inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone think the best '70s music was the shorter pop songs?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/09 at 7:39 pm

Alot of people who've read my posts probably know I'm really picky with 70s music. For instance, I think alot of guitar oriented classic rock is overrated (no offense to any fans, but Led Zeppelin totally bores me to death!), and I also don't like the slow monotonous songs like "Afternoon Delight" either.

The poppy stuff inbetween those two extremes is really good though. I love early songs by the Police, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, Cars, Commodores, Toto and Tom Petty just as much as their 80s stuff. I grew up listening to alot of that actually. :)

There's a few one hit wonders too...like "Still the One" by Orleans rocks, that's a real catchy, short pop song.

Subject: Re: Does anyone think the best '70s music was the shorter pop songs?

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/09 at 7:51 pm

Not sure what you mean by short pop songs.  For me, the best 70s songs were the ones that were (as Philip Eno would say) "pleasant to the ear".  To each their own though.  If I find a song catchy, I will enjoy it, no matter what genre it is :)

There's a few one hit wonders too...like "Still the One" by Orleans rocks, that's a real catchy, short pop song.

not a one hit wonder

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/09 at 7:54 pm

^Oh yeah, I forgot "Dance With Me" for a second.

I have a varied taste as well, but I think the instrumentation has alot to do with it. I love guitars when they're used either as a backup or just for a solo (like with Still the One), but when it's the pervasive instrument throughout the whole song, that gets annoying.

I actually think some classic rock (i.e. "Slow Ride") has that in common with post grunge bands, which is why both annoy me. If a song sounds the same all the way through.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/09 at 8:08 pm

In general, when pop artists wanted an album of 10 songs in 40 minutes there was more incentive to make every second count.  Most "jam bands" bore me because they don't have the chops to make it last for 12 or 14 minutes.  I'm not going to to name names but themes of skulls and airships are hints...
;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/09 at 8:15 pm

^Oh yeah, I forgot "Dance With Me" for a second.

More than just that one as well.  They had 5 hits during the 70s, and I know for some (me included), 'Love Takes Time' was their best

1975 - Let There Be Music
1975 - Dance With Me
1976 - Still the One
1977 - Reach
1979 - Love Takes Time

I love guitars when they're used either as a backup or just for a solo (like with Still the One), but when it's the pervasive instrument throughout the whole song, that gets annoying.

That was one of the more popular music styles of the decade.  I know what you mean though.  Some of those lengthy guitar based rock songs can get quite boring, but there are also many of them that are quite good.  You just have to find ones that you like

Written By: 90steen on 04/08/09 at 8:58 pm

Is it bad for me to admit that my favorite 70's music is the disco?  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/09 at 9:24 pm

No worries dude, "Disco Inferno" is a good song, I like a few others too.

Written By: Frank on 04/08/09 at 11:56 pm

Alot of people who've read my posts probably know I'm really picky with 70s music. For instance, I think alot of guitar oriented classic rock is overrated (no offense to any fans, but Led Zeppelin totally bores me to death!), and I also don't like the slow monotonous songs like "Afternoon Delight" either.

The poppy stuff inbetween those two extremes is really good though. I love early songs by the Police, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, Cars, Commodores, Toto and Tom Petty just as much as their 80s stuff. I grew up listening to alot of that actually. :)

Sounds like you are talking about late seventies songs, judging by the bands you listed. It depends what you like. I like Led Zeppelin. I also like Disco, and I really like Afternoon Delight, and I think Fleetwood Mac & the Police are fantastic bands. Not much in the 1970's I don't like. Not much

Written By: Capt Quirk on 04/09/09 at 7:42 am

Actually, I also like Afternoon Delight, I find it a very upbeat but mellow tune, where as Still the One is monotonous to me. Different strokes though, and that is why they make Chocolate and Vanilla... even though those that like Vanilla are wrong, but I digress. Actually, the stuff I liked the most in the early to mid 70's wasn't so much the Pop or Rock, but the novelty stuff. The Streak, Jaws, Guitarzan, Short People, Convoy, that stuff made me laugh. It still does, when I catch it on an Oldies station on those very rare occasions every 5 years or so.

And Disco still sucks :P

:)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/09 at 6:03 pm

Hey, there was everything from awesome disco to horrible disco, just like any other type of music.

My favorite disco tunes tended to be the LONGER electronic ones, such as Donna Summer/Giorgio Moroder, "I Feel Love."

