inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hard Rock vs. Heavy Metal vs. Disco vs. Punk in 1975-1979 (sociology)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/28/09 at 5:32 pm

By the end of the '70s, music was splintered in many genres--the most important of which were Hard Rock, Prog Rock, Metal, Punk and Disco. Hard Rock (Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, KISS etc), Prog Rock (Led Zeppelin, Rush, King Crimson etc) and Heavy Metal (Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Van Halen etc) were well established and blooming genres--Though Prog Rock was beginning to fade in popularity. Disco (Bee Gees, Hues Corporation, Walther Murphy etc) and Punk Rock (Six Pistols, Clash, Fear etc). What do you like the most--what do you think was the most interesting as a subculture (clothes, style, hairsyles, etc) and which was the most influencial.

I find the very varyin styles to be interesting. I mean, a lot of Hard Rock and Prog bands/fans dressed the same way as the Hippies did in the late 60s, with long hair, jeans, beards, mustaches, t-shirts, denim etc, whereas Metal fans were beginning to wear the leather jackets, and pants, chains and bouffant hairsytles which would really come into their own in the 80s; Disco was much more 'refined'--suits, slacks, button down shirts and short hair--and Punk was just really radical (ripped clothes, spikes, mohawks, skinhead culture,etc)

Subject: Re: Hard Rock vs. Heavy Metal vs. Disco vs. Punk in 1975-1979 (sociology)

Written By: Capt Quirk on 03/28/09 at 5:52 pm

I'm not really a Heavy Metal type, and don't feel Van Halen belongs there. I would say they are more Hard Rock, along with Sabbath. I also liked some of the more mainstreamed Punk, like Adam Ant.

Subject: Re: Hard Rock vs. Heavy Metal vs. Disco vs. Punk in 1975-1979 (sociology)

Written By: woops on 03/28/09 at 6:50 pm

As Billy Joel stated, "It's Still Rock & Roll To Me"  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/09 at 1:57 am

Count 1: Heavy Metal
Count 2: Punk

Written By: Frank on 03/29/09 at 2:14 am

From 1975 to 1979, I was listening to Billy Joel, The Police, Fleetwood mac, Eagles, E.L.O, ABBA, ONJ, Supertramp, Genesis, Bee Gees, Barry Manilow. ..and I don't know where that all fits in, but I guess I'd chose Progressive Rock as my fave amongst the choices.

Check for new replies or respond here...