tended to indulge at times.  Whereas after this, the few real hippies that were left were more of a drop-out, burn-out, drug-head group.

The reality often failed to reach the ideal...or even get close.  I grew up exposed to the dark side of hippiedom: Drug-runners, cults of personality, unhealthy sexual behavior, deep cynicism, anti-social behavior, etc. 

Your temperament, moral disposition, and level of maturity attained prior to becoming a hippie determined what kind of hippie you would be.  Smoking grass, wearing a dashiki, and strumming folk tunes had little to do with it. 

My folks got in all kinds of trouble being in the counterculture because they were angry children in grown up bodies.  The were educated but confused.  Seekers but not finders.

Unfortunately, there was more of social pathology in hippie circles than old hippies want to admit.  It was and is seductive for those with unresolved internal distress to seek refuge in anti-establishment convictions.

This is not to say one can't heal one's soul and fight the system at the same time, it's that healing the soul is a much harder task.

That said, there was indeed in the hippie movement a tangible effort to affect positive change.  This is what happens when you get a secure middle class with easy access to society's goods.  The establishment understood what was going on and set out to kill that access...and they did.
:(

Written By: danootaandme on 03/31/09 at 6:00 am

^Well said with a capital karma

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/09 at 11:33 am

^Well said with a capital karma

Somebody mentioned "Cheech & Chong" in the hippie movies thread.  Uh-oh!  Cheech & Chong was not the goal of the counterculture.  Their act was a spoof on the goofballs who filtered into the counterculture; the ones who were just in it for sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll.  One of their early sketches demonstrated what happened when dopey kids tried to form communes.  I don't remember it verbatim, but here's some I recall:

"Did you flush the toilet?"
"Yeah."
"Oh, man, you know we're not supposed to flush the toilet.  You're gonna hafta clean it up!

"By the way I was looking for MY Black Sabbath record, which I found in YOUR room!"
"Hey, man, that's MY Black Sabbath record!"
"No, it isn't man, It's MY Black Sabbath record; my old lady ripped it off!"
"Never did, man!"
"Yes she did; did so!"
"Never did man!"
"What were you doing in our room, man?"
"It's not your room!"
"Yes it is man; the place with the tie-dye curtain and the two bricks is OUR room, man!"
"Then what was YOUR dog doing in MY room?"
"Hey, Toke can go anywhere in the house if he wants to, man!"
"Yeah, that's the problem with that dog--he goes everywhere in the house!"

"Hey, man, did you eat all the bologna?"
"Hey, I paid for half of that bologna!"
"Yeah, but the half you ate was MY half, man!"
"Never did, man!"
"Did so!"
"Never did, man!"
"Did so!"

(and so on and so on and so on...)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jinnwink.gif

Written By: joeman on 04/01/09 at 10:49 pm

Hey--

My parents were born in the mid '50s, and so didnt turn 18 till around '72, '73. But they had the same attitude as hippies, and my father wore long hair and a mustache (but other traditional hippie clothes). What would they (and other kids who were hippie-ish in the mid 70s) be called?

Yeah, but they certainly did not go to Woodstock in 1969, which is a highlight of the hippie culture.

I don't think it does matter the age of hippies though, since there were some hippies back in the day were older than the baby boomers born in 1946.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/03/09 at 7:54 pm

Journalists began calling this counterculture "freaks" (ex. Jesus Freak movement) around 1971 or so. In reading Rolling Stones' "The '70s", it states at the turn of the decade people, rather than looking for a radical change, reflected upon the changes made in the '60s and wanted to perfect them; they wanted to use the '60s as a template and it led to societal changes like modern science applications that still hold today.

Written By: V.G. on 04/09/09 at 1:21 am

Hey--

Your parents are my age. If your parents smoked pot in high school they might have been called "freaks" (post-hippies, and the word had no sexual connotations then). See this group in the great tv series (Judd Apatow's starter set) called "Freaks and Geeks." That show reminds me of high school, as does Linklater's movie "Dazed and Confused." The partying kids with long hair would have been called freaks. No one protested anything, it was all about the parties. The seriousness of the late 60s and early 70s activism was over by about 1976. There were freaks, geeks or nerds, and jocks--and I remember parties where these types all were welcome.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 04/09/09 at 7:33 am

Your parents are my age. If your parents smoked pot in high school they might have been called "freaks" (post-hippies, and the word had no sexual connotations then).
You guys must be really young... my older siblings were born in the mid- late 50's. While my Brother took a different path, my Sister hung out with Hippies, and I hung out with her even though I was 11 years younger. I remember going to Fish Frys with her, and listening to grass roots type rock, psychedelic music, and them passing around a cigarette...

Written By: danootaandme on 04/09/09 at 11:57 am

Yeah, but they certainly did not go to Woodstock in 1969, which is a highlight of the hippie culture.

I don't think it does matter the age of hippies though, since there were some hippies back in the day were older than the baby boomers born in 1946.

I went to Woodstock

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/09 at 5:51 pm

I went to Woodstock

You were there?  Cool!

8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/09 at 5:55 pm

You guys must be really young... my older siblings were born in the mid- late 50's. While my Brother took a different path, my Sister hung out with Hippies, and I hung out with her even though I was 11 years younger. I remember going to Fish Frys with her, and listening to grass roots type rock, psychedelic music, and them passing around a cigarette...

We've got more middle aged folks around here than your average pop culture message board because inthe00s is much more comprehensive than most. 
;)

Check for new replies or respond here...