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/09 at 10:54 pm

Sounds like you are talking about late seventies songs, judging by the bands you listed. It depends what you like. I like Led Zeppelin. I also like Disco, and I really like Afternoon Delight, and I think Fleetwood Mac & the Police are fantastic bands. Not much in the 1970's I don't like. Not much

Yeah I guess I was more thinking of 1976 to '80/81 or so. A few of those songs were still on the radio when I was a young kid, sometimes I got into their 80s songs then heard the earlier stuff later on too. Like most of Fleetwood Mac's early songs have the same sound "Little Lies" does, just without being synthesized.

I like some stuff from '71-75 too now that I think about it, like Steely Dan is good, or singer songwriters like America.

Written By: joeman on 04/11/09 at 5:51 am

Have you heard of ELO? some of their songs are new-wave like "Don't Bring Me Down"

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/09 at 8:15 am

Have you heard of ELO? some of their songs are new-wave like "Don't Bring Me Down"

That one is technically a disco single, which to me is weird because it does sound more new wave-ish than it does disco

Written By: loki 13 on 04/11/09 at 11:55 am

I've said this before but we are certainly opposites. The bands you've mentioned and the reasons you like them are the same reason I despise them.
I like the epics, being a progressive rock fan it's the concept albums I like. I don't like the campy straight 4/4 time, three chord, three minute, made
for radio rock. It shows zero imagination and very little talent. I want complexity, the 10-20 minute epics, the change in time signatures and individual
notes. Chords have their place in music but they shouldn't be the main part of any song.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/11/09 at 3:41 pm

Oh yeah dude, they're pretty good. Even their early songs seem synthy to me.

"Hold on Tight" is interesting because it almost sounds like hard rock in a 50s way!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/11/09 at 4:10 pm

I've said this before but we are certainly opposites. The bands you've mentioned and the reasons you like them are the same reason I despise them.
I like the epics, being a progressive rock fan it's the concept albums I like. I don't like the campy straight 4/4 time, three chord, three minute, made
for radio rock. It shows zero imagination and very little talent. I want complexity, the 10-20 minute epics, the change in time signatures and individual
notes. Chords have their place in music but they shouldn't be the main part of any song.

It's all good, man. ;) You know it's kinda neat to discuss music with you since we're basically on totally different ends of it. I get what you're saying though, I think that stuff does show good musicianship, it's probably fun to see in concerts too.

Maybe it's just because I started hearing music around 1985-88 and that was when some of the most poppy music was coming out.

I like some "real" classic rock though, from hearing my dad playing it. Like CCR and the Rolling Stones, but even they sort of have that simple pop/rock style to their songs. Although I bet that was heavy at the time, especially compared to the more innocent Beatles.

Written By: 90steen on 04/11/09 at 4:33 pm

I like some "real" classic rock though, from hearing my dad playing it. Like CCR and the Rolling Stones, but even they sort of have that simple pop/rock style to their songs. Although I bet that was heavy at the time, especially compared to the more innocent Beatles.

I have always despised 70's rock for as long as I can remember. I never understood why all the adults around me were saying it was the best overall. I still don't like it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/12/09 at 12:52 am

This is my absolute favorite kind of music. :)  I've always been a fan of ELO, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult, Supertramp, etc. Oh, and I LOVE disco music. I guess I should say that I do like the late '70s music better.

Written By: 90steen on 04/12/09 at 8:54 pm

This is my absolute favorite kind of music. :)  I've always been a fan of ELO, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult, Supertramp, etc. Oh, and I LOVE disco music. I guess I should say that I do like the late '70s music better.

I'll make an exception for Blue Oyster Cult. "Don't Fear The Reaper" is a great song. It's the only song by them I know though.

Written By: Michael C. on 04/12/09 at 9:50 pm

Love Takes Time was always My Fav Orleans song.

More than just that one as well.  They had 5 hits during the 70s, and I know for some (me included), 'Love Takes Time' was their best

1975 - Let There Be Music
1975 - Dance With Me
1976 - Still the One
1977 - Reach
1979 - Love Takes Time

That was one of the more popular music styles of the decade.  I know what you mean though.  Some of those lengthy guitar based rock songs can get quite boring, but there are also many of them that are quite good.  You just have to find ones that you like

Written By: Claybricks on 04/15/09 at 11:20 pm

One of my favorite 70's songs. It's only 10 minutes long lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8MYsii4DZY

Dan

Written By: Frank on 04/16/09 at 2:17 am

Dan

That's a great song. Grand Funk.

Written By: Frank on 04/16/09 at 2:20 am

I have always despised 70's rock for as long as I can remember. I never understood why all the adults around me were saying it was the best overall. I still don't like it.

