inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Supertramp's best 70's Album

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 11:14 pm

I actually enjoy all 3 albums. My mind keeps changing as to which one I prefer. I like every song from any of the 3 albums. I know Breakfast in America was more commercial than the other 2.

If I had to vote today, I'd chose "Crime of the Century" (I also love the album cover and my album was played to death at parties in the 70's and 80's.) Someone once put some 'chip dip' on top of my album and it was hard to get it off after it dried up. Ahhh..life before CD's

( I did not include the album "Crisis, what Crisis" as I didn't think it help up against the other 3)
Please vote and share your thoughts

Subject: Re: Supertramp's best 70's Album

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/09 at 11:31 pm

The one that had 'Give A Little Bit', which I believe was 'Even in the Quiest Moments'

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 11:38 pm

The one that had 'Give A Little Bit', which I believe was 'Even in the Quiest Moments'

Yes, "Give a little bit" was on "Even in the quietest moments"  It was covered over the past few years, but can't recall the band that did it. Also sounds pretty good.

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/09 at 11:42 pm

The only cover of a Supertramp song that I know of was the immensely popular 2002 hit 'The Logical Song' by German techno band Scooter.  In the UK, it charted higher than Supertramp's original :o

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/02/09 at 12:04 am

saw them live in Concord California about 8 years ago but I was really there to see Styx, never been much of a Supertramp fan, but they were good.

Written By: Frank on 04/02/09 at 12:11 am

saw them live in Concord California about 8 years ago but I was really there to see Styx, never been much of a Supertramp fan, but they were good.

I saw Supertramp in 1982..They were really popular in Canada from about 1974 to 1983 ish. Supertramp, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Led Zeppelin. All of them quite popular.

I've never seen STYX, but would like to have seen them, back in the day. I really liked their "Grand Illusion" album. I had that album, and the record was all white, so cool back then

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/02/09 at 12:34 am

I saw Supertramp in 1982..They were really popular in Canada from about 1974 to 1983 ish. Supertramp, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Led Zeppelin. All of them quite popular.

I've never seen STYX, but would like to have seen them, back in the day. I really liked their "Grand Illusion" album. I had that album, and the record was all white, so cool back then
Styx was superb in concert.  as for me, from 1969 on I've been a Led Zeppelin fan.    what's unusual is that 2 of the bands you named, Genesis & Pink Floyd were bands I never got into. never got into the Grateful Dead either.

Written By: Frank on 04/02/09 at 12:38 am

Styx was superb in concert.  as for me, from 1969 on I've been a Led Zeppelin fan.    what's unusual is that 2 of the bands you named, Genesis & Pink Floyd were bands I never got into. never got into the Grateful Dead either.

I've never got into the Grateful Dead either. I love Genesis, probably my 2nd fave band after the Beatles. Seen Genesis a few times in concert. Their music changed a lot from it's early days till the late 80's , early 90's

Written By: mooster on 04/02/09 at 4:33 am

Definitely Crime of the century (1974) - the title track is an absolute classic IMHO

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/02/09 at 11:51 am

I said Breakfast in America. Love the album and still listen to it frequently (well, at least songs from it).

I LOVE Styx. One of my favorite 70s band.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/02/09 at 4:41 pm

Definitely Crime of the century (1974) - the title track is an absolute classic IMHO

Great song. My favorite from that album is "Hide in your shell"  The Lyrics are amazing. "Hide in your shell cause the world is out to bleed you for a ride. What will you gain making your life a little longer? "

Written By: midnite on 04/02/09 at 7:11 pm

Sorry for going "mainstream" but I have always loved Breakfast In America.  It has been in my rotation for years since I was a kid and had it on vinyl.

Written By: Frank on 04/04/09 at 12:47 am

Sorry for going "mainstream" but I have always loved Breakfast In America.  It has been in my rotation for years since I was a kid and had it on vinyl.

Hey, Breakfast in America is a fabulous album. Some great tunes on there (Goodbye Stranger, Take the long way home, Logical Song, and the title track as well). It was my favorite album from 1979.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/09 at 12:42 pm

"Breakfast in America" 'coz it's the one I know!  My sister had a copy.

I used to think Roger Hodgson was a girl.  You know, that voice...

But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

:P

Written By: Frank on 04/09/09 at 12:48 am

"Breakfast in America" 'coz it's the one I know!  My sister had a copy.

I used to think Roger Hodgson was a girl.  You know, that voice...

But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible,
Logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable,
Clinical, intellectual, cynical.

My wife still doesn't believe it's a MAN singing. Even when I show her a video...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/09 at 5:57 pm

My wife still doesn't believe it's a MAN singing. Even when I show her a video...

Remember his solo hit, "Sleeping with the Enemy"?  That was fun song.

Written By: Robertfranklin on 04/09/09 at 10:25 pm

"Breakfast in America" with the song "Take the Long Way Home" was my favorite.  8)

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/14/09 at 4:20 pm

The guy who's the lead singer looks like Jesus.

Written By: Frank on 04/14/09 at 5:37 pm

...but sounds like Mary Magdalene  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/14/09 at 5:42 pm

Roger Hodgson does bear a slight resemblance to Jesus... ;D

Written By: Frank on 04/14/09 at 5:46 pm

Roger Hodgson does bear a slight resemblance to Jesus... ;D

...or what we perceive Jesus to look like.
Being from the middle-east, Jesus was probably a lot darker than we think he was.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/14/09 at 5:52 pm

...or what we perceive Jesus to look like.
Being from the middle-east, Jesus was probably a lot darker than we think he was.

I'm sure you're probably right about that!  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/09 at 11:59 am

I could make a comment about how do people KNOW what Jesus looked like but I should probably  :-X

:D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/15/09 at 6:20 pm

I could make a comment about how do people KNOW what Jesus looked like but I should probably  :-X

:D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I seen pitchers of him at church!  Tall, blond, great pecs.  I think he was a Swedish dude who worked out a lot!

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/16/09 at 5:20 pm

I'm sure you're probably right about that!  ;)

Bloody-well right! ;)

Written By: Frank on 04/16/09 at 11:53 pm

Bloody-well right! ;)

Ah, love these casual conversations.

Check for new replies or respond here...