I'm the opposite. I think most 70's songs are really good, and just about anything made after 1991..I just don't get it how anyone could like that stuff compared to 60's, 70's and 80's music. 
Seems like all the talent has gone.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 04/16/09 at 1:41 pm

Dan
One of my favorite songs is like 20 minutes, give or take a couple, depending on the version. Shame it only gets played once a year...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/16/09 at 10:36 pm

Love Takes Time was always My Fav Orleans song.

mine too! :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/17/09 at 2:26 pm

Alice Cooper is going to show up at your house and melt your face for saying that.  :o :o :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihjb3Z3O1Lk

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/09 at 11:06 pm

Yeah, there's only so much I can take at once, like listening to a classic rock station. I think 70s rock basically is one of those things where alot of it sucks or is overrated, but the stuff that is good is really good.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/17/09 at 11:10 pm

I'm the opposite. I think most 70's songs are really good, and just about anything made after 1991..I just don't get it how anyone could like that stuff compared to 60's, 70's and 80's music. 
Seems like all the talent has gone.

Even though I'm not a rap fan and I don't like how grunge/alternative is still influencing rock to an extent...but you've gotta admit the 90s had some awesome music. There was much more variety than now.

I bet I'm one of the few people who likes oldies, 80s AND 90s music (even some current stuff) all at once. ;)

Written By: Frank on 04/18/09 at 12:59 am

Even though I'm not a rap fan and I don't like how grunge/alternative is still influencing rock to an extent...but you've gotta admit the 90s had some awesome music.

Don't mean to offend anyone but I might like 5 songs that came out in the 90's, that's about it. I find that the talent has gone downhill fast since about 1990. In my opinion, songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's are so much better than after 1990. I just can't get into most new songs Maybe there's a generation gap there, I don't know.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/18/09 at 11:33 am

Yeah, there's only so much I can take at one time listen to a classic rock station. I think 70s rock music basically is one of those things where alot of it sucks or is overrated, but the stuff that is good is really good.
It's funny, that's kind of how I feel about 80's music.  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 04/18/09 at 1:36 pm

I find that most people confuse overplayed with overrated. The people who say a certain era of music is the best are the people
who lived through the music as it was released. Overrated doesn't apply to music as it would, say an athlete, because there are
no real stats to back up performance. Music is a personal choice and if millions of people claim a song or genre is the best that doesn't
make it overrated but well liked. Those making the overrated claim are the ones who don't like the music and are saying that the millions
who do like it are wrong. So don't despise the music of the 70's, for if it weren't for that music there wouldn't be the music you like today.
Every generation of music has an influence on the generation that follows. Just like life, music evolves, love what it's become but remember
how it came to be.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Duke Ellington who said: "There are only two types of music, good and bad."

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/19/09 at 10:12 am

Don't mean to offend anyone but I might like 5 songs that came out in the 90's, that's about it. I find that the talent has gone downhill fast since about 1990. In my opinion, songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's are so much better than after 1990. I just can't get into most new songs Maybe there's a generation gap there, I don't know.

True, I guess some of it is an acquired taste. ;) But in fairness I think alot of people don't get the best picture of 90s music. The songs people seem to associate are the crappy ones like "Ice Ice Baby". That or grunge and gangsta rap. People tend to overlook the better stuff, especially since some aren't on the radio as much now.

What I was into at the time was more pop, a teeny bit of alternative, or softer stuff. Like "I Swear" by All 4 One, that's such a great slow song. There were also some 80s type songs up to 1993 or so too.

I do totally agree with you about '80s music though. It's catchy and alot of fun, I've loved alot of those songs basically my whole life and grew up with them (I'm 27). Same with the few classics that I like. When I was a kid I didn't know the Beatles were already older, so they might as well have been new songs, lol.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/09 at 10:37 am

The 90s did have some good songs, but the key word there being "some".  You shouldn't have to weed through tons of garbage songs to find good ones.  In the 70s, you just turned on the radio and good songs were there.  Granted I was only 2 when the 70s ended, but looking through archived charts of what was popular, I rest my case

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/19/09 at 12:07 pm

^You know what, I think I finally figured out why I have such a different perception on '90s music than most non-fans. Back then I was listening to either those Todays hits and yesterday's favorites mix stations or adult contemporary, so I was familiarized with the poppy or softer songs.

From my experience people tend to hate alternative/grunge, rap and the cheesy songs like "Macarena" more often.

Check for new replies or respond here...